what clever game tactics do you know?

Remove this Banner Ad

paul-ince.gif

Out of bounds on the full. As soon as the player taking the kick steps inside the boundary line it is play on (well as soon as the ump calls play on but the umpire always will). Every single player on the mark does not know this rule and continues to stand on the mark. You don't need to rush him and maybe let him get past you... but surely move past the mark towards the guy with the free kick and put a little more pressure on him. One of the little things that always pisses me off in every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been thinking of a few potential tactics to be used in close games.

1. you have the lead, race into open goal, but just sit there, waiting for someone to come get you to waste time. I think Montagna did it this year.

2. Drawn game with not long to go. after a bounce up, you have the ball in a tightly contested spot 5m from goal by the point post, so you deliberately kick a behind, than to bother going for a goal and ******* up.

3. Drawn game, Go for a try. Wrong sport I know, but what the hey.

Buckley, Is that you?
Mick is only a phone call away if your this desperate for new ideas.

As far as rushing behinds goes, Garry Hocking did that years ago when Geelong were one point down to make sure of the draw.

A crazy tactic I know is when the game is tight and you don't have the ball, make sure each one of your players stands right next to an opponent so that when the player with the ball has to dispose of the ball he doesn't have a free player to kick it to. Groundbreaking I know. The number of times the game is close with a couple of minutes left and players stick to a zone allowing easy possessions does my head in.

A tactic I'm surprised hasn't really taken off is kick and chase. Rugby is an offside game so you can't kick the ball 50m ahead to a teammate, so you can kick for territory (now penalised in footy as deliberate if it goes out), kick it high for players to run onto and challenge the defensive line in the air or chip it ahead past the defensive line for yourself or a teammate to run onto. Given footy is just rugby without offside these days I'm surprised more guys like Brad Hill who get the ball at HB and have 30+ players behind them don't just chip the ball ahead then run on to re-gather or kick it high with the same purpose. Obvs no point Matt Priddis kicking it 30m up in the air when his man will run past him, pick it up, then run back past him.

With dribble kicks and intercept marking in vogue I want to see a team deliberately kick the ball along the ground inside 50. Heath Shaw can tell you all about the unpredictability of the oval ball. In shorter words than 'unpredictability'. Dwayne Russell needs to be commentating.

If you take a mark i50 with a close lead at the end of match, go back 100 metres and walk up really slowly

And this, at 11:10

Yes this! I've always thought about both of these examples. How much time did Saad waste with that really long walk in? Could've made a cuppa tea!
That video is so good, that's exactly how you do it, fake a kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back