Preview What are you most looking forward to in 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to see Tex really destroy a game...8-10 goals and for him to win the Coleman in a canter. He has it in him. He has lots of strings to his bow now, he can take a contested mark, he can snap on either leg or bomb from 55 and is a good lead. I hate the word, but consistency is his main goal next season. He has got the attention of the muppets over the border now after what he did in the finals and he will get the best defender each week now so he has to use his flexibility to work his opponent over.

The greatest thing about Tex's 2012 was his consistency, he kicked 3+ goals in 14 of his 19 games for the season. Where in the past he'd been an all or nothing forward, in 2012 he developed into that key forward who you could genuinely count on to kick 3-4 goals a game, something we really haven't had in a forward since Tony Modra. I think what we will really look for this year is those massive games, where he tears the lower sides in the comp to shreds. There was hints of this against the Dee's, but he got the yips and ended up with 4.2, when he probably could have kicked 8 for the game.

That is why it is so vital that whoever else is in the forward line is dangerous. Watched the Nab Cup game against Collingwood and Smack just needs someone like The Duck to come over and show him how to use his body because he has all the skills to tear a defender to pieces. I hope this year is the breakout for Smack or I think we have to cut our losses and use him as bait to get us into the first two rounds next draft. JJ has heart and the desire and good leap, speed and smarts and that might be enough. Lewy Johnston is the wild card and maybe the key as I would like to see Porps roaming around 35 to 50 metres out and into the middle for some bounces.

Smack is extremely frustrating, is absolutely perfect for the 2nd ruck/2nd KPF role, just needs to control those inner demons.

Jenkins I think is in for a massive season, has the temperament for AFL football, as well as some scary athletic/ball handling attributes. Will surprise many with his capabilities as a key forward next year and IMO will probably make a great combo with Tex.

Ideally I'd love to see both McKernan and Jenkins have massive preseasons and force Sando to play both of them next year, with Jenkins as a permanent forward, allowing McKernan to spend considerable time in the ruck, lightening the load on Jacobs throughout the season, something neither, especially Jenkins could do on their own.

Johnston I agree is the real wildcard, is a smaller, more quick/agile version of Tex and I think could be a very dangerous medium forward.

Want to hear more about reserves side as this is the year to do the planning if 2014 is going to be the year it begins, who will coach it, what comp are we entering etc. That would mean our licence with the SANFL would also have to be finalised so that we can take the next step with or without Port who look like they won't have the cash to have one ready for 2014 and we shouldn't wait for them either.

I had a meeting with someone in the Crows admin department a week or so ago and I have been assured that we will both own our license and have our own reserves side by the end of 2013, ready for the move to Adelaide. Also if the Tippett scandal hadn't occured, we may have had a reserves side in 2013. By the sounds they're still working on placing a side in the SANFL as an option, but that it will probably end up being in the VFL.

I had a meeting with someone in the Crows admin department a week or so ago and I have been assured that we will both own our license and have our own reserves side by the end of 2013, ready for the move to Adelaide. Also if the Tippett scandal hadn't occured, we may have had a reserves side in 2013. By the sounds they're still working on placing a side in the SANFL as an option, but that it will probably end up being in the VFL.

That is good news James thanks for the info. I wonder if we have our own licence will that mean the members get more of a say in the running of the club? The Tippett scandal has cost us in so many ways and a reserves side next season is another. Would be interesting if they could get something up this year, but seeing that they had the SANFL draft for players you would think not.

I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of this video, and don't agree with the predictions of doom for 2013. Most looking forward to......Jenkins!!

Hey guys, followed this forum for a while now and just recently signed up. Maaaaasiive crows supporter and there are numerous things im looking forward to.

• Brodie Smith taking the next step. his finals were brilliant. shut down goodes and mayne in the second half of each game and his disposal was elite even under pressure. With Brown, Talia, Shaw, Smith, LT and even Otten all so young, its exciting to see where our defence can go
  • in saying that pretty keen to see luke brown fill the hole left by doughty. Would love jaensch to also get up and take a spot in the side, but hes defensive game is questionable at times :\ as some people have mentioned already, maybe drop VB back there and put one of Riley/Crouch/Kerridge/Martin into the middle, cos they seriously deserve games, someone like Riley very unlucky to be missing out.
  • Would love to see Mackay take the next step this year, had a good run with injuries last year, and hes almost there but still missing a few things to become a complete and damaging player, certainly has the potential but whether he gets there or not will be interesting to see.
  • Would also love a full season from Hendo. had horror runs with injuries and can never string games together. Could be a brilliant X factor/swingman for the crows playing Def/Wing/HFF. has the speed and the height, but can be a little uncoordinated at times :p his 55m bomb from the boundary back in '10 i think it was against geelong at AAMI is a memory i will never forget.
  • Love to see how our forward line will function. Josh Jenkins has potential written all over him hes just gotta step up, and he seems ridiculously keen. Wouldnt mind getting LJ into the side with a fwd line of Walker and LJ with Jenkins the 3rd tall/back up ruckman.
  • Keen to see what Dangerfield does this year, that kid knows no bounds and the potential on him is limitless.
  • And last of all, the big mullet. who needs Tippet!! pfft Walker is the man! Hope he can kick 80+ this year and with some good support from our developing forwards he may stand a chance. but they guy came on in leaps and bounds last year and is so hungry for the ball and a beautiful set shot. Could be pretty much unstoppable if he gets up from round 1.
  • One last thing. I want to smash the hawks when we play them. Both Clarko and Franklin get on my nerves the arrogant pricks. I want to see Walker kick 8 on that spud Schoenemakers. I want want Talia to shut down Franklin and let him know what its like to go a game without kicking a goal. they are the one team i hope to god we beat this year, would be awesome.
This could seem controversial to some as they are club idols, but sometimes players like Stiffy Johncock and Douglas dont cut it. Even Vince can be questionable at times, however when he is on song, hes unstoppable. Wouldnt mind seeing Sando dropping this older fringe players from time to time and getting some games into the likes of Riley/Crouch/McIntyre/Kerridge/Martin. These kids have so much potential and i hope to god that they choose to stay at the club. its a bit of a difficult time for the youngsters with so much depth, but if they stick around then Crows could be a force to reckon with for years and years to come.

also, whats the word with Tamlbing? is he really looking like a possible starter for round 1? i know he won the B&F but is he training/high in confidence and looking like actually making and impact?

also, whats the word with Tamlbing? is he really looking like a possible starter for round 1? i know he won the B&F but is he training/high in confidence and looking like actually making and impact?
Tambling will have a shot at Doughtys role but he would want to have a very good NAB cup. Its now or never

A lot can happen over a preseason, but Tambling is one with a lot of ground to make up. Wouldn't put anything past him, he has the talent and has supposedly started preseason absolutely flying, but will wait till NAB cup before I consider him close to a certain starter for round one. Too many others worthy of a shot at this stage.

Hey guys, followed this forum for a while now and just recently signed up. Maaaaasiive crows supporter and there are numerous things I'm looking forward to.

This could seem controversial to some as they are club idols, but sometimes players like Stiffy Johncock and Douglas don't cut it. Even Vince can be questionable at times, however when he is on song, hes unstoppable. Wouldn't mind seeing Sando dropping this older fringe players from time to time and getting some games into the likes of Riley/Crouch/McIntyre/Kerridge/Martin. These kids have so much potential and I hope to god that they choose to stay at the club. its a bit of a difficult time for the youngsters with so much depth, but if they stick around then Crows could be a force to reckon with for years and years to come.

Welcome.

Think this is a valid point....but AFGM will be saying "I've been saying play the kids all this year!"
Has to be some sort of rotation if we have "touch wood" a good run with injuries to first 22 players. Perform or you're out is fine, but if 2013-15 is our window of opportunity then we need some hardened players in reserve that can step up when the proverbial hits the fan-and it will. Sando is across things that so many saw as glaring problems in 2011 under Craigy and having the Geelong experience in 2011 as a coach and knowing what is needed to keep the squad fresh in the long grind to the GF, I think we will see some of the likes of those mentioned above get some game time next season. Crouch, Riley, Lyons and Kerridge are the one's I see most likely of the young ones with Tambling and Jaensch others who might get a go.

Think we have a squad that can take us to the finals again and the right coaches and support behind them, so bring it on 2013.

yeah exactly. im just so keen to see whether this group can back up last years performances and take it even on e step further. Obviously youd think just natural progression with age would suggest improvement, but im really interested to see how dominant players like Dangerfield/Walker/Smith/Talia can actually become.
Talia's early approach to the pre-season is great to see by the way :)

I have always likes VB in the backline & there is an opportunity with Dogga's retirement. Good overhead & can provide some guidance to the young guys back there.

This leaves an extra spot in the midfield, where we have plenty of players trying to break-in to the mix.

The Tom Harley role? We're looking more like Geelong every day... :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tackles

2012 GF: Sydney 110 v Hawthorn 84
2012 PF: Adelaide 39 v Hawthorn 60

Says it all really. And yet we were only a kick away.
Has to be alot with how we're setting up around the ball surely.

WIth Craigy we used to hold off and contain a little. Wasn't so much of that under Sando (thank God, shat me to tears). But the boys focus so much on blocking and creating paths for each other, maybe they aren't in as good a position to lay a tackle. We definitely close into the contest harder than most, Hawthorn always found themselves free outside the contest if we lost it. Might need less focus 'inside' the stoppages to really correct it - not just about technique when there is a 50% difference.

WIth Craigy we used to hold off and contain a little. Wasn't so much of that under Sando (thank God, shat me to tears). But the boys focus so much on blocking and creating paths for each other, maybe they aren't in as good a position to lay a tackle. We definitely close into the contest harder than most, Hawthorn always found themselves free outside the contest if we lost it. Might need less focus 'inside' the stoppages to really correct it - not just about technique when there is a 50% difference.

Good point.

We hardly had what you'd call a refined game plan last year, Sando took us back to basics, so there is definitely room to tweak it up and i think we'll probably do several but this is def one thing I think we'll adjust.

yehh very truee that, but on numerous times throughout the year i did notice that are tackles just werent sticking. we would get a hand on the opponent but they would still break free and break our lines. Perfect example was the hawthorn game in round 3 when we were defeated by 60 odd points, we had many attempted tackles, byt very few of those stuck.
But still very good to see that we are addressing the problems and hopefully serves us well for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back