Movies & TV What are you watching on TV

Remove this Banner Ad

Not everyone's cup of 'low gravity' tea, but I am really hanging out for the final series of "The Expanse". Due on Prime in a week or so. I am an unabashed fan.

During this dire period, I have watched more telly (streaming in the main) than I have done in my entire life.

I have watched all amounts of pap, most of which is as memorable as one day after the next. One thing I can say with some pride is I have given up on non recommended doses of opiates and its sporting equivalent in the Tower of BaBeL and other T20 nonsense.

If I was on the imaginary desert Island and there were 10 series I could watch, they would be:

1. Babylon Berlin. (maybe it is my politics that nowadays is consigned to antiquarian left bookshops, or my fondness for mysteries and the Jazz/Flapper era but I have unashamedly rewatched this series several times)

2. Callan. (the origin of all grimy noir spy series)

3. The Expanse. (Most science laden of SF plus great politics and character arcs)

4. Dark. (the German series - esp the first two)

5. The Prisoner. (surrealism somehow bumped into telly in the 60s)

6. Line of Duty. (am a sucker for police procedurals)

7. Derry Girls. (just bloody funny)

8. Community. (just good fun and it always helps lift a dark mood)

9. Ozarks. (great story lines and character arcs)

10. The Good Life. (Tony Danza and great cast plus superb writing)

Seriously? Haven't gotten around to it yet but in what way?

Contrivance, after contrivance

It's almost as if they decided to see if they could make a tv show without a writer.

Plus the main character is a Mary Sue, In the MCU I'm willing to deal with 5'2 midget women beating up 7'6 eastern european gangsters on the eve of her 21st birthday, but this is just too much.

Contrivance, after contrivance

It's almost as if they decided to see if they could make a tv show without a writer.

Plus the main character is a Mary Sue, In the MCU I'm willing to deal with 5'2 midget women beating up 7'6 eastern european gangsters on the eve of her 21st birthday, but this is just too much.
I'm up to episode 4. What I'm finding is it doesn't quiet know which audience it wants to appeal to. The lack of body count and permanent injury seems to indicate its trying to keep it below a certain rating. It could have & probably should have been just that little bit darker as Hawkeye deals with the consequences of his Ronin years.

I'm up to episode 4. What I'm finding is it doesn't quiet know which audience it wants to appeal to. The lack of body count and permanent injury seems to indicate its trying to keep it below a certain rating. It could have & probably should have been just that little bit darker as Hawkeye deals with the consequences of his Ronin years.

His Ronin costume seems to be a magic fit, because it's always the right size for

22yo Mary Sue
44yo Hawkeye
25yo Male Larper who is 6 inches taller than Hawkeye

Also, all the charactees have IQ's that are below room temperature.

Although my favourite part was when the member of the tracksuit mafia removed his balaclava, ON MAIN STREET so he could watch the main character run away, despite

a) Presumably wearing a balaclava to conceal his identity (?!?!!?)
b) His balaclava already has eye holes to see out of (?!? )

Oh and that time that Hawkeye couldn't tell she was a woman whilst they were fighting because she was wearing his (now tight fitting) Ronin costume.

The more I think about it, the closer this comes to being the worst television I have ever seen.

Only Murders in the Building on Disney is a delight!

A murder mystery series staring Steve Martin, Selene Gomez & Martin Short. 3 people who have seemingly nothing in common other than their fascination with true crime podcasts. Excellent plot and well acted, the story peels away secrets of everyone in the building including our main characters. Needless to say with Martin & Short in the mix its also worth a laugh or two.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying The Cook Up with Adam Liaw. His guests cover a wide demographic and Adam is possibly one of the few TV chefs I've heard say on TV 'I don't know what that is' show me and mean it.

I liked the BBC adaptation of Good Omens on Amazon Prime Video, David Tennant stole the show as Crowley.

I'm on my second re-watch of Veep, and god damn it's hilarious. JLD is ******* incredible in it, even better than she was as Elaine, and there are so many one-liners that you have to re-watch it just to catch all the ones you miss the first time.

Exhibit A - First time I watched this scene I was pissing myself laughing at the "You're gonna cancel this re-count like Anne Frank's bat mitzvah" so much that I must've missed the, "I think the DJ already spent the deposit" line straight after it.

Not everyone's cup of 'low gravity' tea, but I am really hanging out for the final series of "The Expanse". Due on Prime in a week or so. I am an unabashed fan.

During this dire period, I have watched more telly (streaming in the main) than I have done in my entire life.

I have watched all amounts of pap, most of which is as memorable as one day after the next. One thing I can say with some pride is I have given up on non recommended doses of opiates and its sporting equivalent in the Tower of BaBeL and other T20 nonsense.

If I was on the imaginary desert Island and there were 10 series I could watch, they would be:

1. Babylon Berlin. (maybe it is my politics that nowadays is consigned to antiquarian left bookshops, or my fondness for mysteries and the Jazz/Flapper era but I have unashamedly rewatched this series several times)

2. Callan. (the origin of all grimy noir spy series)

3. The Expanse. (Most science laden of SF plus great politics and character arcs)

4. Dark. (the German series - esp the first two)

5. The Prisoner. (surrealism somehow bumped into telly in the 60s)

6. Line of Duty. (am a sucker for police procedurals)

7. Derry Girls. (just bloody funny)

8. Community. (just good fun and it always helps lift a dark mood)

9. Ozarks. (great story lines and character arcs)

10. The Good Life. (Tony Danza and great cast plus superb writing)
Babylon Berlin is good, Season 4 is apparently done but waiting for a release. Line of Duty is probably my favourite series in recent history. Ozark good too, interesting to see how they finish it off.

Based on these, some other series I've enjoyed along the police/crime, historical concepts, mystery/thriller lines...

Occupied (Netflix) - Norwegian geopolitical thriller

Criminal (Netflix) - UK version (if you like the Line of Duty interview scenes, this is for you)

Harrow (ABC) - a somewhat casual "Australian Dexter"

Man in the High Castle (Amazon) - WW2 alternative reality (where Allies lost) with a dose of sci-fi

No Offence (ABC) - bit of an offbeat British cop show, worth a look

Marcella (Netflix) - another British detective show, but has some darker tones

The Fall (Netflix) - hunt for a serial killer set in Nth Ireland, good cast

Mystery Road (ABC) - Series, also a few movies (Mystery Road + Goldstone), Indigenous detective with a less than professional style

Beforeigners (SBS) - police show set in modern day Norway, but groups of people from the past (stone age, Viking age, 1800s) have appeared throughout the world (some interesting social commentary weaved in)

Thin Blue Line (SBS) - Swedish cop show, focuses on the lives of police and how their personal lives impact their work (vice versa)

Chestnut Man (Netflix) - Danish serial killer show

The Break (Netflix) - Another Danish detective show

Vigil (Binge) - British detective show, partially set on a nuclear sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is this blasphemy you speak of!:tongueoutv1:

They are making another Treck film btw - you'll just have to hold out until then.

Just finished labouring through the second series of Picard. Why do I do these things to myself? The first series was interesting but this one was full Stewart bloat. Spare yourselves people.

Am half way through the first episode of Night Sky, a new Sci Fi offering on Prime. It already seems much more. It has two fine actors in Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons.

Had to stop as it is dealing with whether the two should get home care or move into a care facility. The issue is raw as I had been caring for a frail 95 with dementia for 2 years and can no longer do the 24/7. Seeing a dramatic well written depiction without mawkishness of what is a common life issue is terrific.

Hard to tell but the show, acting and writing look great. I am always up for decent sci fi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back