What books are you reading?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Alright Intellects and Pseudo Intellects. Let's take a quick timeout from insulting each other. Most of us think we're pretty smart (definitely arguable) or as at least smarter than the average Joe. That's why we read SRP right? What is the most recent book you have read or are currently reading?

My most recent completed is 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie.

I'm currently reading 'Negotiate Anything' by Herb Cohen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are in need of some seriously better reading material.

Books I can recommend that I've read over the past year;

Books about the nature of humans:
Sapiens: A brief history of human kind by Yuval Noah Harari
The Rightous Mind by Johnathon Haidt
Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (won him a Nobel prize)

economic books:
The Shifts and the Shocks: Martin Wolf from the Financial Times
Why Nations Fail by Acemoglu and Robinson.

Meh, I read SRP because I know I'm an idiot, and I can't keep up with bay 13 nuances.

I have found that you're much better off reading about things that you're actually interested in, rather than reading books that you know are supposed to be intellectual.

I honestly don't read books any more...
The electronic age has messed me up... I can't maintain my focus long enough to compl

I have a few that I move between. I read a chapter, then forget. So read something else that grabs my interest. I have realised that if I have a few books to move between, they actually get finished. Also read quite a few graphic novels.

At the moment I am reading:

Can't Stop, Won't Stop - Jeffery Chang
Pictures at a Revolution - Mark Harris
Southern Bastards - Jason Aaron
Mind MGMT - Matt Kindt

Going to start reading:

Dark Money - Jane Mayer
Insight - Bernard Lonergan
March - John Lewis
Between the World and Me - Ta Nahesi Coates
God's Philosophers - James Hannam

For people who read a lot, I recommend both NPR and AV Club, as websites with good contemporary book reviews. Vulture and the Guardian also.

Finally, there are some good book podcasts like So Many damn Books, podcasts with authors like Little Atoms and a great bookclub (which I don't go to), but has a solid booklist angled at the sceinces, called Big Ideas Book Club.

Last edited:
Time and Time Again by Ben Elton; because I like my history books to have time travelling adventurers in them.
What do you think of it? I found the "twist" a bit predictable to be honest.

I'm currently reading "The Last Man On The Moon" by Gene Cernan.

Once I'm done with that I'll return to re-reading the entire Harry Bosch series (or at least all the ones I have copies of)

'The Lucifer Principle' by Howard Bloom.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone else who has read it because it's quite brilliant I think.

I have the book! But I haven't read it yet. But....I am aware of its premise and conclusion. And I fully agree with it.

I first read it 15 odd years ago and just ploughing through it once again to remind me how good it is.

There's so many subjects covered but Everything he predicted about the Muslim world v the west and the problem of mass migration has come true.

I first read it 15 odd years ago and just ploughing through it once again to remind me how good it is.

There's so many subjects covered but Everything he predicted about the Muslim world v the west and the problem of mass migration has come true.
What I'll do is.....pause my reading of the Marquis....for you....and read the Lucifer Principle over the next couple days so that I can repartee with you on the topic in better depth.

What I'll do is.....pause my reading of the Marquis....for you....and read the Lucifer Principle over the next couple days so that I can repartee with you on the topic in better depth.

Brilliant , I look forward to your thoughts buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back