Food, Drink & Dining Out What did you cook for dinner last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh I’m a bit of a pickler myself, here’s some of my stuff. Chillies, peppers, sun dried tomatoes, pesto and some Vietnamese pickles. Everything grown myself.

View attachment 887726

View attachment 887723
View attachment 887724
View attachment 887725
Another good trick if you want stuffed peppers during the year is cut the ends off and de-seed then freeze them .
You stuff them while frozen and then cook
Tomatoes freeze well too
Defrost by plunging in water for a few seconds and that lets you peel them easily

What does confit mean exactly
Dry marinate them overnight and cook them in duck fat low and slow the next day
I do it sous vide
iu

It preserves them
You then brown them and cook some potatoes in the fat and make a salad or some veg on the side
iu

That jelly become a jus its delicious

$14 duck becomes 2 meals for 2
You could make a soup with bones and do 3
Ive tried it but didnt love the soup if anyone has a good recipe I will give it another go

The fat saved from roasting the carcass and after you cook the leg gets used for other potatoes later
Usually gets frozen and saved for roast potatoes at Xmas

Last edited:
Dry marinate them overnight and cook them in duck fat low and slow the next day
I do it sous vide
iu

It preserves them
You then brown them and cook some potatoes in the fat and make a salad or some veg on the side
iu

That jelly become a jus its delicious

$14 duck becomes 2 meals for 2
You could make a soup with bones and do 3
Ive tried it but didnt love the soup if anyone has a good recipe I will give it another go

The fat saved from roasting the carcass and after you cook the leg gets used for other potatoes later
Usually gets frozen and saved for roast potatoes at Xmas
I like duck but only ever had it roasted by my bro-in-law in his weber...no one else can cook duck like him. This looks good, I might hit him up when we go to his farm.

I like duck but only ever had it roasted by my bro-in-law in his weber...no one else can cook duck like him. This looks good, I might hit him up when we go to his farm.
The leg is better than the breast when done this way and its pretty easy
Ive just fridged it after having it simmering for a few hours in the bag ...no mess real easy

Freofalcon baking today, still not allowed to visit my mama but I can drop her off a plate of her favourite Croatian bikkies, normally plum jam (Provdl) is used but she loves them with rosehip jam too.

E9CC370D-23B5-489E-9DD1-C686BC93BBC6.jpeg

The leg is better than the breast when done this way and its pretty easy
Ive just fridged it after having it simmering for a few hours in the bag ...no mess real easy
I prefer leg to breast, I like the juicier bone meat. I will tag you here when I’m gonna do it for tips, will be in July.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freofalcon baking today, still not allowed to visit my mama but I can drop her off a plate of her favourite Croatian bikkies, normally plum jam (Provdl) is used but she loves them with rosehip jam too.

View attachment 888613
Our family makes these also with plum, we're Ukrainien so they could be easten European?

View attachment 888613
Do you make Fritule & Kroštule? My Baba used to make these all the time. I used to gorge myself on them. I was the only 80kg 5 year old in WA.

Do you make Fritule & Kroštule? My Baba used to make these all the time. I used to gorge myself on them. I was the only 80kg 5 year old in WA.
Haha yes I make fritule but we call them krafne (donuts) and everyone makes krostule in the family except me but I love eting them.
My fav is knedle...glory be so good. I use apricots from the garden and this year I’ll have plums for knedle too.

B66425BD-2C93-4CF6-A25A-16E9EDBFFD6D.jpeg

thats the only photo I could find on my FB page but now I want them!

Haha yes I make fritule but we call them krafne (donuts) and everyone makes krostule in the family except me but I love eting them.
My fav is knedle...glory be so good. I use apricots from the garden and this year I’ll have plums for knedle too.

View attachment 889173

Just googled them a fruit filled gnocchi that can be crumbed and fried too....wow sounds delicious,Ive only had the regular doughnuts with plum jam

View attachment 889173

Krafne. Haven’t heard that one before. We also call them pušarata.

Looks good
are they yellow beans?
I just planted a whole lot last week along with my banana chillies
Yes mate, butter beans. My beans are finished and I’m resting my garden now for winter so I bought them from a continental grocer. I prefer these in mahune.

I did fish pie today
Turned it into a veg feast, one pot wonder
Added green beans,peas,corn, carrots and leeks to the white sauce and a splash of pernod
Topped it with thin mandolined potatoes
bit like this
iu

Remove this Banner Ad

Back