Coach What coaches are available?

Ross Lyon is available.
Ricky-Gervais.gif

Ive been a big advocate of getting both BMac and Smithy back to the club.

With alld ue repsect to the current assistant coaches, they need to find a chair for Smithy. He heas been released from his contract at the Doggies.

I know its a shitty situation and not one to be discussed flippantly as peoples livelihoods are at stake - but Smithy IMO would help us tremendously.

GO Catters

Ive been a big advocate of getting both BMac and Smithy back to the club.

With alld ue repsect to the current assistant coaches, they need to find a chair for Smithy. He heas been released from his contract at the Doggies.

I know its a shitty situation and not one to be discussed flippantly as peoples livelihoods are at stake - but Smithy IMO would help us tremendously.

GO Catters

Would love to have Joel back at the club but isn't there meant to be a bit of a clash between he and Scott?

Would love to have Joel back at the club but isn't there meant to be a bit of a clash between he and Scott?
Not sure if it's because of a clash with Scott or what's the reason, but I remember in 2019 when the club was going to be celebrating the 10yr anniversary of our 09 flag, Ling was on TV (post match like a month before said planned match day celebrations) and he was taking about how hard it is to plan the day when most players are available etc

He then made a comment about a Corey and how if he came down that day it would be his first time back at the club since he left - guessing that means outside of any coaching commitments

That stuck with me and made me think that it's unlikely we'll be seeing him back at the club in any official capacity any time soon

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
How soon did he join FFC? I would think that would preclude coming by the actual premises of the club. I'm sure he's met up with various ex-teammates that he was friends with.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
has been coaching a long long time and had a great long successful era as a premiership coach so is going down as a club great.

can’t wait for this new coach to walk in apparently have us playing blistering Quick movement at all cost footy, huge 60+ point weekly wins and a whopping percentage off the charts.

apparently we are terribly coached and even an average coach could just walk in and take this group to the promised land, from its stuffing everything up position of top four finishes and prelim placements.

so can’t wait to see this coach whip out the magic wand and turn us into the Harlem globetrotters. And excuses such as dangerfield Hawkins etc retiring Just doesn’t cut it as Ive always been told over the years! So none of that nonsense either. Even Garry Ablett junior leaving 2010 didn’t impact us apparently.

there is a greater chance than not our coach will just be.... average.. and we will not be a great side.. just a fact of footy.

most coaches are not to the level of ability of Chris Scott, clarkson malthouse level. That’s just a fact.

we may end up with another gem... or we may end up with the “norm” which is an average coach who is in and out in 3-4 years.

just a fact of what usually happens.

so in the meantime, I will just appreciate us having a champion coach with the few years left, then worry about it after How we are going to replace a coach of that caliber

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
has been coaching a long long time and had a great long successful era as a premiership coach so is going down as a club great.

can’t wait for this new coach to walk in apparently have us playing blistering Quick movement at all cost footy, huge 60+ point weekly wins and a whopping percentage off the charts.

apparently we are terribly coached and even an average coach could just walk in and take this group to the promised land, from its stuffing everything up position of top four finishes and prelim placements.

so can’t wait to see this coach whip out the magic wand and turn us into the Harlem globetrotters. And excuses such as dangerfield Hawkins etc retiring Just doesn’t cut it as Ive always been told over the years! So none of that nonsense either. Even Garry Ablett junior leaving 2010 didn’t impact us apparently.

there is a greater chance than not our coach will just be.... average.. and we will not be a great side.. just a fact of footy.

most coaches are not to the level of ability of Chris Scott, clarkson malthouse level. That’s just a fact.

we may end up with another gem... or we may end up with the “norm” which is an average coach who is in and out in 3-4 years.

so in the meantime, I will just appreciate us having a champion coach with the few years left, then worry about it after How we are going to replace a coach of that caliber

Effing Delusional :rolleyes:

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

May as well make the change. Scott can’t win another one.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Same logic as many previous threads you started which have subsequently backfired in sensational fashion.

yep it sure backfired. He got a contract extension for 3 years and a memo from the ceo sent out calling a minority of geelong fans as “ugly”.

yep things have sure backfired on me.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
yep it sure backfired. He got a contract extension for 3 years and a memo from the ceo sent out calling a minority of geelong fans as “ugly”.

yep things have sure backfired on me.

He's not a great coach in which you continually sprout on here (and elsewhere). He's a good coach who has his flaws just like most of the other coaches apart from Clarkson.

Chris has also had a very good list to work with since taking charge.
The club have recruited ready made players, some considered elite and in their prime (Henderson, Smith, Tuohy, Dangerfield, Dahlhaus). Ablett can be added to the list considering he is still an elite player albeit past his prime as of 2018.

To think, with such talent he has had to work with, the club has not made it back to another grand final since 2011, it's all on the coach. There is no better proof of this than witnessing last years Qualifying Final against Collingwood where his immense ego dictated the eventual outcome of the match by choosing not play a ruckman against the no.1 or, no.2 ruckman in the competition. Brodie Grundy virtually did as he pleased with 47 hit-outs, 7 clearances and 21 possessions.
Bizarrely, this was not the first time the Geelong Footy Club witnessed this.
Think back to season 2013 and we had a home final all of places, the no.1 ruckman in the game back then was Aron Sandilands and Chris Scott used Mark Blicavs in ruck.
This is a coach who does not like change. He's done it before and he will pick no ruckman for a final again.

The club should have played in at least two more grand finals post 2011. Held back because of Scott's egotistical ambitions.

May as well make the change. Scott can’t win another one.
No coach will get us to win another flag. We are doomed until Channel 10 takes over AFL broadcasting. Can't you all see that?
ALL our flags . Channel 10.

Back