Prediction What deals don't get done?

Remove this Banner Ad

By the Monday night last year of week two, deals had been done for the following:

Mitch McGovern, Hannebery, Polec, Pittard, Hickey, Rohan, Ryan Clarke, Lincoln McCarthy, Corey Ellis, Anthony Miles, Kent, Preuss, Hannebery, Tyson, Setterfield and Sam Lloyd.

This year we've had:

Betts, Frost, Langdon, Kelly.

The shift in attitude to getting deals done early this year is significant.
By my count, 21 players traded and 10 free agents signed by this time last year, with another 17 players traded in the last day and half. 6 free agents and 5 trades so far this year. Could break some kind of record tomorrow, or maybe everyone just stays put? :shrug:

I suspect we may need to change the thread title to "what deals do get done?" at this rate.

24 hour warning update
So we're waiting on:

Alex Keath
Josh Jenkins
Riley Knight
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Andrew Phillips
James Aish
Joe Daniher
Bradley Hill
Zac Smith
Callum Ah Chee
Jack Martin
Aidan Bonar
Marc Pittonet
Sam Gray
Dan Butler
Connor Menadue
Jack Steven
Josh Bruce
Blake Acres
Tom Papley
Zak Jones

There's also Nick Robertson, Rupert Wills and Kamdyn McIntosh who have also been linked to the exit but nothing concrete at all there. Sam Murray and Harley Bennell won't happen this period. Brad Crouch and Ollie Wines I think you can rule out, same with Powell-Pepper, Brayshaw and a few others who were linked to the exit early doors but haven't really pushed for it.

I'm pretty confident most of those get done. I think Daniher is no better than 50/50 to leave whereas Papley is probably a 70/30 or so. Meanwhile Jenkins still doesn't have a suitor whereas it sounds like the Knight, Menadue and Gray talk has cooled off. Will be interested to see whether Essendon can balance both Cutler and Bonar coming in, especially given neither seem 100% secure.

Anyone I'm forgetting? I could see Sam Reid as Daniher bait but that isn't too likely.

Quite a lot of deals still to go! Lots of smaller ones though.

Last edited:
By my count, 21 players traded and 10 free agents signed by this time last year, with another 17 players traded in the last day and half. 6 free agents and 5 trades so far this year. Could break some kind of record tomorrow, or maybe everyone just stays put? :shrug:

I suspect we may need to change the thread title to "what deals do get done?" at this rate.
Just the 5 trades compared to 21 last year

Geez, really holding off until the primetime trade show starts...

Just the 5 trades compared to 21 last year

Geez, really holding off until the primetime trade show starts...
Just to update it to t-24, we're now at 13 trades involving 12 players. Last year we were at 21 players traded by this stage of the game.

Article I found from a couple of weeks ago said potentially 41 players looking for new homes this year, compared to the 38 that did actually find a home last year.

Any that don't make it can still move as a delisted free agent when that opens, if they're out of contract and their club delists them (delisting yourself doesn't count). Contracted players can theoretically be delisted too but they have to be paid out which makes it less likely.

Probably why they've extended the trade dead-line this year to 7.30 pm....For the high audience participation ratings.

Last year's cut-off was what ?....2pm?.....Something like that from memory.

IIRC deadline day was extended last year to make it a big event for Fox Sports. 2pm is the historical cutoff though.

Probably why they've extended the trade dead-line this year to 7.30 pm....For the high audience participation ratings.

It was later already last year. Shiel, Colyer and Beams were the last ones added to our completed trades thread, though that wasn't updated until 8-8.30 I think because we didn't know the exact details of it for a while afterwards. The year before was 2.30 cut-off, the last few to go through were Ablett, Cameron, Schache, Weller. And O'Meara and associated trades went through a minute before the deadline the year before, I think that was a 2pm cut-off? Maybe 2.30.

So we're waiting on:

Alex Keath
Josh Jenkins
Riley Knight
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Andrew Phillips
James Aish
Joe Daniher
Bradley Hill
Zac Smith
Callum Ah Chee
Aidan Bonar
Marc Pittonet
Sam Gray
Dan Butler
Connor Menadue
Jack Steven
Josh Bruce
Blake Acres
Tom Papley
Zak Jones

There's also Nick Robertson, Rupert Wills and Kamdyn McIntosh who have also been linked to the exit but nothing concrete at all there. Sam Murray and Harley Bennell won't happen this period. Brad Crouch and Ollie Wines I think you can rule out, same with Powell-Pepper, Brayshaw and a few others who were linked to the exit early doors but haven't really pushed for it.

I'm pretty confident most of those get done. I think Daniher is no better than 50/50 to leave whereas Papley is probably a 70/30 or so. Meanwhile Jenkins still doesn't have a suitor whereas it sounds like the Knight, Menadue and Gray talk has cooled off. Will be interested to see whether Essendon can balance both Cutler and Bonar coming in, especially given neither seem 100% secure.

Anyone I'm forgetting? I could see Sam Reid as Daniher bait but that isn't too likely.

Quite a lot of deals still to go! Lots of smaller ones though.

You missed Martin.

I reckon you're right though....That most of those get done....Just hoping that your mob hold their nerve & stick to 5 & 25, which is already overs for an injury plagued Daniher….Call Dodo's bluff I say.

Reckon P-Pepper is also Bombers bound.....Papley seems inevitable given the Swans look like acquiring Taylor as a replacement.....Hill also seems done, given the Acres & pick 10 scenario....Mostly all orchestrated from here on in you'd think.

The only real surprise could be in the realm of pick swaps, especially from the Giants.....Draft night itself should also make for interesting viewing on that score.

So we're waiting on:

Alex Keath
Josh Jenkins
Riley Knight
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Andrew Phillips
James Aish
Joe Daniher
Bradley Hill
Zac Smith
Callum Ah Chee
Jack Martin
Aidan Bonar
Marc Pittonet
Sam Gray
Dan Butler
Connor Menadue
Jack Steven
Josh Bruce
Blake Acres
Tom Papley

Riley Knight was at Nick's press conference today so I would assume he is staying.

Idea based on this thread last year, but in any case will be interested to see who this years Tim Kelly is.

If I had to pick something to watch, it's Daniher and Papley. I get the feeling Essendon might want too much for Daniher which nixes the deal and for Papley to be any chance of happening the former deal has to happen (furthermore Papley has four more years left on his deal which means that the Swans and Carlton's valuations could be way off)

O/P nailed it....Credit where credits due.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back