What are YOU watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Avengers, 1960–69 British “spy-fi” television series starring Patrick Macnee as John Steed.

Combine classic series Doctor Who, 1960s James Bond films, and timeless British eccentric humour and you get The Avengers.

Recommend that debutantes begin with the 1968 episode “Look – stop me if you’ve heard this one, but there were these two fellers…” featuring a guest appearance by a young John Cleese.
1575204027734.png

:lemon:

I've been binge watching Boardwalk Empire over the last week or so, I'm half way through season 3, very enjoyable.

I also have 2 locked loaded and ready to go ie. The Bridge and Billions.

This week's episode of Watchmen had a tough act to follow last week and while it certainly wasn't as good is set up some serious anticipation for the last two episodes. I've always appreciated the graphic novel artistically and for it's themes and continued impact and influence on comics since (except its also pretty responsible for the grimdark and muddy coloured 90s comics) without actually liking it enjoying it.

I'm just surprised in enjoying it so much and it feels like a part of the world Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons created and in a pretty natural way. The series treatment of Hooded Justice just fits so well it almost seems like that was always the plan.

I've only just discovered that you can watch great quality short movies on YouTube, anywhere from 5 minutes up to 30 minutes, DUST and OMELETO are 2 very good channels if anyone is interested.

Trial lock down this weekend, been watching the series Ray Donovan in between visits to big footy and watching free to air footy, very good series, gee the series they make these days are so much better than most of the movies.

If you haven’t already seen Ricky Gervais’s (After Life) on Netflix, do yourselves a favour.
It gives you a full range of emotions in every single 25-30 minute episode.
Well thought out and extremely well written, and all the Characters play their roles so well.
Well worth a watch.

I have watched all 5 seasons of Line of Duty a British series about an anti police corruption team over the last fortnight or so, great series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not overly into television, but my old man said a series called Chernobyl was very good.

Anyone seen / recommend it?
YEP - It was excellent. Grim, but really well made. Life in the USSR and all of that.

In that vein, I would recommend - Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others) to anyone who can get hold of it on a streaming platform. A cracking good film set in the GDR, which looks at the Stasi and their surveillance of a German playwright. A bloody good film and worth reading subtitles.

We finally got Netflix; clearly I am a very, very late adopter, however, over the years many people have spoken about great series and documentaries, but for the uninitiated, where does one start? Any recommendations or sites I can go to that will provide recommendations.

I've heard of lots of great documentaries, particularly sports ones, but not sure if you need to know the names of programs / docos or you can search by category.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsu:

You will start to build up a profile D12 & it will start recommending shows for you.

I tend to watch the documentaries especially crime & sports. I enjoy the lesser known type crime Documentaries generally the US ones as they are pretty freaky. If you want some suggestions on these types yell out.
Enjoy.

Just been watching Jack Irish again. As a Fitzroy & horse racing nut that loves crime shows it’s my heaven. 👍

You will start to build up a profile D12 & it will start recommending shows for you.

I tend to watch the documentaries especially crime & sports. I enjoy the lesser known type crime Documentaries generally the US ones as they are pretty freaky. If you want some suggestions on these types yell out.
Enjoy.

Just been watching Jack Irish again. As a Fitzroy & horse racing nut that loves crime shows it’s my heaven. 👍
Appreciate the response Bobby Beecroft :thumbsu:

We finally got Netflix; clearly I am a very, very late adopter, however, over the years many people have spoken about great series and documentaries, but for the uninitiated, where does one start? Any recommendations or sites I can go to that will provide recommendations.

I've heard of lots of great documentaries, particularly sports ones, but not sure if you need to know the names of programs / docos or you can search by category.

I searched for shows I already knew I liked and marked them as thumbs up, and after that it was ok. It has a massive backlog that it never seems to show you examples from though, only the latest stuff.

For those that like crime/drug stories - just finished watching Zero zero Zero on SBS on demand. Great production values. Interesting characters, not your usual drug lord types. Also back Jason’s recommend of Line of Duty. Complex plots, generates real tension in every episode.

Brando as Marc Antony is the best Shakespearean monologue captured on film.
Heston is as good an actor as exists but his rendition in 70 just feels so secondary. He's fantastic though some moments played for shock value just don't work as well. It's remarkable just how good Brando was.
Kazan is a joke for thinking Brando needed further education, he was just so ******* good, he's legitimately above it. Heston seems hammy when you compare the two.
Also have no idea why Branagh was ever highly regarded. His Hamlet, is embarrassing, and that stupid mirror take feels so clumsy. I have no idea how such a mediocre talent crafted a career for himself out of impersonating Olivier. He sucks balls.
Criterion version Chimes at Midnight is easily viewable by torrent now.
Please watch if you get a chance.

Can't go wrong with Narcos and Narcos Mexico. Start with the former.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back