What are your expectations for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone writing off wins in 2018 should have a look at Bolton’s press conference the first time we lost to Melbourne in the 2017 regular season. Basically, we’d pushed them all the way, and the journos (who’d mainly written us off as wooden spooners) were saying he must be happy with the result. Bolts looked angry, and went on about how while this group of players are not rated externally, internally they are extremely highly rated. He was fuming.

The players have got an extra year under their belts now, and we’ve added talent again in the draft. Given a good run with injury, I’m confident they’ll surprise us on the upside in 2018.

May have lost Gibbs and Docherty but I expect some improvement, not saying that we will make finals but I think we will have some very good games and some disappointing games as our depth is tested with injury and soreness. I think we could be up just outside the 8. Depends how we go keeping our best team out there and fit and how our depth is, at our best we trouble all the teams but finding our best regularly with a young side is tough. Our midfield might be very young and that might trouble us at times. I reckon Docherty was going to play more or most of his time in the middle and that's where we will miss him.

J Silvagni - Expect him to be a little stronger and have a bigger tank to go longer and tackle and compete stronger one on one.

Dow - Expect him to play from round one and play every game he's fit. Similar impact to SPS last season.

Murphy - Getting older and expect him to play a leading role on the ball as last season but to spend more time up forward when our midfield depth is good. Age and tackling ability is declining so for his long jeopardy a more outside less physical role could be good.

O'Brien - Expect him to play most games as well, perhaps some VFL, expect him to play wing and half back. Already has the skill and the tank and should have a similar impact Williamson did, perhaps greater.

SPS - A slight improvement and a little more midfield time. Looked to play through a lot of soreness last season and with a bit extra maturity should add more consistency. Maybe not a huge improvement from him but more better games.

Simpson - Same as we get every season if no injuries, plenty of run out of defence.

Kennedy - Not the ideal preseason but he will have an impact in our midfield and up forward. He'll be good but probably not at the elite level, that may come in further seasons.

Kreuzer - Another boom season is likely, I wonder if we will use him more defensively behind the ball this year like Richmond did with their rucks. Injury the only thing stopping him.

Cripps - Expect his best season yet, expecting some really big numbers in the midfield. I'd like to see him take his forward game to the next level. The talented big midfielder going to full forward has been such a good thing for other clubs and we can rotate him through there. Clunk a few and straighter kicking from fitter legs.

McKay - Would love to see him take to part time ruckwork like a duck to water and become a player who can chase and apply good pressure for his size as well as be very hard to outmark. This might be enough to push Casboult out of the side. That's what we all want to see. This and a bit more contested marking. So nearly there.

Kerridge - A real fitness king, can accumulate the footy, just want to see cleaner hands and disposal.

DoKoning - Great potential as an athletic clean handling ruck/forward. Just want to see him winning hitouts, getting the footy and kicking a few goals in the VFL. AFL games would be extraordinary but not out of the question.

Lamb - Really nail down the defensive forward role. There are plenty of really damaging half backs and he needs to take them out. Adding extra goals and plenty of forward pressure is the key to his game.

Jones - Want to see him dominate every forward he gets this season. Was great last season but was touched up by buddy and Kennedy. Would like to see him get one back on them. Plenty of marking, accurate kicking and blanketing of opposition players.

Dockerty - Nothing from him this season, would be nice to see him play a game or two in the VFL to finish the season off and get straight back into things.

Lang - Want to see him use his speed to really apply serious pressure as well as impact up forward and on the ball.

Rowe - To supply good quality footy in defence at what ever level he plays and to apply genuine pressure on the defenders ahead of him.

Mullett - Expect strong defending as well as some attacking footy from defence as well as impacts on the wing.

Schumacher - Just to have a solid season in the VFL and have some good games where he finds the footy and creates some run.

Plowman - Another season of strong intercepting and defending. Really see him take it up to all sizes of forwards. The big midfielders going forward like Dangerfield and Martin will be the players I want to see him blanket.

Garlett - High expectations of a player taken early in his draft with his speed and skill. Expect a whole heap of team footy. Chasing, pressure, tackline. Expect him to play the utility role. Forward, back, wing.

Marchbank - Expecting an improvement in his defending and body strength and to take his marking to the next level.

Weitering - Expect him to keep a good tank but to improve his strength and be a real handful one on one. Perhaps a utility role where he goes forward at times.

O'Shea - Expect quality footy when he comes in as a good all-round defender.

Fisher - Really want to see him improve his ball handling and become one touch as it wasn't good enough last season. When it was he was excellent. Really want to see him nail this under pressure and become a strong tackler and pressure forward.

Macreadie - Expecting him to play some AFL but his body is still getting there. Want to see some real solid defending one on one against the bigger forwards and continue his role as an intercepting defender.

Lobbe - Expect quality if he gets in but otherwise real service to our mids in the VFL.

Cuningham - Hoping that he's stronger and heavier and can really break tackles this season. Really want to see him add more possessions to his game. More midfield time but still time up forward.

Polson - Want to see him excel as a strong inside midfielder who can impact up forward. Want to see him stronger and fitter.

C Curnow - Expecting big things as a dominant forward who can go onto the ball at times.

Williamson - Expect him to slot into defence from round one but also spend some minutes on the wing. Hope to see his one on one and strength improve. Andy McKay with hair type stuff.

Graham - Would like to see him improve his outside and link up game and become just that bit better with ball in hand.

Pickett - want to see him a whole lot fitter so that the attacking defenders don't go through him this season. Build his game on good forward pressure and perhaps by season's end, some midfield time.

Phillips - Just want to see him fit, dominating the VFL with his rucking and marking and ready to go when needed.

Ed Curnow - Would just like to see Ed back to his hard running best. Thought he added to his forward craft last season and his offensive game in general and was smarter about his ball use.

Kerr - Think he has something as a hard leading full forward which has come back into the game of recent years. If his pressure is good and he stays in the game when the ball is on the ground he's a good chance of debut.

Byrne - Expect he'll be really fit and play a fair bit in defence and on the wing. Perhaps even on the ball. Guy has some ability.

Thomas - Would like to see him fitter. If he's applying pressure and running hard for four quarters he's up there for a game still. Want to see his kicking improve.

Casboult - Would like to see improved mobility, less being outmarked and more ground level pressure. Still a valuable player as a big forward and part time ruck. Reckon he will have a good year, similar to this last one.

Wright - you never know, pressure could be on Wright but he's been good. Want to see more midfield impact.

Shaw - Just want to see really good run and team footy at a good intensity. Good backup, could play a good few games.

JGM - Want to see strong marking and good attacking footy while defending strongly in defence, you never know what the future holds.

LeBois - Hearing his pressure at training is great, just needs to keep this and add some good attacking footy to his game. Like to see him push up the ground and get amongst the action a bit more.

Silvagni - We know what he will give us if he's fit and it's quality.

McDaid - Just play VFL and get plenty of the footy. Only way to learn the game.

May have lost Gibbs and Docherty but I expect some improvement, not saying that we will make finals but I think we will have some very good games and some disappointing games as our depth is tested with injury and soreness. I think we could be up just outside the 8. Depends how we go keeping our best team out there and fit and how our depth is, at our best we trouble all the teams but finding our best regularly with a young side is tough. Our midfield might be very young and that might trouble us at times. I reckon Docherty was going to play more or most of his time in the middle and that's where we will miss him.

J Silvagni - Expect him to be a little stronger and have a bigger tank to go longer and tackle and compete stronger one on one.

Dow - Expect him to play from round one and play every game he's fit. Similar impact to SPS last season.

Murphy - Getting older and expect him to play a leading role on the ball as last season but to spend more time up forward when our midfield depth is good. Age and tackling ability is declining so for his long jeopardy a more outside less physical role could be good.

O'Brien - Expect him to play most games as well, perhaps some VFL, expect him to play wing and half back. Already has the skill and the tank and should have a similar impact Williamson did, perhaps greater.

SPS - A slight improvement and a little more midfield time. Looked to play through a lot of soreness last season and with a bit extra maturity should add more consistency. Maybe not a huge improvement from him but more better games.

Simpson - Same as we get every season if no injuries, plenty of run out of defence.

Kennedy - Not the ideal preseason but he will have an impact in our midfield and up forward. He'll be good but probably not at the elite level, that may come in further seasons.

Kreuzer - Another boom season is likely, I wonder if we will use him more defensively behind the ball this year like Richmond did with their rucks. Injury the only thing stopping him.

Cripps - Expect his best season yet, expecting some really big numbers in the midfield. I'd like to see him take his forward game to the next level. The talented big midfielder going to full forward has been such a good thing for other clubs and we can rotate him through there. Clunk a few and straighter kicking from fitter legs.

McKay - Would love to see him take to part time ruckwork like a duck to water and become a player who can chase and apply good pressure for his size as well as be very hard to outmark. This might be enough to push Casboult out of the side. That's what we all want to see. This and a bit more contested marking. So nearly there.

Kerridge - A real fitness king, can accumulate the footy, just want to see cleaner hands and disposal.

DoKoning - Great potential as an athletic clean handling ruck/forward. Just want to see him winning hitouts, getting the footy and kicking a few goals in the VFL. AFL games would be extraordinary but not out of the question.

Lamb - Really nail down the defensive forward role. There are plenty of really damaging half backs and he needs to take them out. Adding extra goals and plenty of forward pressure is the key to his game.

Jones - Want to see him dominate every forward he gets this season. Was great last season but was touched up by buddy and Kennedy. Would like to see him get one back on them. Plenty of marking, accurate kicking and blanketing of opposition players.

Dockerty - Nothing from him this season, would be nice to see him play a game or two in the VFL to finish the season off and get straight back into things.

Lang - Want to see him use his speed to really apply serious pressure as well as impact up forward and on the ball.

Rowe - To supply good quality footy in defence at what ever level he plays and to apply genuine pressure on the defenders ahead of him.

Mullett - Expect strong defending as well as some attacking footy from defence as well as impacts on the wing.

Schumacher - Just to have a solid season in the VFL and have some good games where he finds the footy and creates some run.

Plowman - Another season of strong intercepting and defending. Really see him take it up to all sizes of forwards. The big midfielders going forward like Dangerfield and Martin will be the players I want to see him blanket.

Garlett - High expectations of a player taken early in his draft with his speed and skill. Expect a whole heap of team footy. Chasing, pressure, tackline. Expect him to play the utility role. Forward, back, wing.

Marchbank - Expecting an improvement in his defending and body strength and to take his marking to the next level.

Weitering - Expect him to keep a good tank but to improve his strength and be a real handful one on one. Perhaps a utility role where he goes forward at times.

Fisher - Really want to see him improve his ball handling and become one touch as it wasn't good enough last season. When it was he was excellent. Really want to see him nail this under pressure and become a strong tackler and pressure forward.

Macreadie - Expecting him to play some AFL but his body is still getting there. Want to see some real solid defending one on one against the bigger forwards and continue his role as an intercepting defender.

Lobbe - Expect quality if he gets in but otherwise real service to our mids in the VFL.

Cuningham - Hoping that he's stronger and heavier and can really break tackles this season. Really want to see him add more possessions to his game. More midfield time but still time up forward.

Polson - Want to see him excel as a strong inside midfielder who can impact up forward. Want to see him stronger and fitter.

C Curnow - Expecting big things as a dominant forward who can go onto the ball at times.

Williamson - Expect him to slot into defence from round one but also spend some minutes on the wing. Hope to see his one on one and strength improve. Andy McKay with hair type stuff.

Graham - Would like to see him improve his outside and link up game and become just that bit better with ball in hand.

Pickett - want to see him a whole lot fitter so that the attacking defenders don't go through him this season. Build his game on good forward pressure and perhaps by season's end, some midfield time.

Phillips - Just want to see him fit, dominating the VFL with his rucking and marking and ready to go when needed.

Ed Curnow - Would just like to see Ed back to his hard running best. Thought he added to his forward craft last season and his offensive game in general and was smarter about his ball use.

Kerr - Think he has something as a hard leading full forward which has come back into the game of recent years. If his pressure is good and he stays in the game when the ball is on the ground he's a good chance of debut.

Byrne - Expect he'll be really fit and play a fair bit in defence and on the wing. Perhaps even on the ball. Guy has some ability.

Thomas - Would like to see him fitter. If he's applying pressure and running hard for four quarters he's up there for a game still. Want to see his kicking improve.

Casboult - Would like to see improved mobility, less being outmarked and more ground level pressure. Still a valuable player as a big forward and part time ruck. Reckon he will have a good year, similar to this last one.

Wright - you never know, pressure could be on Wright but he's been good. Want to see more midfield impact.

Shaw - Just want to see really good run and team footy at a good intensity. Good backup, could play a good few games.

JGM - Want to see strong marking and good attacking footy while defending strongly in defence, you never know what the future holds.

LeBois - Hearing his pressure at training is great, just needs to keep this and add some good attacking footy to his game. Like to see him push up the ground and get amongst the action a bit more.

Well roundup of the team!

Not sure where to post this but I guess it fits here. Before Christmas I was howled down for suggesting cuningham could be a good fit as a rebounding defender. My reasoning was that he is quick, brave and a good user of the ball. I also thought it was a way for him to find more of the ball and get his confidence up. No-one here agreed, however I may have the skippers support..

From the HS today - In Docherty’s absence Murphy threw up Tom Williamson, David Cuningham, Cam O’Shea and Aaron Mullett as contenders to reinforce Carlton’s half back line.

I’m hoping for a Ratten mkII..

Not sure where to post this but I guess it fits here. Before Christmas I was howled down for suggesting cuningham could be a good fit as a rebounding defender. My reasoning was that he is quick, brave and a good user of the ball. I also thought it was a way for him to find more of the ball and get his confidence up. No-one here agreed, however I may have the skippers support..

From the HS today - In Docherty’s absence Murphy threw up Tom Williamson, David Cuningham, Cam O’Shea and Aaron Mullett as contenders to reinforce Carlton’s half back line.

I really hope O'Shea has worked on his disposal and composure, otherwise he's an absolute liability in Doc's role

I am just on the edge of expectations when it comes to Carlton this year. I will again spend this season watching our blokes succeed, fail, try, learn, commit. We are still a bunch of individuals working towards gelling into a fluid unit. Wins and losses are still important but until the reset is complete I will pretty much ignore the opposition. NEXT season I expect to see a genuine lift in our ability to get in front of teams, stay there and eventually even pull away for substantial victories. Young, inexperienced players don't know how to do this. In 2019/20 we will still be young but the experience will have flooded through the entire group. Bring it.

Mckay is a forward pitch hit ruck, joe daniher type i recon he could be anything if things go well for him

Dow to play straight away
Cripps Top 3 Brownlow
Weitering Marchbank SPS Pickett to have breakout years
Charlie to elite player in midfield & forward
Garlett steal of the draft
LeBois to kick 25 plus goals
Crippa paying $34 for the brownlow
I definitely goin to chuck something on him
Patty Dow $15 for raising star get on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just on the edge of expectations when it comes to Carlton this year. I will again spend this season watching our blokes succeed, fail, try, learn, commit. We are still a bunch of individuals working towards gelling into a fluid unit. Wins and losses are still important but until the reset is complete I will pretty much ignore the opposition. NEXT season I expect to see a genuine lift in our ability to get in front of teams, stay there and eventually even pull away for substantial victories. Young, inexperienced players don't know how to do this. In 2019/20 we will still be young but the experience will have flooded through the entire group. Bring it.

:tldr

:) :thumbsu:

Whilst I agree with your comments using the HS as a backup does not help you one bit ;)

Just further re Paddy Dow; Does anyone know if anyone has ever won more than one Brownlow in the one season (in their first season too)? Its just a question.

Has someome hacked your account?

When did you start consolidating material?

Gotta be at least 15 posts worth of the usual in here ...

3ed89a54589eb53ea2e6f6f534ffaaceeebeb854ec2de9abc7d1d48e52fc63ed.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back