What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of that sort of stoner rock started coming out of Southern California in the early to mid 90s, Kyuss a real pioneer. I bought Kyuss "Blues For The Red Sun" when it came out around 1991/92, one of the metal show DJs on PBS or RRR absolutely flogged it and I lapped it up. Apparently it's only sold about 40,000 copies worldwide since but it, with the band's previous album "Wretch", paved the way for a whole genre, both through style and the personnel that went on to form other important bands.... Fu Manchu, Nebula, Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard. Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone" is the heaviest, sludgiest album I've ever heard.
I love my stoner riffage.

Saw kyuss support Metallica way back when.

And just because...

I love my stoner riffage.

Saw kyuss support Metallica way back when.
I couldn't afford to go at the time, but I think that support slot really put Kyuss on the map - here at least. Still can't reconcile reputed album sales vs influence and how many people have heard and cited "Blues For The Red Sun" as an influence. Googled it and it's readily available on CD for $24.99 so not rare either.

Last edited:
Fletch

Andrew John Leonard Fletcher, also known as Fletch, was an English keyboard player, DJ, and founding member of the electronic band Depeche Mode. In 2020, he and the band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Died: 26 May 2022

One of the real mysteries of the entertainment world. He didn't sing, play an instrument or write songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday I realised I hadn't listened to the Modern Lovers album for more than five years. So I cranked that mother*er on a drive into Sydney.

Its even better than I remember. Richman was like imperial era Morrissey - an ironic outcast who makes you misty eyed and guffaw on the turn of a dime.

I love the gnarly garage tone of Jerry Harrison's organ so much. And that Velvets-esque guitar sound, that's some white heat right there.

Yesterday I realised I hadn't listened to the Modern Lovers album for more than five years. So I cranked that motherducker on a drive into Sydney.

Its even better than I remember. Richman was like imperial era Morrissey - an ironic outcast who makes you misty eyed and guffaw on the turn of a dime.

I love the gnarly garage tone of Jerry Harrison's organ so much. And that Velvets-esque guitar sound, that's some white heat right there.
Not as much of a sook as Morrissey either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back