Society & Culture What day do YOU consider being the first day of the week?

What is the first day of the week?

• Sunday

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Monday

Votes: 39 72.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait a minute , the sun rises and sets everyday? So at least we have days, as for weeks well, footy was always played Saturday afternoon, next, rest up at the secret beer fest a pleasant Sunday Morning , then play Sunday league reasonably lubricated, so its got to be Monday 1st day.

And now months? Not sure on that??
Well every September is Grand Final, so there's the year in time, we divide that up into 12 groups, thats months, and as far as time in ancient history well the VFL/AFL is 150 years old or a bit more , so the world is exactly 150 years old, or as old as the first game!

As for the conceptual world, well there's your answer here, pure sports science.
As you would understand.

Human convention demands a football season, so the creator created the first day for that reason , 150 years ago it must have been a Saturday!! There's some science for you.

Dude....The sun doesn't 'Rise' or 'Set' at all.....What kind of man-made, human arbitrary madness is this?

We exist on a spherical rock that rotates both on it's own axis & in an elliptical orbit around a burning star we call the sun.....It is those 2 factors alone that cause this spherical rock we refer to as 'Earth', to be spinning both into & out of the suns rays.....'Rising' & 'Setting' ….Pffft….What kind of human sensory projected nonsense is this?

Next you'll be telling me the earth is flat from our perspective also.....Dear Oh.;)

And as for your Month-Smunth nonsense, the Julian Calendar is as much of an arbitrary human social convention, as any other made-up system of measurement, for the number of rotations it takes the Earth for a full sun orbit.....Why not 10 months 0f 36 days each, with the occasional 37 thrown in for good measure?....s**t, I'll even make up the month names myself.

Or here's a 'crazy' whacky idea....Lets preface the calendar upon the 'Moon'.....Wow....Just what kind of lunacy is that aye?

I mean, 13 cycles of 28 days is pretty damned near perfect, init!....And it'll also then be in sync & harmony with that of the human body-clock....Ho-ho-ho....Mind -blown there sport.

So 7 days of 4 weeks divided into 13 months.....I think we're onto something here old chap.

And as to the first day of the week.....Every day you get up is the first & last day of that week.....And you know why?.....Because all there ever is, is the eternal present....Ah Geez....I'm gunna have to go & have a lie down contemplating that one.:rainbow:

I distinctly remember being in Reception at school and being taught that Sunday was actually the first day of the week, not Monday. As a primary school kid I was already in a routine of starting my 'work' of school on Monday and my dad finally getting his day off on Sunday as a family day to cap it off.

I thought, 'What is this bullshit? Why on earth would Sunday be the first day?' (translating 6-year-old thoughts into adult English). Have never accepted it since.

It can make sense to say that the traditional working week starts on Saturday with two days of rest. It can make sense to say that the week starts with five days of work and ends with a reward of two days' rest. But it doesn't make any sense to say that the week begins in the middle of the rest period.

What harm is done by calling Monday the first day of the week? What good is done by calling Sunday the first day of the week?

Last edited:
Monday, obviously.

We are a secular society not a religious one, rightly or wrongly, society is based on school and employment not religion.

Saturday and Sunday should go together. Sunday to Saturday calendars are a joke and I will never buy one.

More importantly, I adhere to ISO 8601: https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/days/

Depends on which day you consider the 7th day
Good point. Some people may find it easier to answer which day is the last day of the week rather than which day is the first.

Sure it''s pretty much the same thing but some people might pause at one question but have an immediate response to the other.

100% Monday.

I'm not a pagan but the 7th day of the week, in Roman being day of the sun, is meant to be rest. Where the week-calendar system was created. The day of the sun therein being 'Sunday'
If that's the 7th day, Monday is the 1st.

Christians call Sunday the first day, but Christianity came after the standard week was made.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back