Food & Drink What are you planning to eat + drink for the Grand Final? Do you have any GF traditions, rituals or superstitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Buy the wine from the Cats supporter at the local booze shop, then we downbeat the cats say we are gonna lose, wear my tissot chrono... then we win haha ;)

Lucky jocks too... okay, that's going too far, i dont have lucky jocks

Buy the wine from the Cats supporter at the local booze shop, then we downbeat the cats say we are gonna lose, wear my tissot chrono... then we win haha ;)

The guy at my bottle shop is a Richmond fan 🙀 He cannot understand why they’re so despised 😒 I have to be polite, because he gives me good discounts + we think we’re the only AFL supporters in town. Plus, he’s a really nice guy 😊

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Is going to be the first grand final in my adult life where I am not going to drink.
So will certainly be something different.
Might just bbq some snags if it's not raining.

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
We do this once a month or so. But a GF is perfect for it.

We make two platter plates for 4. Around A3 size.
What's on it varies.

But let's say carrot and celery strips.
Dips.
Turkish bread.
Crackers.
Olives.
Party pies.
Party sausage rolls.
Chicken wings.
Maybe pastizzi
Maybe cocktail frankfurts.
A ramekin of sauce per person.
Maybe gherkins.

That sort of thing. Allows you to just pick away as you feel up to it.

Beverage will be white wine of some sort.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

I haven't seen the Cats supporter working at the Bottle shop yet!!! Actually I got into an unusual but polite argument when I politely said to the guy at the counter earlier today when he said the Tigers will win. I said yeah, they may win if the weather is wet given the Tigers Aboriginal boys are good in the wet. He was quick to announce that was racism! You can't even say a polite thing about a race these days ;) lol. I said well would you put your money on a Non-African descent runner in a 100m Olympics Race? He could only smile then. haha.

Tbh, I don't think he had any idea about AFL, and I suspect he was from Britain given his accent. Not saying British people don't know what they are talking about, I just don't think he knew much about AFL at all. My argument was about more how the Aboriginal players have this "evasive" trait in their running patterns in a game that has now become highly congested and contested. Who knows, maybe I'm way off. However, if 11% of players in the AFL are of Aboriginal descent and there is only 3% in the Australian population, it might say something - either: 1. there is financial advantages to have them on a list (by league/govt rebates) or 2. They excel in certain traits in certain positions. Not saying they are superior in all positions, they do have a certain trait in their style of play that is very useful in what has become the modern midfielder's game all over the ground.

Either that or I may have tainted vision, as I may be blindsided to the evasive skillset of a minority group in the afl setting, and not paying attention to the majority of other players.

Here's some interesting analysis btw...

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
How's this for Melbourne madness.

My Mrs went to our favourite Italian supermarket / deli this morning to get stuff for our platter.
She came home empty handed. Apparently the amount of people was madness.

She's protecting me as I have zero immune system.

In the Arvo she tried again.
At checkout she asked the lady how her day was and explained how she'd left in the morning.

Checkout lady said they've had three full on punch ups in the car park today.
WTf Melbourne?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
How's this for Melbourne madness.

My Mrs went to our favourite Italian supermarket / deli this morning to get stuff for our platter.
She came home empty handed. Apparently the amount of people was madness.

She's protecting me as I have zero immune system.

In the Arvo she tried again.
At checkout she asked the lady how her day was and explained how she'd left in the morning.

Checkout lady said they've had three full on punch ups in the car park today.
WTf Melbourne?
This wasn't near a Wollies at Taylor's Lakes by any chance was it TB?

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
For me I will settle in with a red soon, then onto the famous GOAT beer I found today for the game. Home made burgers for tea, then everything crossed that can be crossed will be crossed. Cat scarf and that's about it.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Correct.
Now you're scaring me :)
Hahaha I knew it. Knew it had to be the one unless theres fights at multiple Italian delis in Melb today.
I parked across from it twice today to run into Wollies and it was crazy! People everywhere in the Carpark arguing both times.
Inside it was actually getting a bit edgy at the lotto place too. Massive lines both times.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Correct.
Now you're scaring me :)
Another funny moment at the Taylor's Lakes Wollies today.
An anti masker middle aged women going off at the manager cause "those two Asians" (customers) were making her feel like a bad human being for not wearing a mask.
2 Asians were assuring her they weren't.
Was top stuff.

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Another funny moment at the Taylor's Lakes Wollies today.
An anti masker middle aged women going off at the manager cause "those two Asians" (customers) were making her feel like a bad human being for not wearing a mask.
2 Asians were assuring her they weren't.
Was top stuff.
It's a strange area. Old Greeks meet middle class Aussies.
And plenty of Asians.

I love it, but there can be a disconnects.
WHere are you again? Need a beer over summer somewhere.
Maybe here. Bring the kids, bbq, backyard cricket.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a strange area. Old Greeks meet middle class Aussies.
And plenty of Asians.

I love it, but there can be a disconnects.
WHere are you again? Need a beer over summer somewhere.
Maybe here. Bring the kids, bbq, backyard cricket.
It's a great area. TBH I've never seen one of those anti mask people before. It was quite funny.
I'm in Keilor. Just off green gully road.
Yeah for sure. That'd be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back