Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Bit of everything

Listen to a lot of Jazz/Crooners/Easy listening when at home

When I'm at work it's either alternative rock (killers, loads of early 2000s rock - strokes, hives kings of leon etc.), surf&skate punk (*ing good s**t; FIDLAR, Wavves, DuneRats, Bass Drum of Death)

When I'm driving (and the Mrs isn't around) I crank up some heartland rock - mainly Bruce Springsteen, but also Barnesy, Cold Chisel etc.

Depends a lot on my mood, where I am, whether I need motivation, relaxation, an outlet or something to get down and dirty to

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Yuzo Iwata - Daylight Moon

Took over a year to get this record after ordering on Bandcamp - mostly to do with how major labels have gotten onto the vinyl bandwagon now and clogged up the pressing plant queues - re-issuing box sets and deluxe repackaging of the same old crap you can still find for $5 in 2nd hand bins, - f**king it up for the independent labels with interminable waiting times even though it was the indie labels who supported vinyl all along.

Last edited:

BigRang

All Australian
Mar 11, 2011
South of the Black Stump
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't mind a bit of Howlin Wolf etc...

Been getting into a bit of southern rock type stuff lately, The Steel Woods, Whiskey Myers, Hogjaw, Clutch type stuff... Here a few on my current heavy rotation list..

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Nicely done, new compilation of mostly obscure Gospel music from the early 1970's with a heavy leaning to the funky side of the genre.

Last edited:

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
for about 3 or 4 months, the only artist I listened to on Spotify was Sade.
I still love her & think she could be a major reason I married a 1/2 African girl.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Donovan Quinn - Absalom. Came out in Dec 2019, but been playing this more than other things in 2020.

Donovan Quinn's best record I think. Much like the band he's in - Skygreen Leopards, his and their earlier stuff are interesting, but the songs often seemed like unfinished minimalist folky excursions extracting the most out of one simple idea. However, on "Absalom", as with the last Skygreen Leopards LP "Family Crimes", everything steps up and there's a lot of craft put into the lyrics and arrangements to make them hummable and memorable.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Teskey brothers anyone ..... ??

Had my mind blown when I found out its a couple of young anglo saxon melbournians

Saw them at the Palais at the end of last year and they blew my mind too. Otis redding and a stax records kinda vibe, minus the horn sections that those bands usually had going on.

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
Your own stuff surely counts... Just released this video yesterday.

Nice stuff.
Bit of blood, bit of gore, long hair, beards, spaceships, isolation and thwarted romance.
Has it all really.
Very nice graphics in that clip, did you do them too?

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nice stuff.
Bit of blood, bit of gore, long hair, beards, spaceships, isolation and thwarted romance.
Has it all really.
Very nice graphics in that clip, did you do them too?

Thanks BPG,

I can write and play music, but struggle to even point a camera. I wrote the "screenplay" for the animators and then they did their magic.

If any of you think "that aint bad", please share the video link. Ultimately, it's one song in a concept album half written, after all, why is he there with a flesh rending love interest, what happens next etc. So a few shared links here and there, a spin or two on spotify, it all helps to fund the rest of it.

Btw, you're hearing the guitar legend that is Dave Leslie (Baby Animals) in my clip. So a shout to his current projects https://m.facebook.com/truckbandmelbourne And https://m.facebook.com/theblackskeleton

Back