What could have been - Team names

Remove this Banner Ad

BTs Nana

All Australian
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just reading a book about the Crows and found out that the original proposal was for the team to be called the Sharks but was deemed unavailable.

Other options considered included Giants, Falcons, Lakers, Rams and Crows with obviously Crows getting up.

I had no idea that Crows wasn't first pick.

I'm familiar with Fitzroy being the Reds, Gorillas and Lions.

Any other clubs have other names they were once considering?

Last edited:
Geelong were the Pivotonians up until 1925ish, after some tale of a black cat turning up at a 3 quarter time huddle, leading to Cats name being adopted.

Just reading a book about the Crows and found out that the original proposal was for the team to be called the Sharks but was deemed unavailable.

Other options considered included Giants, Falcons, Lakers, Rams and Crows with obviously Crows getting up.

I had no idea that Crows wasn't first pick.

I'm familiar with Fitzroy being the Reds, Gorillas and Lions.

Any other clubs have other names they were once considering?
Pretty sure Fitzroy were the Maroons not the Reds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon - Blood Stained N*****s also once known as "The Same Olds" as a previous club song was "The Same Old Essendon"
Fitzroy -The Maroons as well as The Gorillas
Footscray - The Tricolours
Geelong - The Pivotonians
Hawthorn - The Mayblooms
Melbourne - The Redlegs (sometimes shortened to The Reds) as well as The Fuschias
North Melb - The Shinboners
Richmond - The Yellow and Black Angels and The Wasps
South Melb - The Blood Stained Angels
St Kilda - The Seasiders and sometimes The Seagulls

Essendon - Blood Stained N*****s also once known as "The Same Olds" as a previous club song was "The Same Old Essendon"
Fitzroy -The Maroons as well as The Gorillas
Footscray - The Tricolours
Geelong - The Pivotonians
Hawthorn - The Mayblooms
Melbourne - The Redlegs (sometimes shortened to The Reds) as well as The Fuschias
North Melb - The Shinboners
Richmond - The Yellow and Black Angels and The Wasps
South Melb - The Blood Stained Angels
St Kilda - The Seasiders and sometimes The Seagulls
Only just realised how badly we need a 'Gorillas' in the AFL or any sport for that matter.

According to the Australian Trade Mark Register, (Fremantle) Dockers was selected amongst:
  • Courage
  • Hammers (Zac Dawson endorsed this name, though preferred Fists)
  • Mariners
  • Stokers
  • Union
I really can't work out which of these I like more

Mariners would have been alright. Pretty similar Dockers and we wouldn't have had that ridiculous trademark dispute with Levis that actually stopped us being called the Dockers for the first 15 years.

Courage would have been pretty cringeworthy.

Would have liked to see the WA Liberals response to the Fremantle Union

There's a dirty lie that we were originally called 'The Mayblooms', but that's impossible considering we didn't exist before 1961 ;)

Mariners would have been alright. Pretty similar Dockers and we wouldn't have had that ridiculous trademark dispute with Levis that actually stopped us being called the Dockers for the first 15 years.

Courage would have been pretty cringeworthy.

Would have liked to see the WA Liberals response to the Fremantle Union

Reckon Mariners would have been better than Dockers but its not like Dockers is that bad. Pretty used to it. Same with the Power, remember a fair bit of slack for it here in Adelaide when it was announced but its fine now that everyones is used to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back