What Are You Listening To?

Remove this Banner Ad

More Aussie Gold.

Some early youtube comments

"Love this. About time someone said it!"
"Great to see true Aussies standing up and pushing back against the woke junk."

BLANK-GENERATION-PACKSHOT.jpg Cherry Red Records UK have put out this 5 CD set in book format. 130 tracks of US/Canadian punk and what the title refers to as "it's aftershocks" is a mix of obscurities that includes a bit of power pop, hardcore, new wave and even no wave stuff. My hunch is that some of the selections like Gun Club, Dream Syndicate and Salvation Army might go just beyond the time frame referenced in the title but I'm going to have to research that.

I guess this is designed for near boomers like me to click that "BUY" button on impulse at Amazon when it's selling for $80, and I almost did, but I already have 2/3rds of the content in some form or another, and I'm quite envious that my years of collecting could now be regarded as wasted as it's all been put together in such a convenient package. Well almost all of it, I still have my copy of "Christian Rat Attack" by Stick Men with Ray Guns.

Included are the obligatory major punk bands - Disc 1, first 7 tracks go - Voidoids, Ramones, Television, Modern Lovers, Heartbreakers, Dictators, Dead Boys...but throughout there's some genuinely deep selections of only semi-known curios, including some of my favourites that I'm linking in the clips below.

Jeffrey I Hear You - The Girls

Aliens in Our Midst - The Twinkeys

Street Where Nobody Lives - The Pagans

Hot Wire My Heart - Crime

Can't Stand the Midwest - Dow Jones & The Industrials

Last edited:

4.5/5 on AllMusic

John Squire (formerly of the Stone Roses) absolutely stellar guitarist - psychedelic, colourful and imaginative. He's got that tone and method that makes him instantly recognisable.

Liam Gallagher's voice on fire, sounding the best since Oasis and his best post-Oasis work.

An uplifting and witty album. Hard to come by new music this good.

Comes in at just under 40 minutes and might take a couple of listens for the songs to settle in, as with all great albums

Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Underrated 70's soul gem from Soul Legend and long time Democratic Mayor of Cook County Chicago - Jerry "The Iceman" Butler, better known for his earlier hits ("For Your Precious Love", "I Stand Accused", "Need to Belong", "Make it Easy On Yourself" , "Only The Strong Survive" )

Last edited:
Underrated 70's soul gem from Soul Legend and long time Democratic Mayor of Cook County Chicago - Jerry "The Iceman" Butler, better known for his earlier hits ("For Your Precious Love", "Need to Belong", "Make it Easy On Yourself" , "Only The Strong Survive" )

Think I prefer their comedy but haven't listened to them since I was a teen when my older bro had their cassettes. Who is doing the vocals on this? I know Tommy Chong was in one of the Motown groups, Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers, when they had a not-PC name, and have seen Cheech Marin in one of those "What's in My Bag?" record store buying videos where amongst other things he mentions hanging out with Karen Dalton.

Last edited:
Think I prefer their comedy but haven't listened to them since I was a teen when my older bro had their cassettes. Who is doing the vocals on this? I know Tommy Chong was in one of the Motown groups, Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers, when they had a not-PC name, and have seen Cheech Marin in one of those "What's in My Bag?" record store buying videos where amongst other things he mentions hanging out with Karen Dalton.
Well the song is comedy too :)
I have been searching everywhere and can't find who sang it but Cheech sang a couple of their others apparently - Earache My Eye and Basketball Jones, so I guess it's him ...... and he was a singer before they met up. Chong was a guitarist before they met up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the song is comedy too :)
I have been searching everywhere and can't find who sang it but Cheech sang a couple of their others apparently - Earache My Eye and Basketball Jones, so I guess it's him ...... and he was a singer before they met up. Chong was a guitarist before they met up.

Yeah, when I checked a few things out it seemed more like the voice of Cheech than Chong. I remember "Basketball Jones" being a fairly big hit - it got played on Countdown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back