What are YOU watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno. The Mulan remake is probably the most (only, really) interesting-looking of the remakes, though I will miss the songs.

They all seem like soulless cash grabs to me. I saw the Jungle Book which was okay but when they started churning them out on the processing line almost immediately after it was successful I stayed away. I watched the Prince Ali reprise online and all I could think about was the lack of energy and passion that made the original song such a wonderful piece. If you can't add something different or fresh don't do it imo, however half these things all make a billion dollars so what do I know?

They all seem like soulless cash grabs to me. I saw the Jungle Book which was okay but when they started churning them out on the processing line almost immediately after it was successful I stayed away. I watched the Prince Ali reprise online and all I could think about was the lack of energy and passion that made the original song such a wonderful piece. If you can't add something different or fresh don't do it imo, however half these things all make a billion dollars so what do I know?
Soulless cash grabs is accurate, up there with the direct-to-VHS sequels of the 90s. Mulan is interesting because they seem to be pursuing a very different interpretation of the story. Tbf Moana as a stealth-remake of Pocahantas* was pretty good actually.

* yes, especially the first 2m:

Soulless cash grabs is accurate, up there with the direct-to-VHS sequels of the 90s. Mulan is interesting because they seem to be pursuing a very different interpretation of the story. Tbf Moana as a stealth-remake of Pocahantas* was pretty good actually.

I did see Moana and really enjoyed it but even as a stealth remake it did something different: setting, character and the music is ******* fantastic; How far I'll go, You're Welcome and Shiny; the other remake$ got none of this going for them and they depend solely on nostalgia. They're ultimately kids movies and kids deserve better.

I love the Nostalgia Chick. Used to love the Nostalgia Critic until the whole Channel Awesome disaster was revealed.

I love the Nostalgia Chick. Used to love the Nostalgia Critic until the whole Channel Awesome disaster was revealed.
Yeah, she's still doing good stuff on her own now without all the CA awfulness. Recommended!

Dunno. The Mulan remake is probably the most (only, really) interesting-looking of the remakes, though I will miss the songs.

I showed the trailer of that to my wife and daughter and was quietly impressed - looks gorgeous, great cinematics, and one of the better movies to begin with.

The new Beauty and the Beast isn't awful but any of the live action ones with animals and/or mythological creatures don't seem to really hold up well (Jungle Book, Lion King, Aladdin). I'm not sure about this new Little Mermaid but given I despise the original (Arial does f-all off her own bat other than moon around, is basically just a projection for Triton/Ursula/Eric, and Triton is an abusive twat) I struggle to see how it's going to be worse.

Watching Community again because my GF has only picked up an episode here or there. I forgot how different the character dynamics were in season 1.

I've spent a couple of days sick in bed, and spent a lot of that time binging netflix.

I strongly recommend Dear White People. Funny, interesting, important, nuanced (mostly) and considering the subject matter strangely relateable. The third season starts slowly but quickly finds its groove. I don't understand why there isn't more hype about this show.

I modestly recommend Animal Kingdom. I loved the movie and was a bit disappointed in the changes they made for the TV show, but it's always entertaining. The directors are a bit too keen on close ups of faces, though. And there's a big gap between the best actors (Ellen Barkin, Finn Cole, Shawn Hatosy) and the rest.

Dr. Stone.

Although the fact that the anime accurately describes how to make gunpowder is really concerning...

Les Norton on the ABC.Loved the books and even though it’s changed for t.v it still gets most of the vibe right.

Just finished The Bodyguard, typically intense and well done British spy / police drama. Very good show.
Also just finished the second season of Mind Hunter having previously seen the brilliant first season. The second season doesn't disappoint either, well worth watching and wanting more. If you've not seen either do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the first 4 episodes of the miniseries Manhunt- Unabomber yesterday, fantastic really enjoyed it, well worth a look.

Binge watched the final 4 episodes of Unabomber and the whole miniseries Chernobyl over the last few days, both excellent viewing. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Ive got a few days with no real plans so hoping to get through some of mind hunter season 2, dark season 2 and el camino. Finished the mini series The Spy with Sacha Baron Cohen, really enjoyed it. As soon as I saw Cohen was the main actor...wasn't interested but he was really good in the role.

Ive got a few days with no real plans so hoping to get through some of mind hunter season 2, dark season 2 and el camino. Finished the mini series The Spy with Sacha Baron Cohen, really enjoyed it. As soon as I saw Cohen was the main actor...wasn't interested but he was really good in the role.
I thought he played the role really well.
Really enjoyed the series, I thought it was really well done 👍.

Criminal - UK. Excellent cast / scripts. There is a German, French and Spanish version ( different scripts ).

Also - Look Who's Back. German satirical comedy made in 2015. Edgy yet weirdly whimsical.

"When They See Us".
Wholly s**t.
I don't binge watch, this is only a 4 part show & I watched it over 2 sittings.
Very strong, compelling & emotional viewing of a true story.
This is one I highly recommend!

Not a TV series but just saw the flick 'Parasite'.

Definitely worthy of the Palme D'or and it's the best film of the year so far imho.

The Righteous Gemstones - HBO an easy watch & is bloody funny.
If you are a touch religious, you may even enjoy it more or maybe not.
It makes my bird twitch.

Letterkenny, if you are kind of warped you will like it.

Probably applies to most on this forum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back