Social Science What are your best qualities/what are your talents?

Remove this Banner Ad

Writing. I have never struggled writing anything. The sentences and ensuing sentences tend to formulate in my mind before I've even planned out the point I'm trying to get across. I also have an abnormally extensive vocabulary because I participated in spelling bees as a child, so when I'm visualizing my arguments, I'll use long words I don't consciously remember the definition of. I'll check to see if I used the word correctly when proofreading, and it always works out.

Sounds painfully over analytical....Sentences?....Who thinks in terms of sentences?....Ideas maybe.

Sentences & words are just a means to articulate & communicate ideas.

Sounds painfully over analytical....Sentences?....Who thinks in terms of sentences?....Ideas maybe.

Sentences & words are just a means to articulate & communicate ideas.
Yeah, overanalytical is a pretty apt term. It seems to help, I've always overachieved where writing tasks are concerned.

Yeah, overanalytical is a pretty apt term. It seems to help, I've always overachieved where writing tasks are concerned.
Serious question and I don't want you to give too much away but in what way have you over-achieved and has it helped in your career choices?

I remember a long time ago when Essays were seen as the standard for Prize giving in schools. This was at a time when reports were still done by hand etc. Or is it now transferrable to computer documents?

Serious question and I don't want you to give too much away but in what way have you over-achieved and has it helped in your career choices?
I'm 19, so not much to go off here. When I was in Year 12, I didn't do any mathematics, sports or sciences (unless you consider HHD a branch of science); most were very scribe-orientated subjects. My English teachers had one of the VCAA examiners review my SACs and other assessments, because they couldn't find fault.

Ended up Dux at my school and finished amongst the highest achievers in the state. I definitely had my ability to write under pressure to thank for that. I was accepted by my institution of choice at a school that averaged something like 20% tertiary admission. This isn't to say that I'm an unprecedented prodigy. I can acknowledge I'm a talented writer, and had I chosen subjects that didn't bring out my talents, I wouldn't have fared nearly as well.

My inclination to write didn't exactly help with my 'career choices' per se. Definitely did help me decide to take a gap year this year. Around a month into my Law/Politics Degrees, I decided Law was too restrictive and that I'd rather pursue a career that allows me to write freely and travel. We'll see where my new course takes me next year. Could either embrace it, or it could be a shocking mistake.

I remember a long time ago when Essays were seen as the standard for Prize giving in schools. This was at a time when reports were still done by hand etc. Or is it now transferrable to computer documents?
Not really the case today. Like I said, I chose subjects that allowed me to write. So extravagance distinguished me from others.

But yes, you'd find that the majority of pupils these days use laptops or tablets in class to complete their work.

I'm 19, so not much to go off here. When I was in Year 12, I didn't do any mathematics, sports or sciences (unless you consider HHD a branch of science); most were very scribe-orientated subjects. My English teachers had one of the VCAA examiners review my SACs and other assessments, because they couldn't find fault.

Ended up Dux at my school and finished amongst the highest achievers in the state. I definitely had my ability to write under pressure to thank for that. I was accepted by my institution of choice at a school that averaged something like 20% tertiary admission. This isn't to say that I'm an unprecedented prodigy. I can acknowledge I'm a talented writer, and had I chosen subjects that didn't bring out my talents, I wouldn't have fared nearly as well.

My inclination to write didn't exactly help with my 'career choices' per se. Definitely did help me decide to take a gap year this year. Around a month into my Law/Politics Degrees, I decided Law was too restrictive and that I'd rather pursue a career that allows me to write freely and travel. We'll see where my new course takes me next year. Could either embrace it, or it could be a shocking mistake.

Not really the case today. Like I said, I chose subjects that allowed me to write. So extravagance distinguished me from others.

But yes, you'd find that the majority of pupils these days use laptops or tablets in class to complete their work.
Thank you. Travel writer or journalist or even Novel/non-fiction seem to be good paths to pursue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people need to stop self-diagnosing themselves with OCD. wanting things to be clean and organised isn't a clinical diagnosis.

Ok, are these traits of mine good enough for you?

I head downstairs 2-4 times after waking each night to check the doors are locked, and no appliances, esp mobile phone, are switched on at the powerpoint. I then check, again, that my book is at a perfect 45 degree angle to my side table before I can get back to sleep.

After a bit of coaching I'm now only washing my hands around 20 times a day. At my peak it was around 50.

I wear Ansell rubber gloves to fill up my car with petrol.

I park in a carpark near work with numbered bays. On the rare occasions that I'm a touch late and the carpark is busy, if I can't find a bay that is a multiple of 5, I'll call in and let them know I'm working from home. (Only this carpark though, others don't bother me). This has happened about 8-10 times over the years.

We recently built a new house, and the light switches weren't all "synced" up and down correctly. I made the builder and sparky attend to this just prior to moving in. I happily paid for this (much to their amusement).

Not such a biggie, but I can't sit still if the dishwasher isn't packed correctly. Many a time I have repacked what could be considered a perfectly normal dishwasher.

I could list many more....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back