What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

i can see why he saw a clear distinction between Queen (even with Queens real divisive catalog this one sits even further left of center) and this song, for mine it has traces of style that hint to john denver with minute traces of the seekers.

It's got quite a bit of sea shanty about it, which is what I love so much.

Speaking of shanties, here's one from a band from my hometown, Spirit of the West. Their singer John Mann died just over a year ago from early onset alzheimers. Was so sad. I think I posted some of their music in this thread back then.

As to the topic of overlooked bands, I think for Canadian acts, the Odds would be close to the top of my list. They were close friends with John Mann, as it happens. And the wife of their bassist is best friends with a veterinarian I work with, so, of course - we are veterinarians to the band! They are very good dog dads. And just generally top human beings. And their drummer is hilarious, and insanely talented at baritone karaoke.

:musicnotes:🧡

I just randomly clicked on a youtube cover of Divinyls song, I Touch Myself.
Oh *, the cover was horrid.
Had to give my first thumbs down on youtube ever.
I think it was a band from Russia covering or something, it was terrible!!!

It's got quite a bit of sea shanty about it, which is what I love so much.

Speaking of shanties, here's one from a band from my hometown, Spirit of the West. Their singer John Mann died just over a year ago from early onset alzheimers. Was so sad. I think I posted some of their music in this thread back then.

As to the topic of overlooked bands, I think for Canadian acts, the Odds would be close to the top of my list. They were close friends with John Mann, as it happens. And the wife of their bassist is best friends with a veterinarian I work with, so, of course - we are veterinarians to the band! They are very good dog dads. And just generally top human beings. And their drummer is hilarious, and insanely talented at baritone karaoke.

:musicnotes:🧡

Regarding shanties, father in-law lives in Warwick UK which is famous for a folk festival which has a shanty group that go round to the local pubs. As the people in the pub take turns singing various verses. Been lucky enough to be there while its on. Lots of fun. Btw a Canadian band called the great big sea have a great shanty\folk sound.

Regarding shanties, father in-law lives in Warwick UK which is famous for a folk festival which has a shanty group that go round to the local pubs. As the people in the pub take turns singing various verses. Been lucky enough to be there while its on. Lots of fun. Btw a Canadian band called the great big sea have a great shanty\folk sound.
I saw Great Big Sea's first ever Australian show - they came through Melbourne on their way to Byron bluesfest and played a gig at the Corner. The way they told it, their instruments were held up in customs and they were a bee's dick away from having to do an entire show of a capella shanties :oops:. Was a brilliant gig, lots of Big Weddoes Energy in that band room, and sadly the only one they’ll play here, given they split a few years later. Their "Road Rage" live CD was a constant companion on a Maritimes road trip Mrs Z and I did in '01. Still a bloody good album.

I saw Great Big Sea's first ever Australian show - they came through Melbourne on their way to Byron bluesfest and played a gig at the Corner. The way they told it, their instruments were held up in customs and they were a bee's dick away from having to do an entire show of a capella shanties :oops:. Was a brilliant gig, lots of Big Weddoes Energy in that band room, and sadly the only one they’ll play here, given they split a few years later. Their "Road Rage" live CD was a constant companion on a Maritimes road trip Mrs Z and I did in '01. Still a bloody good album.

We don't really give them instruments here either. Sometimes we don't even let them inside! Haha.

Nah, that's really cool that you got to see them all the way down in your part of the world. They're such a Canadian staple. Did you guys make it to Newfoundland as part of your trip? I would love to go there one day. Been everywhere in the Maritimes but there.

Another gem off the CBC music channel - Blue Rodeo with Alan Doyle joining in. The intro to this makes me smile, because I saw Blue Rodeo play at an outdoor show in a crappy little farm town fair in Armstrong BC about 20 years ago. Couple hundred drunken farmers, and a whole bunch of cows and sheep.

Nah, that's really cool that you got to see them all the way down in your part of the world. They're such a Canadian staple. Did you guys make it to Newfoundland as part of your trip? I would love to go there one day. Been everywhere in the Maritimes but there.
Sadly, no. We were travelling on a budget at the time and the ferry was a bit pricey. The Rock is still on the wishlist. Went to New Brunswick, PEI, NS and the Gaspé Peninsula. Remains a highlight to this day, checking in to a random B&B at whatever town we stopped in every night, driving the Cabot Trail, lobster, fiddles, roadside inukshuks, good times.

Sadly, no. We were travelling on a budget at the time and the ferry was a bit pricey. The Rock is still on the wishlist. Went to New Brunswick, PEI, NS and the Gaspé Peninsula. Remains a highlight to this day, checking in to a random B&B at whatever town we stopped in every night, driving the Cabot Trail, lobster, fiddles, roadside inukshuks, good times.
Thars still a good way to travel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And expanding from shanties, I love this beautiful Gaelic waulking song by Enya. Waulking songs are Scottish folk songs, traditionally sung in the Gaelic language by women while waulking cloth. This practice involved a group of people beating newly woven tweed rhythmically against a table or similar surface to soften it.

Traditional methods of waulking spread with the Scottish diaspora. In Nova Scotia, and in particular on Cape Breton Island, waulking is known as milling.

Enya has said that this song is loosely based on traditional waulking songs. It translates -

Look, women working by
Day and late at night,
They sing of bright days that were,
A long way back and forth forever.

Kijk, vrouwen die tegen dag en laat bij nacht werken,
Zij zingen van heldere dagen die waren,
Een lange manier afwisselend voor altijd

:wales::scotland::canada:

Ok The Other Dean , some follow up to last night’s conversation ...

Sing, Sing, Sing. Goodman's big band’s signature tune. 80 years later it still bangs, thanks in no small part to Gene Krupa bashing the toms as hard as he can for 6 straight minutes.

The Goodman tune that every wannabe jazz clarinetist drags out to prove they can play fast is China Boy. Also features Gene Krupa being awesome.

Anat Cohen does BrazilIan choro

Cohen and Paquito D'Rivera absolutely shred the great Dr Lonnie Smith piece "And The World Weeps".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back