Expansion What can Stuart Dew achieve at the Suns in 2018?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Matchu, Oct 7, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Mitchell5

Mitchell5 Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
    Lynch will... for another club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. GC2015

GC2015 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    I think his biggest achievement, at least in the short term, will be convincing Tommy Lynch to sign on the dotted line. You talk about the buy in and you really need that total commitment from the captain so I believe Dew needs to work hard on convincing Lynch and others that there is a bright future on the Gold Coast and it is a desirable place to play footy.

3. SilentHunter_

SilentHunter_ Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Miami Heat
    Flag or bust

4. hutchy31

hutchy31 Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    I think a win would be avoiding those hundred plus point beltings they've been getting a few times a season. Against Port this year they were horrific, such a lack of intensity from a fairly talented bunch.

I've always been optimistic about their list from a class/talent perspective - with a better work ethic and defensive game plan they could be anything.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were 18th or played finals. Such a gap between best and worst.

Requiem, TheSunGod and vide0n like this.
  5. Howard Littlejohn

Howard Littlejohn Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I have no idea. The problem is Eade is not a bad coach, yet the Suns still became what they are.

Ablett leaving may be a good thing. At times it seems like (and from this far outside the club and away from footy) so many players relied on Gary, and then if he wasn't there then "we were missing Ablett" was an out they gave themselves. 2018 might not be about results, or even reducing the losing margins, so much as finding who is willing to stand up and be counted when the chips are down. A small attitude lift from everyone more than makes up for the absence of one player.
    I don't expect any significant rise up the ladder. If by the end of the year GC fans can pick out a dozen players that might be the ones to build a team around that might be a good start. Those ones are then the ones to look to, and to maybe give the comp a shake in 2020.

CD Xbow and vide0n like this.
  6. Carson Dial

Carson Dial Debutant

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Celtic
    Overseeing their liquidation?

7. Matchu

Matchu Norm Smith Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    This is an interesting point. Anyone who went to a Suns home game back in the early days would have heard supporters utter the words 'kick it to Gary'. It wasn't just the players that relied on Ablett, it was the supporters as well. But now the team find itself, for the first time ever, without Gary Ablett Jr. It's an opportune time to step up if you're a young Gold Coast midfielder looking for the chance to cement your place in the team and let's not forget they drafted three midfielders in last year's draft that were all top 10 picks. Plus, they are about to draft another midfielder with the number 2 pick.

8. Carson Dial

Carson Dial Debutant

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Celtic
    See previous post

9. jumboprince

jumboprince MASSIVE MEMBER

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Yahl Cricket Club
    If he can get the squad turning up to pre season training looking like him, that'd be a good start.

Probably want to stop those pre-match prayer sessions too

CarterS likes this.
  10. demondavey

demondavey Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I doubt it. He has come from coaching under a pretty good senior coach and organisation. Think he will be the best of their coaches to date.

11. HairyO

HairyO Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Coach doesnt matter when everything else is shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. demondavey

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    The problem with Eade was that he hadn't coached for quite a while. He then had to go up to a state that is seriously geared towards rugby and turn around a bunch of players that were starting to unravel week by week. The Ablett issue peaked last year and I seriously think that affected the players.

Dew gets to start fresh, and like Roos did at Melbourne, I think he will have them playing a much more defensive style over the next year or two. I think the beatings will decrease significantly, and I think having Ablett out will actually free them right up. That guy was seriously bringing the club down.

I think the aim would be aiming for finals in 2019 or knocking right on the door.

13. demondavey

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Everything else was shit when Paul Roos came to Melbourne. He made a really positive impact and Goodwin took over this year, it was the dregs of the old days on the field that cost us finals - looking at you Gawn & Watts. Gawn I'll reprieve because he is actually AA when up, Watts has no ticker and that was what the Bailey and Neeld era was about.

You'd be surprised how much influence a senior coach has, Gold Coast are bringing in someone that has been part of modern successful environments, as a player and obviously assistant. It's what they need. Eade was destined to fail because he had the old school crack the whip mentality, but lacked modern nous.

JRyan23, Requiem and Jackie_Chiles like this.
  14. demondavey

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Gary Ablett became the biggest burden that football club had to deal with, if Geelong recruit him it'll be a monumental failure.

Footy 1st likes this.
  15. demondavey

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    What he can achieve is galvanising the group, having them buy into and play a much different style, minimising the floggings, building a platform for success from 2019.

16. Bokonon_

Bokonon_ Never Surrender

GWS
    Other teams:
    I think expectations should be carefully managed at this point. Dew needs to knew he has at least a few years. There wont be a quick fix.
    I'm not anti the Suns but there did seem to be something wrong with the team in 2017. In the Carlton game I saw them start poorly, then click up a gear and look dominant, then give it away with an injury. If you have that gear they really should be finding it more often.
    I wonder if initially it's just going to be a hard grind of instilling the values of effort and keeping your head up when things are going badly, with the benefit to come long term. It's really not the odd great win or good game, they have always had the talent to do that.

17. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    A few speculative no-cost late draft picks on the likes of delisted players Sam Collins and Troy Menzel would be worth a punt I think. Menzel might not be the best fit at a young club with his work-ethic but he is talented, depends what kind of impact Dew can have early days, while Collins was impressive for a first year KD in 2016 at Freo before falling out of favour this year and surprisingly (to me, who does not keep well-abreast of WAFL form) being delisted.

Collins would be a decent back-up option if Thompson struggles with continuity and they want to release May a bit more. Menzel is even more speculative but for a PSD/late pick, may be worth it.

18. GC2015

GC2015 Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    It would be foolish to expect a massive turn around in Dew's first year. Unless we find a way to bring in several solid midfielders this trade period.

Jackie_Chiles likes this.
  19. Footy 1st

Footy 1st Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    The AFL/Suns failed with the Ablett debacle. He was 'too big to fail' and brought brief hope followed by distain at the enormous cost of developing a committed and uniform culture.
    Geelong can't really lose with him...marketing will see huge initial input for attendence and merch and then he'll be finished..
    If Tom Lynch goes...we will see complete capitulation

20. Garry Barry

Garry Barry Senior List

GWS
    Other teams:
    Should aim for finals. They have a list that that can finish 7th or 8th.

21. Matchu

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
  22. Chezz

Chezz Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    There is no curse at the Gold Coast. The reality is they have been absolutely pillaged of all their talent by the Victorian clubs and the AFL has just let it happen. In the past few seasons they have lost really good players who are now in their prime eg. Prestia, Bennell, Caddy, O'Meara, Dixon, Zac Smith and Hickey (among others), for basically nothing in return. Rumours now about Tom Lynch and David Swallow too.

Of course they are going to be rubbish, similar to what happend to the Lions losing Yeo, Docherty, Longer, Polec etc. Now it has been suggested that they let Ablett go for nothing (even though he's contracted). No way, given he has a few good years left. How are they supposed to win any games, giving away gun contracted players - while making Geelong even stronger.

If Tom Lynch goes, the AFL needs to pull the plug on Gold Coast because they won't be competitive with every good player being poached by the Vic clubs.

23. kickthething

kickthething Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other teams:
    you are kidding, right?
    If he can get the club to resemble a footy club he will have made great gains. In reality, if he can survive with that peanut of a chairman, that in itself will be a major win.

24. Matchu

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    You don't think the Suns have been unlucky with injuries? It's not the only factor for their failures but it's a definite factor. Don't forget, the Suns were sitting pretty with a record of 9 wins and 6 losses at the end of round 16, 2014 when the reigning Brownlow Medallist's shoulder was dumped into the turf. They then proceeded to go 1-6 for the rest of the season and missed the finals by two wins.

Billy ray and Requiem like this.
  25. Chezz

Chezz Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    They were very unlucky in 2014. Gary was literally carrying GC on his shoulders. But as a team they were playing well too, they had lots of run and were creating a bit of a fortress at Metricon.

Last season they couldn't keep a player on the park, however losing so many players to injury was largely irrelevant. They were going to struggle anyway, with the demographic of their list. Guys like Brodie, Bowes and Scrimshaw may become good players, but impossible to expect they are going to coming in and dominate.

While GC haven't exactly been destroyed by Free Agency, the prospect of future pillaging by this means is pretty scary. Free Agency is the single biggest factor in killing equalisation.

If both our clubs continue to lose players the AFL is in real trouble in QLD