What Commentators Do People Actually Like?

Remove this Banner Ad

the best call ever would be sandy, eddie and dunstall. just 3 guys - 2 nice normal callers and special comments from a man who has a brain. it's so simple. everyone else is trash.

the best call ever would be sandy, eddie and dunstall. just 3 guys - 2 nice normal callers and special comments from a man who has a brain. it's so simple. everyone else is trash.
You actually like Eddie after that maniacal barracking performance against your mob when Carlton beat you??

Fully agree, but it also highlights one of the issues I have with AFL calling...there are just too many people in the commentary box.
2 callers and 2 experts simply aren't needed. Plus they then go down to the boundary rider for more analysis.

Spot on!

The Yanks don't often get it right, but their model of one caller and one comments guy is all you need. Plus they seem to match the pairs for on air chemistry. Al and Chris are a great example of this.

One other thing I'd like to raise is the seeming need for everyone to be a comedian. Here's a hint. If people ain't laughing, you ain't funny.

Spot on!

The Yanks don't often get it right, but their model of one caller and one comments guy is all you need. Plus they seem to match the pairs for on air chemistry. Al and Chris are a great example of this.
Their sports aren't anywhere as good as ours but I still watch them, but I seriously don't think I've hardly ever sat though a game of NBA or NFL and thought geez how annoying is this ****wit. Yet with our footy or cricket about 95% of our games I think how s**t and annoying at least one of the commentators are.

Nathan Brown on 3AW is really good at play-by-play atm.

Ro Co isn't a "commentator" but he is awesome as far as the footy media goes, seems like a decent bloke too.

Instead in the AFL we have commentators tell us when players mark the ball on the logo (thanks) and back-patting each other with a "great call mate!" after a passage of play.
I don't mind Bruce so much. If you can iaugh off the homoerotic stuff he's generally okay. But the above is his absolute worst habit. "Great call Den"...when the ball is still in play ffs. It sounds patronising for starters, but even if you interpret it as genuine, why say it at all? Is his commentary so fantastic that you simply must air your appreciation? It's stupid and distracting.

The reeling off of the resumes of each ex-player commentator is just as cringeworthy. Dwayne is the worst when it comes to this. Just call the ******* game and save the back pats. No-one needs to hear for the umpteenth time how many goals Barry Hall kicked in his career. Except for maybe Barry himself.

pats. No-one needs to hear for the umpteenth time how many goals Barry Hall kicked in his career. Except for maybe Barry himself.
What I find laughable with Hall is how they almost joke about what he did to Staker on shows like LTs. The guy is a thick as s**t cowardly thug.

I miss mid-90's bruce, he was the best play by play caller in the business, peter landy was a close second IMO

Huddo is the clear best caller out there now

The Best

Play by Play : Huddo, Cometti, Quartermain and Papalia

Special Comments: Dunstall

Bruce would be good if he just called the game instead of becoming a homoerotic self parody.

The Worst:

Play by Play: Hamish, Basil,

Special Comments: Derm, Alastair Lynch, Tony Shaw, Ling and of all time Robert Walls

And for those who have just joined us Dwayne Russell is honestly the worst of all time and I reckon would just be a s**t bloke. Oooooo Baby!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think he was not so good in the late 90's and early 2000's before channel 7 lost the rights?
He was good right up until they lost the rights in 2001 IMO. He and Sandy Roberts as a duo back then were just about as good as it'll ever get.

It's a shame he's turned into just an average commentator since then. Still has moments, but by and large is pretty underwhelming.

Anthony Hudson is the best commentator by a mile

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Does Quartermaine still commentate on one of the radio stations? He was alright on ch10 back in the day

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You actually like Eddie after that maniacal barracking performance against your mob when Carlton beat you??

if you're talking about last years game the umpiring was so bad coupled with our fall from playing top footy that i don't remember that and wouldn't have noticed, eddie is eddie i know what he is, he's still a great caller!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back