What are your expectations for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering was magnificent at CHF that day, particularly in the first half. He made Grundy look second rate and straightened us up enormously. Because of his work rate, hands, disposal quality etc he needs to play there more often.

Just rewatched our round 6 win over Sydney, it's pretty much a glimpse into the future of our club.

SPS the cleanest player I have ever seen. Smart, evasive, and elite disposal. Watched him and fisher work together on a few occasions delivering into the forward 50. They're both just clean, smart footballers. The Sydney players couldn't keep up because they were already 2 steps ahead. Going to cause some havoc with another pre season under their belt.

Tommy Williamson... elite by foot and takes the game on. Saw him on a few occasions cut through a pack of Sydney guys and burn them off with ease, then hitting a team mate lace out with a laser left foot pass. Also expecting big strides from him.

Patty Cripps, was amongst everything during the game. Did all the hard stuff, plus went forward and kicked goals. Will be huge this year after his first pre season.

Charlie Curnow- what can you say that hasn't already been said? Took some nice grabs and should have ended up with about 3 goals.

Honourable mentions to Marchbank and Plowman who were pillars down back, and Weitering was creating plenty of opportunities forward. Docherty with a lazy 40 disposals (will be missed this year).

And this game didn't even include young excitement machines Pickett and Garlett, Cunningham, McKay, JSOS, Dow, Obrien, Kennedy et al.

Plenty to look forward to this year. Really can't wait.

Weitering was magnificent at CHF that day, particularly in the first half. He made Grundy look second rate and straightened us up enormously. Because of his work rate, hands, disposal quality etc he needs to play there more often.

With regards to weitering playing forward l can’t help but think of the first game last year against richmond. Looked great against Rance and the whole forward line gelled around him. His decision making, with and without the ball, made things easier for everyone else.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

With regards to weitering playing forward l can’t help but think of the first game last year against richmond. Looked great against Rance and the whole forward line gelled around him. His decision making, with and without the ball, made things easier for everyone else.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s such a smart player, much more naturally so than any of our other options down there. As such, he demands a very capable defender which ultimately frees up others. In the long term we need Curnow and McKay to force Casboult out of the side; in the short term Weitering forward might make a Casboult more dangerous, because opposition defences are likely to commit their best stopper to the guy who might actually hurt them on the scoreboard.

Another player who had limited game time most games was Pickett. His 2018 games are going to be amazing improvements with a full pre season and more confidence in his foot. My glass is more than half full.
Yep, even though our youngsters provide us an embarrassment of riches, Pickett with a full pre-season is the one I’m most excited about!

I haven't read any of the posts, but imo this is Boltons last year where ladder position is irreverent.

Buy that, I mean our performance should be measured by personal improvement of players and improvements to our structures and gameplan. I think 2019 finals is a pass mark after 4 years of rebuilding.

The loss of Gibbs and doc were unplanned (Gibbs you could argue but he's a top 4 player at the club, huge short term loss) and buy Bolton another year imo.

Another development year, especially with a young midfield and forward line is essential. Our defense is of a great standard, better than some teams that finished in the top 8.

I expect us to win about the same amount of games, maybe one or two more. No idea where this will put us on the ladder as most teams look stronger on paper for 2018, but in bloody excited to see more midfield minutes for SPS, Kennedy, Curnow, Lang and then Fisher with some time on a wing and what mullet, oshea and Garnett can bring... Don't forget big H!

We honestly have the biggest scope of any club for improvement this year, hopefully it translates into wins, but as long as we're in most games and were playing a great brand of footy I think that's what all true blue fans expect.

I’m quitetly confident we will be pushing for a top 8 spot in 2018.
If the likes of Kennedy, Lang, Garlett can add some real value and others such as Pickett, SPS, Fischer progress again, it wouldn’t surprise me to see us finish say 8th this year, even without Doc.
Rebuilding teams have peaked earlier than expected but they've generally come back down to earth quickly too. It's not impossible to finish top 8, but I think the competition is far too tight at the moment for it to happen.

I’m quitetly confident we will be pushing for a top 8 spot in 2018.
If the likes of Kennedy, Lang, Garlett can add some real value and others such as Pickett, SPS, Fischer progress again, it wouldn’t surprise me to see us finish say 8th this year, even without Doc.
Nice one SB. I'm struggling to keep the lid on as well.
F%*k it, 8th will do nicely!

Rebuilding teams have peaked earlier than expected but they've generally come back down to earth quickly too. It's not impossible to finish top 8, but I think the competition is far too tight at the moment for it to happen.
Actually, that is the key. If you have a look at the sides around that mark, there is no reason why we couldn’t be there abouts or even better. I can’t wait to see what Bolton does or how he sets us up in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s such a smart player, much more naturally so than any of our other options down there. As such, he demands a very capable defender which ultimately frees up others. In the long term we need Curnow and McKay to force Casboult out of the side; in the short term Weitering forward might make a Casboult more dangerous, because opposition defences are likely to commit their best stopper to the guy who might actually hurt them on the scoreboard.
Some on this board are of the opinion that putting him forward 'ruined' him as a backman, but I'd prefer him forward because he's so smart with regard to use of his body. He killed Rance that day, and I'm convinced he could quite easily be a 60-70 goal per year forward. Only problem is now we are spoilt fot choice up forward, we need a very capable replacement down back.

Cannot wait for this season. It might not all come together, but there will be moments that cause opposition supporters to finally twig that we are building something seriously special.

Cripps, Charlie and SPS all have the potential to be genuine top 10 players in the game. Weitering and Marchbank both potentially elite defenders ready to assert themselves; Pickett the ace in the deck who could be absolutely anything.

Williamson to cement his spot after a super impressive first year, Harry hopefully now ready to start making an impact. Then the unknowns of Dow and O'Brien to also hopefully be solid contributors in their first seasons.

We will torch Richmond in Round 1. They will obviously finish well above us on the ladder but I am very confident we will get them early, given our longer pre-season and the fact that they will be aiming to peak come finals.

If we have minimal injuries and we luckily pick our best 22 or close to it , in round 1 then we will by about round , see a quantum leap forward in performance. I say luckily because trying to pick our best 22 is like trying to juggle snakes. But with some continuity , I have some real confidence that the best that carlton have to offer, will go close to beating any side next year. Goddammit we were nearly that this year with a few obvious games - port and sydney comes to mind. In other words, we wont even need to see the surge forward that I can feel rumbling from Parkville, to do some real damage this year, but if the surge becomes a reality , then watch out. No team will be safe once our young stars find their confidence. Best case 6-8th
If on the other hand we have a bad run of injuries, then the inevitable shuffling of players and trying out of position will happen, this will affect continuity and confidence will suffer. Even so i see a 6-8 win season if these injuries come to pass.

Some of our boys need to learn to win, some have forgotten how. Once it clicks and becomes an expectation, it’s gunna be a fun ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back