what clever game tactics do you know?

Du_key

Debutant
Feb 21, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I heard a story about Akermanis where an opposition player stated the week before in the footy record how much they were looking forward to the new Harry Potter book. A day or two before the game the new book was released and this player was playing the Lions. Aker read it cover to cover the day before the game and spent the whole game telling his opponent every possible spoiler he could think of just to get under his skin. From memory it worked big time.

Apr 20, 2004
Regional VIC
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Dispense with your ruckmen altogether. Play 4 midfielders instead. Is it compulsory to have anyone actually contest a ruck contest at the centre bounce? If not, it allows you to have one more runner which always seems to be important these days.

I read years ago a memoir from an English soccer player (centre-forward) who found out that one of the main opposition centre-half (direct opponent) hated garlic.

So he used to load up on the garlic the night before and morning of the game, and the centre-half would stand an extra step away from him, which gave him that split-second extra time when running into space. Tiny, but important. Take any advantage you can.
Zeno Tsatzaris (Footscray player in the 80s) used to actually do this - he had a yoghurt/garlic concoction he'd eat before games.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
For the tiges, kicking to their own player in forward 50 would be quite novel.

Are you sure? A guy with a name like that doesn't seem like the type to be eating garlic or yoghurt. ;)
Good old Zeno, Parkside boy. You just know he lived at home until he was 37

A new one - the Bulldogs last weekend against Carlton reverted back to their old 2014 forward-line structure by having Liam Jones screw everything up.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Send someone with the flu into the travelling team's hotel to ride up & down the elevators touching every surface possible.

Turn off the opposition's changerooms showers ala WACA final v Collingwood 1994

I remember Coxy used to half crouch (for want of a better term) when the opposition used to kick out after a point so they couldn't see they were kicking it in his direction.

I remember a game (Beasley for Footscray v Brisbane at GABBA?) where the whole crowd was used to put off an after the siren shot at goal. There might have been a player on a teammate's shoulders on the mark too.

"Chewy on your boot"

Last edited:

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
One that teams don't like doing any more is to handball to a teammate & then use their body to protect the player from the chasing player.

Last edited:

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Legend.

I swear I read all of section 15.

Pretty sure that resulted from my previously mentioned Beasley shot on goal. If you look closely you can see the player on a teammate's shoulders on the mark. Chaos.

Shaking the goalpost not allowed after another incident. Can't recall when it was, but much later than the above.

Last edited:

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure that resulted from my previously mentioned Beasley shot on goal. If you look closely you can see the player on a teammate's shoulders on the mark. Chaos.

Shaking the goalpost not allowed after another incident. Can't recall when it was, but much later than the above.

Yep, the player on the team mate's shoulders was clearly the issue there and not the several hundred crowd members on the field! :D

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Last edited:
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I heard a story about Akermanis where an opposition player stated the week before in the footy record how much they were looking forward to the new Harry Potter book. A day or two before the game the new book was released and this player was playing the Lions. Aker read it cover to cover the day before the game and spent the whole game telling his opponent every possible spoiler he could think of just to get under his skin. From memory it worked big time.
God I hope this story is actually true.

Back