What can we as supporters do to drive change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trump should be available come November?

Not quite that soon. If he loses (and doesn’t do something crazy like “not accept” the result - reckon some form of this could be likely) he will need to hang around until the inauguration on Jan 20. He could be a very active lame duck in the interim.

And his reception of Sleepy Joe promises some special controversy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's not our business as supporters to drive change. We could have a good hard look at ourselves though. Despite 3 pretty successful years, we behave as if we are entitled to a premiership. We are not. Each of the last three years, our team has been shot to pieces by injury usually to crucial players, and yet we have contended. We have relentlessly bagged the coach, the players , the recruiters, the president, the ground, and in fact anyone but ourselves.
There have been many decisions that I have disagreed with, Beams being high among them, but I don't really know the reasoning behind any of them, I just guess.
Our function is to support. We have opinions, but they should not have a driving influence on club decisions. Those have to be made on the basis of cold hard facts and informed calculation.
We have to realize too, that we have not had high draft picks in a while, and in that lottery, we have lucked out too often when we have had those picks. We are in line for a drop and rebuild soon, and should not try to paper over the cracks with sale of draft picks. But that is only my opinion. A recruiting coup from the management could change everything.

It's not our business as supporters to drive change. We could have a good hard look at ourselves though. Despite 3 pretty successful years, we behave as if we are entitled to a premiership. We are not. Each of the last three years, our team has been shot to pieces by injury usually to crucial players, and yet we have contended. We have relentlessly bagged the coach, the players , the recruiters, the president, the ground, and in fact anyone but ourselves.
There have been many decisions that I have disagreed with, Beams being high among them, but I don't really know the reasoning behind any of them, I just guess.
Our function is to support. We have opinions, but they should not have a driving influence on club decisions. Those have to be made on the basis of cold hard facts and informed calculation.
We have to realize too, that we have not had high draft picks in a while, and in that lottery, we have lucked out too often when we have had those picks. We are in line for a drop and rebuild soon, and should not try to paper over the cracks with sale of draft picks. But that is only my opinion. A recruiting coup from the management could change everything.

What 3 years of success are you talking about? Our last successful year was 10 yo I can recall.

But this is the complaint majority of us are making about the current regime. Decisions aren't being made on the basis of cold hard facts and informed calculation. There's a very obvious emotional bias that permeates throughout the club, starting at the top with our President's tenure being tied to the coach. Can't make cold hard decisions on your mates when you were the one who hired them. Doing so would mean acknowledging that you failed at your job. House of cards principle in action for all to see.

I count any year where we have a chance in finals as success. If you only count premierships, you are dooming yourself to ceaseless disappointment.
I simply want our core mission statement to be fulfilled.
We exist to win Premierships, something they knew in the first half of last century.
Somewhere we lost that. Could it be the type of supporter that the initial success attracted doomed us to be also rans?

Let Buckley see out his contract. Eddie needs to go. Sadly his ego will keep him there for a long while yet. I wish he would just STFU.. every year , foot in mouth disease. Need a professional.. Ed is a clown. He has done many good things for our club, but just can't shut his trap.
Dumbass for calling games and doing media with Caro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I count any year where we have a chance in finals as success. If you only count premierships, you are dooming yourself to ceaseless disappointment.
I simply want our core mission statement to be fulfilled.
We exist to win Premierships, something they knew in the first half of last century.
Somewhere we lost that. Could it be the type of supporter that the initial success attracted doomed us to be also rans?

The end game is flags make no mistake about that, if fans are happy with the team making finals just to merely make up the numbers as a measure of success then life is rarely going to disappoint.

Clubs don't think this way (or at least I'd hope not), they only have one measure of success >flags<. Anything less is a failure to learn from.

So going by that Collingwood has been an abject failure for 6 decades, only achieving success twice in that time and have learnt little.

So what can we the fans do? Not much really, the only thing we can do collectively is let the club know we are not satisfied - how do we do that? Well I'm afraid that would mean pulling your membership, stop watching the tv, stop going to games until there's a deliberate change in the pursuit of achieving success. The post 2017 review has not worked but at least the attempt was there.

Everyone knows change is not going to happen for two reasons 1/ Some fans are satisfied with where we're at 2/ The rest of us won't stop watching the tv, going to games and pull memberships - the bulk of us anyway.

I've stopped watching our games and I'm not going to renew my membership, not in the hope there'll be an intended change / review because I know major change is unlikely to pursue success but merely because there's no point in me ponying up my cash for disappointment .

We'll likely float aimlessly mid table trying to convince ourselves we're in it (the clubs thinking) like we did pre 2018 for a number of years before the club will finally review things and make necessary changes. Hopefully that time whenever that is, success (the way I hope the club views success) will be realized.

The end game is flags make no mistake about that, if fans are happy with the team making finals just to merely make up the numbers as a measure of success then life is rarely going to disappoint.

Clubs don't think this way (or at least I'd hope not), they only have one measure of success >flags<. Anything less is a failure to learn from.

So going by that Collingwood has been an abject failure for 6 decades, only achieving success twice in that time and have learnt little.

So what can we the fans do? Not much really, the only thing we can do collectively is let the club know we are not satisfied - how do we do that? Well I'm afraid that would mean pulling your membership, stop watching the tv, stop going to games until there's a deliberate change in the pursuit of achieving success. The post 2017 review has not worked but at least the attempt was there.

Everyone knows change is not going to happen for two reasons 1/ Some fans are satisfied with where we're at 2/ The rest of us won't stop watching the tv, going to games and pull memberships - the bulk of us anyway.

I've stopped watching our games and I'm not going to renew my membership, not in the hope there'll be an intended change / review because I know major change is unlikely to pursue success but merely because there's no point in me ponying up my cash for disappointment .

We'll likely float aimlessly mid table trying to convince ourselves we're in it (the clubs thinking) like we did pre 2018 for a number of years before the club will finally review things and make necessary changes. Hopefully that time whenever that is, success (the way I hope the club views success) will be realized.
This pretty much sums up how I feel.

I probably wont renew my membership next year but I will continue to watch our games on TV.

I just don't think I can continue to financially support a club that is no longer for the members. It is no longer a club for the people, but a boys club, run by a president who has become a dictator.

If people want too keep swallowing the kool-aid that Ed pours for us year after year after year, good for them, but nothing will change until we stop.

He has wasted the best years of Pendles & Sidey's careers, and he'a about to do it to Grundy & Moore etc.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

I probably wont renew my membership next year but I will continue to watch our games on TV.

I just don't think I can continue to financially support a club that is no longer for the members. It is no longer a club for the people, but a boys club, run by a president who has become a dictator.

If people want too keep swallowing the kool-aid that Ed pours for us year after year after year, good for them, but nothing will change until we stop.

He has wasted the best years of Pendles & Sidey's careers, and he'a about to do it to Grundy & Moore etc.

And half the problem is actually too many fans accepting finals appearances as success, so the club says to itself 'we've got 85k members and an ocean of fans who attend games and watch us on the couch - everything is a ok'

I seriously fear the club is more invested in being a business more than winning flags and what's worse is the acceptance of that from the bulk of the fans. Therefore change will not happen and if we happen to snag a flag that's a bonus, not the primary objective. :(

In response to the topic. We can’t do much at all unfortunately. It is a dictatorship at the top. Prez and board will only make changes when it’s bleeding obvious and too late. We just have to endure. We can only keep paying for memberships and support where we can.

This season is a bit of a free hit for all coaches. You can’t be judged poorly this year for many reasons, so nobody will be getting the sack.
I hope there’s a bit of a shake up with the playing list and the coaching staff at the end of this year. Both are getting a bit stale.
We as members can do something, just like the USA at the moment. We need to get out and vote when it comes to the board elections. Our voices need to be heard loud and clear and we need a leader to stand behind not just blindly following Ed and his sycophants.

We as members can do something, just like the USA at the moment. We need to get out and vote when it comes to the board elections. Our voices need to be heard loud and clear and we need a leader to stand behind not just blindly following Ed and his sycophants.

Who has stood against Ed at those elections? You putting your hand up?

The main problem is that there has been no candidates in the past. No one of any profile is willing to stand against Ed....and Alex Waislitz has been unopposed for years and just gets slotted back in without even having to say a word to the members. I cant believe that this form of "unity" has any benefit.

We need to put a Big Footy Ticket together for the next CFC General Meeting.

I think Gimpy needs to run for Prez, his grasp of all situations as well as his killer male scents just scream PRESIDENT of COLLINGWOOD to me .....second the motion?

Loki, goukki and Kapps for Draft and Trades, Silky should be in charge of raising finance and sponsorship.....whilst Jen is the obvious choice for Vice President because she just has her finger on the pulse of the club.

Sideswipe and TKIL can handle all legals and our medical staff will be beyond reproach with the docs we have on here!

Great GRundy and Goodhorse should be in charge of motivation whilst the rest of us will just fill out the committee and maintain the "CULCHA" of the club.

We need to put a Big Footy Ticket together for the next CFC General Meeting.

I think Gimpy needs to run for Prez, his grasp of all situations as well as his killer male scents just scream PRESIDENT of COLLINGWOOD to me .....second the motion?

Loki, goukki and Kapps for Draft and Trades, Silky should be in charge of raising finance and sponsorship.....whilst Jen is the obvious choice for Vice President because she just has her finger on the pulse of the club.

Sideswipe and TKIL can handle all legals and our medical staff will be beyond reproach with the docs we have on here!

Great GRundy and Goodhorse should be in charge of motivation whilst the rest of us will just fill out the committee and maintain the "CULCHA" of the club.

You flatter me - surely you’ll be involved somehow!

Let Buckley see out his contract. Eddie needs to go. Sadly his ego will keep him there for a long while yet. I wish he would just STFU.. every year , foot in mouth disease. Need a professional.. Ed is a clown. He has done many good things for our club, but just can't shut his trap.
Dumbass for calling games and doing media with Caro.
His style of leadership is more akin to a despot, which is uninspiring as a fan / member, to say the least. Even getting his head in the Goodes doco as a leading voice on the game & the industry was..... bewildering

Overall though, the amount of conflicts of interest in our league is ridiculous & unheard of across the global sports landscape.

President of Collingwood calling games & producing AFL chat shows, permanently on radio commentating on the industry
President of North Melbourne calling his own games & mc'ing AFL talk back radio shows
Director of Football & Board member of Adelaide commentating on his own games, holding player interviews / boundary riding
Football Director & board member at Carlton commentating games, talk back radio
Previous Hawthorn interim CEO / board member commentating games, hosting AFL shows, radio show host

There's so much lack of accountability in the AFL industry that everyone has just become de-sensitised to it... which is quite sickening & would have led to full scale riots in other countries

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back