Preview What are you most looking forward to in 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree need to get Kerridge in ......but IMO people still under-valuing Reilly .....expecting big things this year
IMO Kerridge is not a match to Reilly ......but I do think Reilly can be a Thompson clone ....really do

Yeah I really rate Reilly too.

Like i said, good problems to have.

I'm looking forward to us becoming the hardest hitting side in the comp. Even more brutal and sledgehammerish around the footy than we were last year...

Brodie Smith. I think he'll end up as one of our best players. The closest thing to Ben Hart we've had since his retirement. So versatile and in my opinion he's already the best field kick at the club.

Josh Jenkins kicking a bag of 5 in round 1. After putting the 5th away late into the final quarter, he lifts up his guernsey to reveal a singlet with 'Kurt Who?' printed Balotelli style on it. I think he'll stand up to fill the hole left by Tippett but what's great is that he's 1 of 3 or 4 players who will be itching to step into that role, I'm expecting a very competitive preseason amongst that group of 2nd KPF/backup Rucks (Jenkins, McKernan, Johnston and Lynch)

Brad Crouch. Was rated as a top 5 draft pick, but unlike the equally highly rated Jaeger O'Meara he then spent a season tearing it up in the SANFL and training at AFL standard probably elevating that rating even further. He's the main reason we're not feeling to hard done by with the draft sanctions imposed on us by the AFL. Paying $12 to win the Rising Star and I have to say, I'm very tempted to put money on us going back to back in that one.

Taylor Walker putting it beyond doubt that he is one of the best KPF's in the competition, kicking 70+ goals for the season.

The midfield group of Jacobs, Dangerfield, Sloane, Crouch, Thompson, Van Berlo, Vince, Douglas, Wright, Petrenko and Mackay continuing their domination of the rest of the league in contested football and setting the tone for an even more successful 2013 for the Adelaide Crows. I'm expecting our resident Man Child (Sam Kerridge) to step into that group seemlessly at some point as well.

Wingnut and Porps through half-forward/forward pocket. Two of the classiest and most intelligent small forwards in the league.

You're both forgetting that it was his first game back after a month long suspension, understandable that he'd be a little rusty.;)

Wasn't that the game he ran about 20-30m and took a shot from about 60m out when Callinan/Stiffy or someone was running into the fwd 50 on their own for an easy goal?

Wasn't that the game he ran about 20-30m and took a shot from about 60m out when Callinan/Stiffy or someone was running into the fwd 50 on their own for an easy goal?

I think I remember what you're talking about, the player in question might have been Danger, but I can't remember if it was in the Geelong game or another. I think he kicked the goal so it probably happened in another game seeing as he didn't score any goals versus Geelong.

I think I remember what you're talking about, the player in question might have been Danger, but I can't remember if it was in the Geelong game or another. I think he kicked the goal so it probably happened in another game seeing as he didn't score any goals versus Geelong.

Nah he definently missed. He ran for like 30 metres along the wing and took a shot and missed when we were gaining momentum while a player Callinan/Stiffy was running into the fwd 50 straight in front with about 5-10 metres on their opponent. The commentator said "When you're a big fwd and he pins his big ears back (funny cause he has some big ears) you dont think about passing it off"

Nah he definently missed. He ran for like 30 metres along the wing and took a shot and missed when we were gaining momentum while a player Callinan/Stiffy was running into the fwd 50 straight in front with about 5-10 metres on their opponent. The commentator said "When you're a big fwd and he pins his big ears back (funny cause he has some big ears) you dont think about passing it off"

Then I've probably got it confused with a goal against GC where I believe he did something similar. I remember an interview with him done by Vince who asked if Sando was annoyed that he didn't pass. He responded with: "Obviously he doesn't know how far I can kick it.":D

Sam Shaw. Has only played a dozen games yet has picked up the pace of AFL beautifully.Looking forward to a full second year of afl.

You'd think versus this time last year he'd be jumping out of his skin wouldnt you?

I mean this time last year he was probably having doubts that he'd make it, now he might be wondering just how good he could be given the superb performances he put in since debut. Expecting good things.

Then I've probably got it confused with a goal against GC where I believe he did something similar. I remember an interview with him done by Vince who asked if Sando was annoyed that he didn't pass. He responded with: "Obviously he doesn't know how far I can kick it.":D

Yeh i kno the 1 you're thinking of but he kicked that goal the one I'm talking about he missed. Wasn't the goal you're thinking about against Syd.. Ohwell gotta love the Texfactor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to at least another 70 Walker goals from the Commander.
Danger and Sloane to improve on last year and really support Thommo. VB to become more than just a running machine and find the right position for him on the ground.
Need to find the heir to Nutta's role and Pets has a lot of ground to make up in my eyes. Would love to see Jaensch in a small forward role.
Wright, Smith, Mackay, Shaw, Talia, JJ, Johnston, Smack and Bling all have to step it up. The first two to allow greater flexibility to our centre bounce rotations/oppo taggers.
Sauce needs some backup next season so the race is on for Graham, JJ and Smack to take Skirts vacated position and make it their own. Have loved JJ's tweets and hope he really smashes it in the PS. Smack is looking massive as well and if someone can find the desire switch look out!
Next season we need to see Truck mark II begin to emerge and start to settle our back six and make our rebound from the HB line deadly once more.
We need another target other than Tex and a fit Porps gives us this.

Really just can't wait for footy to start again

Looking forward to at least another 70 Walker goals from the Commander.

Sauce needs some backup next season so the race is on for Graham, JJ and Smack to take Skirts vacated position and make it their own. Have loved JJ's tweets and hope he really smashes it in the PS. Smack is looking massive as well and if someone can find the desire switch look out!

We need another target other than Tex and a fit Porps gives us this.

Walker developed beautifully last year and showed his class in the big games too.

However, for him to succeed at the level he's capable of, we do need at last one more effective tall forward leading away from Tex to allow him to monster his opponent one on one. Without this Tex will be crowded and outnumbered most of the time.

At the same time this player also has to be able to give Jacobs a few minutes rest each quarter, and as you say that'lll have to come out of Graham, Jenkins and McKernan.

Jenkins is the best forward on from to date, but the worst ruckman of the 3. Graham possibly the best ruckman but the worst forward. McKernan has the most natural talents for each position but needs a burning rocket up his arse.

It'll be interesting to see who has the most want for the position.

I hope that someone does find Smack's desire switch your referred to - we'll have a good player on our hands if they do.

Walker developed beautifully last year and showed his class in the big games too.

However, for him to succeed at the level he's capable of, we do need at last one more effective tall forward leading away from Tex to allow him to monster his opponent one on one. Without this Tex will be crowded and outnumbered most of the time.

At the same time this player also has to be able to give Jacobs a few minutes rest each quarter, and as you say that'lll have to come out of Graham, Jenkins and McKernan.

Jenkins is the best forward on from to date, but the worst ruckman of the 3. Graham possibly the best ruckman but the worst forward. McKernan has the most natural talents for each position but needs a burning rocket up his arse.

I hope that someone does find Smack's desire switch your referred to - we'll have a good player on our hands if they do.

About this size....
rocket03.jpg9252a325-6a9d-479d-b56d-87b927f86040Large.jpg

VB to become more than just a running machine and find the right position for him on the ground.
I have always likes VB in the backline & there is an opportunity with Dogga's retirement. Good overhead & can provide some guidance to the young guys back there.

This leaves an extra spot in the midfield, where we have plenty of players trying to break-in to the mix.

Tex Walker - Coleman Medal
Dangerfield - Brownlow Medal
Crows Premiership
Ian Callinan - Norm Smith Medal
Angus Graham - Magarey Medal

Who ever fills in the role of Tippett has huge shoes to fill in regards to helping Tex out I agree. One of the big disappointments in Tip leaving is missing that duo, as they were seemlingly working well together. The way Tex led up in the Prelim creating the space for Tip and Shoenmakers before Gibson could get back was fantastic.

Everyone seems to be talking about Jenkins, but I really hope it's Smack who can fill in that role. Will obviously need to improve a lot on previous performaces, but as everyone as said has the talent, and IMO the greatest potential to fill that role in. I gain even more confidence when Rendell said Smack would be better than Tippett, even after MR had already left us. I don't think his rucking will be as good, but if he can become someone of importance to defend against, it will go a long way to seeing Tex kick a big haul this season.

as most have said, looking forward to seeing if tex can tear it up again

i'm just really looking forward to seeing if we can continue with the momentum we build last year, seeing if that hurt that we experienced with our prelim loss has been bottled up and used throughout the year, and hopefully culminating in us playing a major role in the last weekend in september

Would like to see Tex really destroy a game...8-10 goals and for him to win the Coleman in a canter. He has it in him. He has lots of strings to his bow now, he can take a contested mark, he can snap on either leg or bomb from 55 and is a good lead. I hate the word, but consistency is his main goal next season. He has got the attention of the muppets over the border now after what he did in the finals and he will get the best defender each week now so he has to use his flexibility to work his opponent over.

That is why it is so vital that whoever else is in the forward line is dangerous. Watched the Nab Cup game against Collingwood and Smack just needs someone like The Duck to come over and show him how to use his body because he has all the skills to tear a defender to pieces. I hope this year is the breakout for Smack or I think we have to cut our losses and use him as bait to get us into the first two rounds next draft. JJ has heart and the desire and good leap, speed and smarts and that might be enough. Lewy Johnston is the wild card and maybe the key as I would like to see Porps roaming around 35 to 50 metres out and into the middle for some bounces.

I think we agree that we would all like to see Smith in the midfield rotations this year maybe off a wing. Think Bling could take his spot fairly well.

Would like to see Kerridge, Lyons, Crouch, Pigdog, Brown, Martin, Jaensch; and not just as small defenders or backman, to all get games against some of the lesser teams and have a wider rotation of players throughout the season. Got to have that hardened backup come finals when things usually for us go pear shaped ala injuries to Shaw and Talia. That means Lukey Thompson and Otto and even the new mature rook Hartigan to get a game or two.

Want to hear more about reserves side as this is the year to do the planning if 2014 is going to be the year it begins, who will coach it, what comp are we entering etc. That would mean our licence with the SANFL would also have to be finalised so that we can take the next step with or without Port who look like they won't have the cash to have one ready for 2014 and we shouldn't wait for them either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back