Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
Think it's relevant for the members of this board who actually prefer to enjoy the printed page to the Idiot Box (TV or Internet, take ur pick)

Anyhow considering I've been suffering from a chronic toothache that's making sleep nigh on impossible for me, I just finished another Robin Cook medical thriller Blindsight and have now just started George Orwell's 1984.

Only about 20 pages in so far, but Good lord, the man is a visionary, and no wonder he is a hero to the left-wing establishment ...

I've only just delved into it, but so far, the themes and menace of 'Big Brother' make this novel as relevant as when it was originally published in 1949.

You know, if the World adapted the philosophies of Karl Marx and heeded the warnings of Orwell in his novels, the world would be a much better place ...

Reading 3 books at the moment:

Marching Powder by Rusty Young - The story of a British drug trafficker who gets caught and sent to San Pedro prison in La Paz, Bolivia.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick - The book on which bladerunner was based.

The Last Symbol by Dan Brown - Yeah, yeah, I know... Enough of Dan Brown already, but it's entertaining and easy to read.

Recently moved from Melb to New York, and don't have a job here yet, so I have a lot of time to read... Gotta kill time until the NAB cup starts!

Just finished Piercing by Ryu Murakami (no relation to Haruki that Im aware of)......writes nice short psychologival horrors (penned the book that the movie Audition was based on). A good effort, but preferred In the Miso Soup which is now being made into a film.

Of course its a shame the Japanese have no ability to act, write well or make movies :rolleyes:

Read just about every Steven King book. Most of Wilber Smiths. 4 or 5 Clive Custler books. Reading Under the Dome by King at the moment.

The power of one by Bryce Courtney is by far the best book I have ever read. If you haven't read it do yourself a favour and get it.

The Fog by James Herbet was also a cracker, also The Rats, The lair and The Domain is a great triligy.

As you can see I read a lot.

*Good idea for a thread c_p*

Read just about every Steven King book. Most of Wilber Smiths. 4 or 5 Clive Custler books. Reading Under the Dome by King at the moment.

The power of one by Bryce Courtney is by far the best book I have ever read. If you haven't read it do yourself a favour and get it.

The Fog by James Herbet was also a cracker, also The Rats, The lair and The Domain is a great triligy.

As you can see I read a lot.

*Good idea for a thread c_p*
So am I- not bad half way thru
Xmas pressie
When finished I will re-read The Wheel of Time from book 1 so I can finish it off with the new book 12 The Gathering Storm
That might take a while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So am I- not bad half way thru
Xmas pressie
When finished I will re-read The Wheel of Time from book 1 so I can finish it off with the new book 12 The Gathering Storm
That might take a while

Reading The Gathering Storm at the moment - about half way through.

One of the best in the series. :thumbsu:

Didn't bother with a reread as I started reading the series just under 2 years ago.

Just finished a book called 'Shantaram' and it was a great read. Over 800 pages long but well worth it.

Finished Under the Dome yesterday......not a bad read. Before that, Ian McEwan's Atonement, better than the movie...
finished dome
pretty ordinary ending to be honest. Great concept but thought he might take it someplace else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back