Politics & Government What changes would you make to your city?

Remove this Banner Ad

But how many people live in Canberra that aren't FT govt employees anyway? (serious question, I don't know)

The only reason I could ever even imagine moving to Canberra (and the only reason anyone I've ever known that lived there did) is if I got such a position.

There seems to be a clear schism. If you walk around any area like Woden or Dickson during a weekday, you will see heaps of retired people, labour workers, etc. Certain other suburbs appear predominate APS or similar. I'd guess about 50%. Similar to many other cities, just with more FT workers in the public sphere as opposed to private sphere I guess.

How far out did you live? I take a bus a train and a tram to get to Uni going from my house to Blackburn then into the CBD then out to Bundoora, and that takes about 1.5 hours in the morning.

Personally I wouldn't change much about Melbourne, obviously Public transport can be improved substantially and a fair bit cheaper for commuters. I also wouldn't mind seeing one or two more nightclubs in the CBD as the quality is good but its pretty limited to where you go and then the lines are absurd.

When I worked in Burwood & lived in Croydon, I used to have to catch a bus, a train, a bus & a tram to get there & back, it took me at least 2 hours each way, depending if all the services were on time, which often they weren't.

public transport in Melbourne is great if you live within 10k of the city. I live in Kensington and have a choice of three train lines and a tram line. All 5-10 minute walk from my place.

But I grew up in the outer suburbs and it took an 1.5 hours to get to work in the city. Bus then train.

Hence why they are building more higher density apartment living closer to Melbourne at transport hubs.

I live in Thornbury and have access to two tram lines and a train line. I work in Carlton which is not far from thornbury but it takes me over an hour to get there via PT. There's no agility in our transport routes, meaning, if you want to go to a suburb that isn't on your train line then you have to go into town and out again. It would be fantastic if we had something like the 'Tube' in London. I don't know why we didn't originally build something like that when melbourne was first settled given that there were examples of it working well in other big cities.

There seems to be a clear schism. If you walk around any area like Woden or Dickson during a weekday, you will see heaps of retired people, labour workers, etc. Certain other suburbs appear predominate APS or similar. I'd guess about 50%. Similar to many other cities, just with more FT workers in the public sphere as opposed to private sphere I guess.
Fair enough then.

I've seen this joke so many times; really feel like I must've missed a thread somewhere along the way as Vermont souths fine :p
Vermont South is one of my favourite BigFooty-isms. I hear Jungle Jims fish and chip shop is good, although it's gone downhill a bit.

You really have missed out :p

Sydney:

- identify candidates for satellite cities within 300kms of the Sydney cbd in the directions north, south, south west and west.
north: gosford, Newcastle, taree
south: Wollongong, nowra, ulladulla
south west: goulburn, canberra
west: Lithgow, Bathurst, orange
- lay down the infrastructure in these cities to support populations of between 250-500k.
- identify several auxiliary cbds in metropolitan Sydney in the directions north, south, south west and west and offer tax offsets and other incentives for sydney-based corporations/businesses to shift their headquarters to these.
north: chatswood, hornsby
south: hurstville, Sutherland
south west: Liverpool, campbelltown
west: parramatta, Penrith
- build four bullet train lines heading north, south, south west and west that will travel 300km in an hour (including stops), so one could effectively live in Canberra and commute to Sydney cbd in an hour.
- aim to decrease the Sydney metropolitan population by 2million in 20 years, creating less strain on the already struggling infrastructure.

Sydney:

- identify candidates for satellite cities within 300kms of the Sydney cbd in the directions north, south, south west and west.
north: gosford, Newcastle, taree
south: Wollongong, nowra, ulladulla
south west: goulburn, canberra
west: Lithgow, Bathurst, orange
- lay down the infrastructure in these cities to support populations of between 250-500k.
- identify several auxiliary cbds in metropolitan Sydney in the directions north, south, south west and west and offer tax offsets and other incentives for sydney-based corporations/businesses to shift their headquarters to these.
north: chatswood, hornsby
south: hurstville, Sutherland
south west: Liverpool, campbelltown
west: parramatta, Penrith
- build four bullet train lines heading north, south, south west and west that will travel 300km in an hour (including stops), so one could effectively live in Canberra and commute to Sydney cbd in an hour.
- aim to decrease the Sydney metropolitan population by 2million in 20 years, creating less strain on the already struggling infrastructure.

Everything except the last one makes perfect sense, and although it would clearly require huge capital investment, would provide massive economic benefits.

The last one wont work for a number of reasons, including pop growth forecasts, retaining the critical mass to support a broad range of industries within the city, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

melbourne:
- train line to the airport
- a ring train line that pretty much circumvents the edge of zone 1 (about 7-8 km's from city centre). seems stupid that say to get from, for instance, northcote to brunswick you gotta go into town then back out. i'm not too familair with the public transport up there so there may be buses trams that do that job but a train would be ideal.
So much this, pisses me off to no end that to get anywhere but the city I have to go into Richmond first. Looking into university options and none with the course i'm looking at doing are near train lines like where I'm currently studying.

I like how a teenager who isn't from Perth nor lives in Perth has the answers for the city's problems...

Anyhoo, I would build a wall around the city, Berlin style. Not a physical barrier in this case, just an imaginary boundary.

Within the boundary, promote development and higher density living. I live walking distance from a train station ~10km out from the city and the local zoning is mostly R20 or R30. I mean FFS. If people want to live close to the city and in apartments, townhouses etc. they will have access to modern and reliable PT and shiney new community facilities.

Beyond the boundary, maintain the status quo. Train line to Ellenbrook? GAGF.

I don't seek to punish the outer suburbanites, but if Perth's going to grow and actually become a better city then sacrifices need to be made by all. You want your 4 x 2 on 1/4 acre 5km from the city, fine - but don't cry to me when 3 townhouses go up next door. You want your 4 x 2 on 1/4 acre 50km from the city, fine - but don't cry to me that you can't walk to a train station.

Canberra is pretty good. Things that would improve it;

1. Serious lack of Fish n Chip shops in this city, should be a go-to in most shopping centre areas
2. A train line between Canberra-Sydney could be nice. The Bus service apparently works fairly well though, so I imagine only something like a bullet train would ever be approved.
3. Capital city, but arguably a regional centre, so doesnt quite have all the services you would generally expect of a capital city. Some of the health services are a little lacking, but the ACT govt is generally okay.
4. With the death of Borders, lacks a reliable go-to bookshop. But I guess everyone is using amazon/book depository now anyway. My local one in Manuka is amazing, but the city centre probably needs one you can just lose yourself in.
5. Cost of living is probably up there with the worst in Australia. Hard place to live in unless you have a full-time job/flatmates.

By the way, the new mcdonalds/petrol station out near gungahlin before leaving canberra is a good addition. Canberra needed something like that.
Some also complain about parking, but the same could be said for any city really. The only other grievance is the winter cold, but nothing you can do about that.

About the only thing here is, you guessed it, public transport. The Gunghalin light rail might make a difference out there. The main route, Tuggeranong-Woden-Civic-Belconnen is pretty good Monday to Friday but suck between Woden and Tuggeranong on weekends because they add an extra half hour loop rather than running an extra service to link some suburbs. Every other route blows, hardly ever run and snake their way through half the city and take seemingly 2 hours to travel 15 minutes by car.
Major office blocks (by Canberra standards) near the airport, with transport on weekends or after 6pm. The amount of times I had to get a cab because I had to work weekends or stay back were ridiculous. I can almost inderstand it though, as most of it is Defence (they seem to mostly start early and finish early) and the last bus is almost always near empty. It sucks when doing 60+ hour weeks out there though.
They also have a nasty habit of cancelling the last service out of a suburb due to breakdowns.

Oh, and there is a train to Sydney. It goes from Kingston, costs more than the bus and also takes about 60 minutes longer. Unless you live near the station, you have to drive anyway, so you might as well drive to Sydney.
Its easier to get a bus to the city, and a bus form there to Sydney at under half the price. You still end up at Central.

If I was younger, I would probably want the town more compact so the city centre could be an entertainment centre. As it is, the disjointed nature of the place leaves the city somewhat lifeless. Its an odd town in that regard, but I'm used to it now and the green space is nice to have. I can understand why so many want out when they are young though.

Place certain limits on outer suburban expansion and encourage medium/higher density living in the inner suburbs, where appropriate.

Improve the eastern suburban transport network, with light rail perpendicular to the train lines.

Upgrade the inner suburban rail infrastructure, if possible with sunken lines on the busiest roots.

Mandate that large inner city developments provide publicly accessible green spaces.

I like how a teenager who isn't from Perth nor lives in Perth has the answers for the city's problems...

Anyhoo, I would build a wall around the city, Berlin style. Not a physical barrier in this case, just an imaginary boundary.

Within the boundary, promote development and higher density living. I live walking distance from a train station ~10km out from the city and the local zoning is mostly R20 or R30. I mean FFS. If people want to live close to the city and in apartments, townhouses etc. they will have access to modern and reliable PT and shiney new community facilities.

Beyond the boundary, maintain the status quo. Train line to Ellenbrook? GAGF.

I don't seek to punish the outer suburbanites, but if Perth's going to grow and actually become a better city then sacrifices need to be made by all. You want your 4 x 2 on 1/4 acre 5km from the city, fine - but don't cry to me when 3 townhouses go up next door. You want your 4 x 2 on 1/4 acre 50km from the city, fine - but don't cry to me that you can't walk to a train station.
This all seems fairly reasonable, hopefully higher density living would also bring prices down, or provide slightly more affordable accommodation for younger people.

Perth's public transport coverage is already shithouse, but halting the urban sprawl is important because you also don't want the problem that exists in Melbourne, where inner city coverage is great, but the population centre for Melbourne is km's to the east, not centered around the CBD.

A fixation with suburban living, lack of foresight from successive state and local governments re town planning and a complete lack of investment in suburban public transport infrastructure in the eastern suburbs has seen a fairly grim situation develop.

Create higher density living in the inner city in an effort to stunt urban sprawl.
There is not much to say in regards to Public transport in Melbourne, most have covered it, but one thing I would change is to electrify and double the tracks to Melton like what happened with Sunbury, and in doing so upgrade Melton Station.

Everything except the last one makes perfect sense, and although it would clearly require huge capital investment, would provide massive economic benefits.

The last one wont work for a number of reasons, including pop growth forecasts, retaining the critical mass to support a broad range of industries within the city, etc.

i know, the whole thing is pie-in-the-sky type of stuff of course, but the last one is just me being selfish.
that said, i honestly believe that the existing infrastructure in sydney (particularly the roads) is coping with twice it's capacity and a reduction in population would be greatly beneficial for the remaining sydneysiders' quality of life. i'd love to see the de-gentrification of many of the inner suburbs and a bit more character brought to the cbd rather than skyrise after skyrise with the odd generic cafe thrown in between.

Create higher density living in the inner city in an effort to stunt urban sprawl.
There is not much to say in regards to Public transport in Melbourne, most have covered it, but one thing I would change is to electrify and double the tracks to Melton like what happened with Sunbury, and in doing so upgrade Melton Station.
Oh and a smart card system that actually works, say modeled on PASMO.

Reliable, no overcharging and you can simply tag on as it reads through a thick wallet. Myki is such a scam, I am so suspicious of the chronic overcharging. It needs a complete overhaul, or we have to, I mean absolutely have to, bring back temporary ticketing to go along with Myki.

Honestly, Melbourne would become a complete utopia if I had the ability to make changes I wanted.

This is only the beginning of my agenda -
*Make it illegal to operate a vehicle over 20 years old unless they pass say bi-annual road worthy test
*Permanently disqualify any driver found to be the cause of an accident during peak times
*Legalize the tasering of pedestrians who walk slower then myself, double tasering applies those who are unable to keep left if not walking on escalators
*Create a licensing regime in which parents must be tested before childbirth to make sure they're fit for parenting. Failure means the must abort the child and consequently have the snip/tubes tied or they will be banished from my city Napolean style
*Block out all free to air television and radio as it is all rubbish and poisons people's minds with stupidity
*Demolish that stupid wheel in the docklands and replace it with a giant statue of myself
*Work for the dole would be absolutely mandatory for any unemployed person without definitive proof of exceptional circumstances
** off tolls on roads, add lanes to the western ring road, westgate and monash and destroy whatever is necessary to do so
*Remove all speed cameras
*Jail anyone who stinks that is on public transport, I wouldn't be opposed to the death penalty here...
*Conscription to the defence force for any juvenile convicted of a minor crime, adult sentencing for a major crime
*Legalize all drugs but enforce harsher sentencing on anyone convicted under the influence of illicit substance or alcohol thus ensuring they are enjoyed responsibly
*Sentence pet owners for their pet's actions
*Make it illegal to promote funeral/life insurance unless they can come up with ads that don't make me want to kill myself and everyone else
*Ban the practising in all forms of religion
*Anyone person or persons found to be wearing their trousers below waist level will be imprisoned for a minimum 2 years up to a maximum 25 depending on their seriousness or their crime
*The speaking of a foreign language in a public place by anyone other then tourists is to be punishable by catapult
*Get rid of St Kilda from the AFL or at least burden another state, town or city with them by relocating them to say Dubbo or Moe as befitting of their status
*Free childcare for all working parents
*Impose the death penalty for anyone caught littering my city with cigarette butts
*Create ferries from Werribee and Frankston and where ever else necessary into the Docklands or Port Melbourne thus reducing the strain on our current transport network
*Harsher sentencing across the board
*You don't see enough ducks around, I'd import more. They're cute!!
*We have become too fat. I would have if people want fast food then they'd need to go out of their way to get it not have it so easily accessible particularly around any transportation hubs, major events or social gatherings or anywhere that a large number of children might be able to access like within walking distance from their school or footy ground etc
*Obviously with all this expenditure it would be important that I implement schemes for the city/state coffers beyond the tax money the legalization of drugs, ferry tax etc would bring in so that's where we see more pokies in venues, locally produced pr0n industry (thus offering a future to a lot of people who would otherwise have none particularly out here in the western suburbs), death penalty and banishment would bring in some major bucks from otherwise costly citizens.
*We'd need more bomb shelters as it wouldn't take long for us to have war declared upon us
*Scrap the big issue, it is s**t

That's all I can be bothered with for now.

Let's get it done

About the only thing here is, you guessed it, public transport. The Gunghalin light rail might make a difference out there. The main route, Tuggeranong-Woden-Civic-Belconnen is pretty good Monday to Friday but suck between Woden and Tuggeranong on weekends because they add an extra half hour loop rather than running an extra service to link some suburbs. Every other route blows, hardly ever run and snake their way through half the city and take seemingly 2 hours to travel 15 minutes by car.
Major office blocks (by Canberra standards) near the airport, with transport on weekends or after 6pm. The amount of times I had to get a cab because I had to work weekends or stay back were ridiculous. I can almost inderstand it though, as most of it is Defence (they seem to mostly start early and finish early) and the last bus is almost always near empty. It sucks when doing 60+ hour weeks out there though.
They also have a nasty habit of cancelling the last service out of a suburb due to breakdowns.

Oh, and there is a train to Sydney. It goes from Kingston, costs more than the bus and also takes about 60 minutes longer. Unless you live near the station, you have to drive anyway, so you might as well drive to Sydney.
Its easier to get a bus to the city, and a bus form there to Sydney at under half the price. You still end up at Central.

If I was younger, I would probably want the town more compact so the city centre could be an entertainment centre. As it is, the disjointed nature of the place leaves the city somewhat lifeless. Its an odd town in that regard, but I'm used to it now and the green space is nice to have. I can understand why so many want out when they are young though.

Im not really a nightlife person, so I dont mind if the city centre is a little quiet in the evening. I do love the green space as well, the air quality is relatively good too.

I live in Kingston, and think I live near the station, but have never really checked it out. There doesnt really seem to be a train presence if you know what I mean. I have friends at the defence office blocks who can still take a bus on a weekend, just apparently they run at different/more awkward times compared to a weekday. I only live a 5 minute drive from work and there is heaps of parking, so never had issues with public transport personally. I could honestly just ride to work everyday, but I have an early start so usually just want to take the car.

Im not really a nightlife person, so I dont mind if the city centre is a little quiet in the evening. I do love the green space as well, the air quality is relatively good too.

I live in Kingston, and think I live near the station, but have never really checked it out. There doesnt really seem to be a train presence if you know what I mean. I have friends at the defence office blocks who can still take a bus on a weekend, just apparently they run at different/more awkward times compared to a weekday. I only live a 5 minute drive from work and there is heaps of parking, so never had issues with public transport personally. I could honestly just ride to work everyday, but I have an early start so usually just want to take the car.

That depends which Defence office blocks. I was referring to the Brindabella Park ones, next to the airport. Nothing runs there on weekends. Not one bus, or at least didn't up until late last year. As I don't drive due to sight issues, that sort of thing is a real pain.
For Russell offices and most others, not sure about Campbell Park, there are buses on weekends.

The main one here (Vancouver) would be to build a couple more highways to ease congestion. Only LA has worse traffic congestion in North America. A lot of it is due to waterways or mountains being in the way but Vancouver didn't prepare well for the boom it had in the 80s. Population grew and the city tried to stay as green as it could by not building big roads. Definitely need a few more though because it's had the opposite effect.

Also, the downtown areas is kind of dead and doesn't offer much variety in terms of restaurants or nightlife. The good spots are sort of spread everywhere.

Affordable housing is another issue. Only Hong Kong was above Vancouver for cost of living in a recent study.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back