What did you think about the 2018 GF parade?

Your opinion on the 2018 GF parade

• Fantastic, loved it

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Meh, it was so so

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Well below expectations

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not proposing they get rid of it entirely (though I personally don't think I'd miss it greatly), but I went today and just felt pretty underwhelmed. Been a few times before since moving here, but i dunno, the atmosphere seemed a little muted today. We get to see the players up close during games instead of their tiny distant heads among hoards of people, just felt I probably shouldn't have bothered turning up..otoh I guess it adds to the build up, and fans enjoy it, but I know some players find it an unnecessary distraction/inconvenience over the build up. I know they have stuff on at the AFL Live site, but there should be more stuff in the parade itself. Not expecting Moomba but a few other things aside from marching bands (not that they're bad). No doubt Fox Footy benefits a lot from i5. But yeah, even if we turn up probably won't bother turning up. Just an opinion I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decided to stay home and watch it on TV this year.

I've been twice. Went in 2010 where it used to end at the Old Treasury Building and went in 2016 with my brother who's a Dogs fan.

I think it's a little overrated and the waiting around doesn't justify the hype. The wet weather didn't help though.

Definitely had more atmosphere before they turned the day into a public holiday in 2015.

To be fair, pretty sure the parade is catered towards kids and not people born in 1986.
This, it's a thing to do if you have kids up to the age of like 10, not sure what your expecting to get out of it as an adult male watching other men drive by standing in the back of toe truck or whatever it is they use

Decided to stay home and watch it on TV this year.

I've been twice. Went in 2010 where it used to end at the Old Treasury Building and went in 2016 with my brother who's a Dogs fan.

I think it's a little overrated and the waiting around doesn't justify the hype. The wet weather didn't help though.

Definitely had more atmosphere before they turned the day into a public holiday in 2015.

Yeah the public holiday seems kinda odd really. I love footy but to make a public holiday before the gf? WA and SA should have it too then to help interstate supporters. Won't be of much benefit to most Melburnians aside from the parade.

Some pretty odd looking kids then haha. Many oldies without kids out there.
Missed the point completely. I said it was catered towards kids, didn't say only kids rocked up.

You bring shame to Perth on so many threads and am truly thankful you are a Wet Toast fan. Back luck tomorrow, hope American Pie kicks 6 on you lot and carn the pies.

The most recent one I’ve been to was 2006, definitely agree it was better when it went through the city, 2 interstate teams that year and the parade blew me away. Was a bit of a tradition that office workers would head out during the lunch break or just be allowed to attend part of it anyway, had a much better vibe.

Yeah the public holiday seems kinda odd really. I love footy but to make a public holiday before the gf? WA and SA should have it too then to help interstate supporters. Won't be of much benefit to most Melburnians aside from the parade.
I should also add that those who miss out on tickets often go to the parade to feel a part of the week and the atmosphere.

If you have young children, it can be a fun experience for them as well.

Back