What changes would you make to the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

doransport

Debutant
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
After a weekend where five of nine games were decided by under a goal what tweaks would you make?

Got to bring in a red card for extenuating circumstances.
Shorter quarters, so everyone can play each other twice.
Bonus point system for big margins.

1. get rid of banners, drop the players into the stadium by parachute at the start of each game instead
2. no numbers on the players backs, players should each design their own symbol and have that on the back of their jumper
3. have a roaming commentator allowed on the field during the game with a camera who is also allowed to get the ball and tackle people (either team). If any one hits the commentator it is a free kick to the other team 15 out from goal but from the boundary line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when a player is suspended, the opposition club gets to decide when that suspension is served.

Nomination of that suspension could be made 5 minutes before start of play, meaning the player may have travelled for nothing.

Basically leave the game as it is. The rules are fine. As Clarkson says, "We have Laws. Umpires should enforce them. Pay the free kicks."

One rule we could look at is maybe make it 16 a side and have 6 on the bench. Wouldn't that ease some of the congestion? The game has probably outgrown 18-a-side. It's no longer positional with long kicks to one-on-one contests. It's become a territorial invasion game played by superfit athletes who run up and back for 2 hours. We probably don't need 18 players these days. Except we're totally wedded to the idea of 18-a-side. It's one of the pillars of game which will never change. But why not? What's so magical about the number 18?

I would also use Video Review to issue red cards for blatant acts of thuggery. It has to happen. We are the only sport in the world which doesn't send off players for thug acts. Some people say the send-off rule gives the umpires "too much power". Okay then... Take it out of the umpires' hands. Use a centralised video referee.. Sort of an on-the-spot tribunal hearing.
- But it can't be used for trivial s**t... Stiff penalties for players who fake getting hit and try to get their opponent sent off.

Some peripheral stuff I would change:

• Remove the runners. I'm sick of them outstaying their welcome and getting in the way. What other sport allows staff to run onto the field during play? Each team makes 20 interchanges per quarter. It's more than enough for coaches to get their messages across and use players to relay any messages they might have.

• 2 goal umpires at each end. One on each goal post. This is overdue. The AFL know it, but they are too tight-fisted to make the change.

• A free kick for holding the man to be awarded every time a player grabs/jostles another player
  • A free kick to be awarded every time a player shoves, elbows, bumps an opponent after a goal or behind
  • A free kick to be awarded against EVERY antagonist who gets in another player's face and gobs off after a goal or behind
  • Minimum 1 match bans for jumper punches, gut punches, trips, ear massages, diving, etc.
I'm sick of all this niggling bullshit. The AFL could stamp it out overnight if they properly penalised players with free kicks and suspensions.

Basically, I think the game is fine. My biggest gripe is with the media coverage. That's the REAL problem with footy.
We have too many f**kwit journos and f**kwit commentators

Last edited:
Get back to playing Australian Rules Football with an emphasis on 'Australian rules. What we have at the moment is a mixture of basketball and a rolling rugby scrum.

Reduce interchanges to 40 per team, per game. Interchanges to be completed during breaks in play only (after a goal scored or during blood rule delay etc.). Properly protect players going in for the ball and deal with off-ball hits to the chest and arms by playing free kicks on the spot.

Red card and that's about it. In the past I've thought extend the bench, but I dunno if that'd help much these days. Otherwise the game is fine the way it is. Remove these few new stupid rules they've brought in like ruck nomination and the protective zone crap.

1. get rid of banners, drop the players into the stadium by parachute at the start of each game instead
2. no numbers on the players backs, players should each design their own symbol and have that on the back of their jumper
3. have a roaming commentator allowed on the field during the game with a camera who is also allowed to get the ball and tackle people (either team). If any one hits the commentator it is a free kick to the other team 15 out from goal but from the boundary line
While alot of that was hogwash, the idea of players designing their own symbol is a terrific idea. Weed out the dumb ones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back