What are your expectations for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So with this being the third year of our rebuild what are our expectations this year?

You can have expectations of players and/or expectations of the team.

Brain: We must prepare for tomorrow night.
Pinky: Why? What are we going to do tomorrow night?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!
Chorus: They're Pinky, They're Pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain!

Same as this year.

Continued improvement across the board
More development and games into kids
Competitive in all games with real effort
Improved ball movement and more emphasis on attack without diluting defensive structure
Thats pretty much it.

I also hope that they stay the course with Bolton and look beyond wins and losses.

7598.jpg

Same as this year.

Continued improvement across the board
More development and games into kids
Competitive in all games with real effort
Improved ball movement and more emphasis on attack without diluting defensive structure
What he said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8-10 wins.

No losses greater than 6 goals.

Games into the kids. Kids improve.

More run and attacking footy, moving the ball quickly. Sustain it throughout matches. Our midfield holds its own.

Crippa has an injury-free season and pre-season.

McKay plays 15 games, otherwise stays fit.

Pickett can sustain his efforts throughout matches and not just in bursts.

Cuningham steps up to a 25 possession average.

Kids step up and push out Thomas, Casboult and Wright.

True competition for spots where our best players in the VFL are stiff not to get games in the Senior 22, eventually rewarded with Senior games.

Kennedy, Lang and Garlett make a difference and each adds to the Senior 22.

Polson, Kerr, Dow, O’Brien and Macreadie play 8-10 games in the Senior 22 each.

Our forward line is a threat to the opposition. Fisher, Pickett and Garlett (and Wright) wreak havoc around Charlie, Jack and Harry (and Casboult). Jack to sustain his efforts throughout matches and not just in bursts.

We beat Richmond round 1 ...

8-10 wins.

No losses greater than 6 goals.

Games into the kids. Kids improve.

More run and attacking footy, moving the ball quickly. Sustain it throughout matches. Our midfield holds its own.

Crippa has an injury-free season and pre-season.

McKay plays 15 games, otherwise stays fit.

Pickett can sustain his efforts throughout matches and not just in bursts.

Cuningham steps up to a 25 possession average.

Kids step up and push out Thomas, Casboult and Wright.

True competition for spots where our best players in the VFL are stiff not to get games in the Senior 22, eventually rewarded with Senior games.

Kennedy, Lang and Garlett make a difference and each adds to the Senior 22.

Polson, Kerr, Dow, O’Brien and Macreadie play 8-10 games in the Senior 22 each.

Our forward line is a threat to the opposition. Fisher, Pickett and Garlett (and Wright) wreak havoc around Charlie, Jack and Harry (and Casboult). Jack to sustain his efforts throughout matches and not just in bursts.

We beat Richmond round 1 ...

Realistically I believe we will win 6-8 games, be competitive in most but lack the 4 quarter endurance to quite finish off games, which is to be expected of younger teams. However, as Bolton always says 'we won't be defined by wins and losses'and will start to show some exciting progress. 2019 will be the year we push for the 8. Perhaps 7-9 wins actually this year

Probably around 7-10 wins. We're still bringing in a lot of young players into the team yet to reach their peak. I think we'll be good when the injuries are kind but we might be prone to petering out a bit if we lose some key midfielders. I think 10 wins would be a massive effort where 7 would be acceptable but a little disappointing. Anything between is par.

Notable Outs:

Gibbs - Big loss as a mature player in his peak and has probably been our best player or close to it last season.

Docherty - Also just about our best player and it a massive out as well.

Notable IN:

Kennedy - Young player with great potential, should add to our midfield and forward line.

Lang - Handy player with forward and midfield capability.

Mullett - Handy half back/wingman.

Dow - Will play and have a bit of an impact similar to SPS did last year I would imagine.

O'Brien - I think will play and go alright, perhaps similar to how Williamson was last season.

One year better
Silvagni, SPS, Cripps, McKay, Jones, Plowman, Garlett, Marchbank, Weitering, Fisher, Macreadie, Cuningham, Polson, Curnow, Williamson, Pickett, Kerr, Byrne. These are the players I expect a little improvement from.

Not to many where I expect to really fall away. Murphy, Thomas and Simpson are on the older side and will have pressure on them but if these guys and Kreuzer have really good seasons then I expect we wont fall away too much but should they break down and be poor we may slip a bit. the rest should remain steady, neither falter or improve but things can change.

I think if we get a good run out of our veterans and our young players step up then we can expect a bit of an improvement.

Probably doesn't read well with two really big outs for us which have been replaced by youth but there are a good number of good young players who are expected to improved which is promising.

I think the big question is winning, maintaining and moving the ball through the midfield. I think we're better for depth and structure but have take a hit at the top of our list.

Last edited:
Thats pretty much it.

I also hope that they stay the course with Bolton and look beyond wins and losses.

It can't be about wins & losses. How can it be with a young group?

It's about improvement and development. Once the core group of kids get to the 50 game mark then wins/losses become a realistic assessment. The sooner Weitering Marchbank Charlie SPS Pickett Silvagni McKay Williamson Fisher Dow etc etc get to the mark the better off we will be.

I think we should win more games next year.

We dropped a few games in the last quarter and I suspect we will handle that better.

More than 8 wins and no unexpected losses (eg. to norf)

but what if we are playing a younger side which I believe we will be?
docherty & gibbs are gone and kruezer & murphy had career years in 2017
way too many variables for me. I can't put a number on wins

but what if we are playing a younger side which I believe we will be?
docherty & gibbs are gone and kruezer & murphy had career years in 2017
way too many variables for me. I can't put a number on wins

I, personally, would be disappointed if we get less than 8.

We should be more balanced in terms of attack.

Though the loss of both Gibbs and Docherty is upsetting Me.

What I was banging on about in the other thread was that we can't afford to go backwards....

I, personally, would be disappointed if we get less than 8.

We should be more balanced in terms of attack.

Though the loss of both Gibbs and Docherty is upsetting Me.

What I was banging on about in the other thread was that we can't afford to go backwards....

I don't see it as going backwards if we are developing the kids. The side will be a lot younger in 2018 and the list rebuild has just been completed. Now it's the player/team rebuild. Guys that need to play are McKay Dow O'Brien Pickett Williamson Kennedy Byrne SPS Polson Fisher Cuningham and they will be very inconsistent. This is about developing the next great side and with so many great young talented kids on our list now it takes times. If Cripps Murphy & Kruezer go down it will make a massive difference. I strongly believe it's 2019 probably 2020 where we really start seeing a big change in wins/losses.

I really struggle with wins/losses as a marking guide given our position. Patience is required.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back