What Are You Listening To?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have recently discovered an OG hip hopper Madchild and have been heavily acquainting myself with his pretty massive library but his latest collab with Obnoxious & Sick Jacken has been playing on repeat! Dayum!

This one's also been one I've been trying to memorise:

Been looking at a lot of old Phil Ochs footage lately and found a live radio broadcast from 1965 which I didn't know existed which has the earliest version of maybe his greatest song "Crucifixion" with Phil still working through remembering all the lyrics. There's a good explanation of the songs meaning in his intro.

Been looking at a lot of old Phil Ochs footage lately and found a live radio broadcast from 1965 which I didn't know existed which has the earliest version of maybe his greatest song "Crucifixion" with Phil still working through remembering all the lyrics. There's a good explanation of the songs meaning in his intro.

Quite a sad story his life. I remember Dave Warner in his book about his band The Suburbs (who are touring again) talking about going to see Ochs play at UWA in the 70’s & hardly anyone turned up. At one point he was compared to Dylan & then his career just nosedived.

Quite a sad story his life. I remember Dave Warner in his book about his band The Suburbs (who are touring again) talking about going to see Ochs play at UWA in the 70’s & hardly anyone turned up. At one point he was compared to Dylan & then his career just nosedived.

There's an interview online that he did with ABC Radio from his tour of Australia circa 1972. He had a period where he dressed up in a gold suit and imitated Elvis Presley which alienated him from a lot of his fan base but from that interview he says that he was reverting back to his normal folk singer songwriter style for the Aust tour. He actually recorded a single while he was in Australia with Daddy Cool called "Kansas City Bomber" - but despite the title it's not one of his topical political songs - rather its a song apparently about Raquel Welch. I generally skip over it on the CD comp I have that contains the song.

His relationship with Dylan is complicated and there's some interesting stuff* about it in a documentary from 2010 called "There But For Fortune" which also gives a good account of his mental decline leading to his suicide in 1976 at the age of 35yo. It also picks out some of the better bits from earlier tv biography from the 80's called "Chords of Fame". I was surprised to discover the Ochs was there at the beginning of the Yippies and was close friends with Jerry Rubin and Abe Hoffman even though they were far more radical than Ochs but there's all sorts of other surprises in my digging...like an audio of him with John Lennon asking Ochs about songwriting while he's playing "Chords of Fame" and "Ringing of Revolution".

*When asked by Dylan, Ochs gave his opinion that "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window" was crap and Dylan kicked him out of a car when it was snowing but around 1973 Dylan turned up to help Ochs for a concert to aid Chilean refugees -post the military coup in Chile - that was in financial jeopardy - which seems well past the time Dylan did any kind of political gigs.

Neil Young here doing a cover of "Changes" also touches on some stuff about Ochs decline in this rather long intro

Last edited:
New album by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Council Skies.

"It's easy to write sad songs. It's very difficult pulling off this magic trick of joy and togetherness. And, you know, Oasis had it, where you go to an Oasis gig, you feel good about yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First triple J "Like a Version" Hottest 100.
Long time listener myself, in patches depending on my mood. Love hearing modern artists' takes on the stuff I grew up with.
Love hearing some of them introduced to the modern audience. Anyway.
Posting the top 3, and one at 4 I would have rated far higher and was my vote (Denzel Curry being my second).
As an eclectic, regardless of my personal preference, I think they (Australia) got it about right. I think "Like a Version" is a good way to showcase what's good, played by who's good, rather than what's just popular right now. As a "conservative" (snort) I like the way it preserves and revitalizes that which has come before and recognises the contribution to what is now.

If I had to post everything I like, I'd be here all night and I'd break the server. So I'll post the top 3, and my own personal not-necessarily-favourite but deserves an audience.

#1:

And mine... Angus and Julia stone. I'm not taking anything away at all :

Last edited:
Oh, and... one just because I feel like it.
Backup singer is his wife. Just to explain it for those who see it. Love the way she complements and enhances, but doesn't intrude. Perfect. Get a room. After.

One of the best pump up songs Ive ever heard

Fossie 32

Tv Land Thats Nice GIF by YoungerTV

Absolute masterpiece. Pete Townshend will go down as one of the best.

The Who really were a supergroup of sorts, each member could be considered the best at their craft:

Roger Daltrey - Super voice and frontman
Pete Townshend - Power guitarist and songwriter extraordinnaire
John Entwistle - Revolutionary bassist that practically invented the rock bass. He literally crafted it to produce the sound he wanted.
Keith Moon - What can you say? Best rock drummer of all time IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back