Health What are your hobbies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dhoni Dakurri

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Hello BF.

Just wondering what people’s hobbies are out there as I’m looking for a new one.

My obsession for the last 3 years or so has been playing golf and it’s becoming borderline unhealthy now. It’s one of those things where, for me, there is absolutely no correlation to time and effort and improvement. Ive put in countless hours of practice, financial investment on equipment and it’s really got me nowhere. I just get frustrated when I play now mainly because my expectations never match my performance. Its not even that fun anymore . And its doing nothing really spectacular for my own physical fitness too.

I need something to do that’s mentally engaging as well as healthy. Running for the sake of getting fit, for example, just doesn’t do it for me and it’s something I can’t see myself ever getting really into.

Thanks!

Golf is good for fitness if you walk the course and even better, carry your clubs.

Do you live near an ocean beach? Surfing is great for your health.

I do like to walk playing golf but it still doesn’t get the heart rate up. I really like surfing but I’m quite far from the beach and fair skinned. Still there’s ways around that - I’d love to do some lessons sometime

Golf is good for fitness if you walk the course and even better, carry your clubs.

Do you live near an ocean beach? Surfing is great for your health.

Do you surf yourself? If so I might ask you a few questions about getting started etc

Thanks

So many blokes think play golf to portray a certain image when they don’t really enjoy it. 35 year old pencil neck accountants who just have no sporting ability whatsoever.

Most overrated hobby going around unless you have freakish hand eye coordination imo. Personally find it quite boring anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many blokes think play golf to portray a certain image when they don’t really enjoy. 35 year old pencil neck accountants who just have no sporting ability whatsoever.

Most overrated hobby going around unless you have freakish hand eye coordination imo. Personally find it quite boring anyway.
its not my cup of tea
Suppose its just a conversation starter while you go for a walk with your mates for people who dont have much conversation

The sporting equivalent of getting a puppy but with stats

So many blokes think play golf to portray a certain image when they don’t really enjoy. 35 year old pencil neck accountants who just have no sporting ability whatsoever.

Id rather watch grass grow the play an actual serious game of golf.

Golf is fun when you just * around at the driving range or something but Christ playing it seriously zzzzzzzzz

Portray an image - what? Think you’re getting mixed up with Instagram influencers, cob.

Golf’s addictive to so many I reckon because it’s so frikkin hard and people like to challenge themselves to get good at it. I took up golf because of the challenge of the learning curve and because I was physically cooked playing other more rigorous sports like footy and tennis. For me it’s just too hard to warrant taking seriously anymore.

Portray an image - what? Think you’re getting mixed up with Instagram influencers, cob.

Golf’s addictive to so many I reckon because it’s so frikkin hard and people like to challenge themselves to get good at it. I took up golf because of the challenge of the learning curve and because I was physically cooked playing other more rigorous sports like footy and tennis. For me it’s just too hard.
75 percent of people that play golf just use it as excuse to get hammered.

Golf’s addictive to so many I reckon because it’s so frikkin hard and people like to challenge themselves to get good at it. I took up golf because of the challenge of the learning curve and because I was physically cooked playing other more rigorous sports like footy and tennis. For me it’s just too hard to warrant taking seriously anymore.

Office workers who start playing because they think it will give them an in with the boss.

Rocking up in a crisp polo, best set of new clubs on the market etc.

My experience anyway.

75 percent of people that play golf just use it as excuse to get hammered.

F*** around golf with mates, beers and bets is great fun, unless you are utterly incompetent. That’s how I want to treat the game from now on. Not playing with 3 other grumpy blokes playing to keep their handicap down and ensuring they’re not reverse pivoting on their downswing with an open club face and weak leadhand grip whilst making sure all penalty drops are made exactly one club length from the initial ball position no closer to the hole, dropped at knee height with divots repaired and scorecards signed, keeping up with the group in front at all times, shirts tucked in.

F*** around golf with mates, beers and bets is great fun, unless you are utterly incompetent. That’s how I want to treat the game from now on. Not playing with 3 other grumpy blokes playing to keep their handicap down and ensuring they’re not reverse pivoting on their downswing with an open club face and weak leadhand grip whilst making sure all penalty drops are made exactly one club length from the initial ball position no closer to the hole, dropped at knee height with divots repaired and scorecards signed, keeping up with the group in front at all times, shirts tucked in.
Incompetence has never prevented me playing golf.

Our soccer team gets together for golf and playing ambrose, I always get partnered with the best player. That highlights where I sit in the rankings.

Office workers who start playing because they think it will give them an in with the boss.

My experience anyway.

Never seen this to be honest, except in movies.

With Covid there been an epidemic of overpaid FIFO all gear, no gamers rocking up with the $10,000 clubs, 7 day membership play a few rounds then are never seen again cos they realise how s**t they are and snap their clubs.

Or the classic retiree who plays as many rounds as they can every single day whipping round on buggies, complaining because a group don’t have their shirts tucked in.

Rocking up in a crisp polo, best set of new clubs on the market etc.

My experience anyway.
Golf as a way for career advancement? Have I stumbled upon 1981 here? A lot of "new" golfers are tradies and the everyday man. Yeah, you play at an elite private club and maybe you can get a better job by washing Kenneth the thirds back but that's an extremely small percentage of golfers.

Incompetence has never prevented me playing golf.

It has with me, I pick my golf partners carefully, those who don't give a s**t and don't give annoying tips.

On topic I have a few hobbies, guitar, boxing, growing veggies/chillies, Webering, picked up home brewing as a hobby this year too. Feel like I should pick one and become good at it, instead I remain mediocre at all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back