What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

These guys were fun at the Northcote Social Club a couple of weeks back. My son was curious about why the sound guy had set up the mike placement for the high-hat in an unusual position, so he asked. "Oh, it’s not turned on mate. Doesn’t need it in this room. Hits 'em too hard."

😂

To me this song encapsulates the feeling of letting everything go and just getting high to escape

Tom Petty...

We were in Darwin when Tom died - Midnight Oil played this as a tribute at their concert, which was pretty decent.

Just posted won’t back down in the depression thread. It came on my rotation at a perfect time for me. Such powerful lyrics.
It is one of those songs that can have a powerful effect. The two interpretations, by Petty and by Cash come at it from a different mindset, but each is uplift, dare I say, inspirational.

Sir Lord Baltimore, a 3 piece from USA formed around 1968, roughly the same time as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc, but virtually unknown, this track is from the their 1970 debut album of the same name, Kingdom Come :

Finally listened to this properly last night (not through poxy iphone speaker), and have to say, what a f***** smoking song!

Saw George at the prospect hill in Kew.
Jesus ! When ? Had my first beer there in my private school uniform age 16. Looked 14. Publican never batted an eyelid 😄
Would have been 1981 or 82. I lived off Victoria St in Richmond for a while, so the prospect hill was pretty frequently visited.
My uncle owned the Prospect Hill back in the late 70s/early 80s. He brought out some great OS bands. Unfortunately, I was too young to see any of them.

My uncle owned the Prospect Hill back in the late 70s/early 80s. He brought out some great OS bands. Unfortunately, I was too young to see any of them.
Wow! We used to go there pretty often - easily once a week or so back in 1980 - 82 when I lived in Richmond and thereabouts. Saw some good bands (and some bad ones) but the place was OK in my opinion. It used to get pretty packed - they had the best glass stacker I ever saw - it might even have been a girl. She could get a stack of plastic pots maybe 1.5 metres high and dodge her way through the crowd back to the bar.

I don't recall any of Hojuman 's hairy bikers at the prospect hill - there was a cohort of angels at the sentimental bloke in Bulleen but they never caused me any harm. This pub had a different crowd in general - was pretty big.

Some people didn't like it but the chevron was one of my favourites. Alfred nurses home up the road too was a bonus. They had a constant stream of top bands and the place had a good sound (if you ask me). If nothing was doing at the Chevron then just keep on driving down to St Kilda to the prince, the ballroom or the venue or up to Macys or the Armidale in the other direction. Too many pubs.... great days back then.

Wow! We used to go there pretty often - easily once a week or so back in 1980 - 82 when I lived in Richmond and thereabouts. Saw some good bands (and some bad ones) but the place was OK in my opinion. It used to get pretty packed - they had the best glass stacker I ever saw - it might even have been a girl. She could get a stack of plastic pots maybe 1.5 metres high and dodge her way through the crowd back to the bar.

I don't recall any of Hojuman 's hairy bikers at the prospect hill - there was a cohort of angels at the sentimental bloke in Bulleen but they never caused me any harm. This pub had a different crowd in general - was pretty big.

Some people didn't like it but the chevron was one of my favourites. Alfred nurses home up the road too was a bonus. They had a constant stream of top bands and the place had a good sound (if you ask me). If nothing was doing at the Chevron then just keep on driving down to St Kilda to the prince, the ballroom or the venue or up to Macys or the Armidale in the other direction. Too many pubs.... great days back then.

The " Bloke " still around ? Went there one night to see Aussie Crawl. We'd imbibed some certain fungi to liven up the night and l remember a rather largish lass skulling a carafe of wine because her friends had abandoned her. We ran !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The " Bloke " still around ? Went there one night to see Aussie Crawl. We'd imbibed some certain fungi to liven up the night and l remember a rather largish lass skulling a carafe of wine because her friends had abandoned her. We ran !
Were they telling dingo jokes that night Hoj?

Lindy Chamberlain jokes?

PS... Aussie Crawl were really awful in my opinion. And I live in Frankston - locals.

Then again, I also didn't like mental as anything, hated the cockroaches and young homebuyers.

Nearly every other band was ok though except for some of the cover bands that played downstairs at the Armidale.

Anyone who, like me, went to Marcellin back in the day cut their underaged cloth at “The ‘Bloke”.

Saw a heap of ripping gigs there and would inevitably spew up, pick up, and punch on at some stage.

Great days they were!

It’s more ritzy pokies pub than band venue nowadays sadly.

Anyone who, like me, went to Marcellin back in the day cut their underaged cloth at “The ‘Bloke”.

Saw a heap of ripping gigs there and would inevitably spew up, pick up, and punch on at some stage.

Great days they were!

It’s more ritzy pokies pub than band venue nowadays sadly.
There was usually the inevitable table of girls on the prowl, but often they'd be guarded by one of Hojuman 's hairy bikers so the average young bloke was torn between the prospect of a pick up or a punch up so I can see where you are coming at this from.

But it was a good place for bands that were pulling crowds like the Angels, Oils, Models, Men at Work, Hunners and the Enz.

I confess to seeing the Radiators there a few times as well. Compensated by also seeing Billy Miller's bands - and he genuinely is a great bloke.

Was that a " thing " with them ?
I saw them a couple of times and there were some unusual audience interactions including Lindy / dingo jokes.

Funny story - myself and a couple of mates were loitering in Lonsdale St waiting from somebody to head off to lunch when these two blokes in double denim walked past. One of them cast a sideways glance, and my mate pipes out with, "Hey, look, it's a James Reyne wannabe" of something like that. the other bloke looks up and it was James. With David who we'd never heard of back then. Of course he told us to * off, and of course we pissed ourselves laughing.

But even though some people like them and I even bought their first record, I thought Australian Crawl were horrid live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back