What did Kane Cornes say on Footy Classifields last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mavs13

Senior List
Mar 31, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
When FC started last night, Kane Cornes said he had some news/ option on Buckley. Then they had trouble crossing to him. By the time they did, I feel asleep. What did he say? If anything.

My guess is nothing. Some work needs to be done to define the impact people talking on TV has on the environment by way of green house gas emissions. Based on that data I think we need to prioritise who gets to speak on TV. I put the Wiggles at the top of my list, Slobbo and Kornes at the bottom.

Cornes' opinion is that 2020 maybe the last chance for Buckley to win a flag with this playing group. Maybe right. Maybe wrong. But regardless of whether he does win that elusive flag, he will be extended beyond 2021. I suspect he would have been extended in any event however the recent and ongoing uncertainty surrounding the AFL almost makes it a fait accompli that he will be extended. In fact not almost, absolutely.

74bc7c030972902c041dcf921ec4af18.jpg

The “Your internet connection is unstable” message appears perfectly over his mouth when he reached his BS limit!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

When FC started last night, Kane Cornes said he had some news/ option on Buckley. Then they had trouble crossing to him. By the time they did, I feel asleep. What did he say? If anything.

He said the circumference of his head.. is the size of the equator.

Who cares?

Cornes' opinion is that 2020 maybe the last chance for Buckley to win a flag with this playing group. Maybe right. Maybe wrong. But regardless of whether he does win that elusive flag, he will be extended beyond 2021. I suspect he would have been extended in any event however the recent and ongoing uncertainty surrounding the AFL almost makes it a fait accompli that he will be extended. In fact not almost, absolutely.

How do you know with such certainty that Buck’s contract will be extended beyond 2021?

Very strange unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please! If Buckley wants to continue, the job is his beyond 2021. Time will confirm this.

How do you know this? I would understand Bucks continuing into 2021, given the circumstances, but beyond that is simply not knowable. You want to bag the club for something that hasn’t even happened yet!

It is a pretty reasonable view in my opinion.

I agree that our list is on the older side of a contending club (e.g just starting to move from 12 to 1 on the clock). I think if we don't win this year, we maybe have next year at best before our window shuts with this group and we need to recast ourselves. It just shows how important it is to capitalise when there is a chance, and we have blown two chances in two years (granted we probably wouldn't have beaten the Tigers last year).

The issue for us is our younger end is heavily speculative and unknown.

We used 4 first rounders between Beams and Treloar. That's a lot. Add two second rounders for Aish and we expended a heck of a lot of higher end currency for basically one good but not great mid. The kids we could have picked up from those picks should be amongst our shining lights for the future now but we went a different path.

Because of that we had less to work with and were forced into on average more speculative prospects either low in the draft or cat b rookies, or rely heavily on father son and academy pickups where outright draft position was less of a factor. Many of these had less exposed form in underage to base any judgement on.

As a final problem, too many of these youngsters got Collingwood injuries. Murphy, Kelly, Sier, Quaynor have all had longer term problems of one sort or another. We've barely seen Murphy and Kelly on the park.

The end result is we have a bunch of unknowns still to be blunt. They may be talented as all get out but it's hard to tell and not being more traditional top 20 prospects in the main, it's an act of faith to expect a lot without more consistent exposed form.

The lack of a vfl at all this year is a serious blow for us. The likes of Keane, Atu, Tohill, Kelly, Murphy, Quaynor, Wilson really really needed regular games to develop.

All very reasonable but how is it any different for any club pushing the pointy end? GWS aside of course as they've already got a plethora of top 10/1st round developing talent and an ongoing feed of top 10/1st round picks into their foreseeable future.

reports are filtering in you are not alone here - 67,983 others completed an online survey admitting the same - Cornes is an Adelaide phenomenon - very strange indeed - anyone who goes to the Rundle Mall for something to do has issues...

How do you know this? I would understand Bucks continuing into 2021, given the circumstances, but beyond that is simply not knowable. You want to bag the club for something that hasn’t even happened yet!

I don't know this. Let me rephrase it. If Buckley wants to continue, the job is most likely his beyond 2021. Why?

(i) McGuire will underwrite his extension as he has done in the past. That is borderline a fait accompli.
(ii) In extending Buckley, McGuire will strongly argue that more than ever, stability of club is critical. And to be honest, Buckley is a well respected individual who is the perfect front man for a club in the current climate and moving forward into the brave new world.

With the changing landscape of the AFL, should the Pies not win the flag in the next 2 years, this will not work against him as it might have prior to the current crisis.

reports are filtering in you are not alone here - 67,983 others completed an online survey admitting the same - Cornes is an Adelaide phenomenon - very strange indeed - anyone who goes to the Rundle Mall for something to do has issues...
Particularly in the social distancing climate.

Then again, never an excuse needed to distance from junior Cornes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back