List Mgmt. What Do We Need to Make Finals in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with just playing guys in their natural positions?

With the way Hayden Young zones off, intercepts and drives the ball forward from the half-back flank I have no idea why we'd not use him there.

He's starting there in the best 22 whenever he's fit for me.

As for Logue I imagine he'll be in the 22 as a 3rd KPD as well. If Cox becomes the depth that's not a horrible outcome; good teams will have good players in the magoos because they can't fit everyone into a side and so long as Cox is willing to wait for injuries or a spot to open in the side for him it's not a huge problem.

Nothing wrong with Young or Logue in defence. The problem is that neither of them played significant roles this season, and Pearce and Hamling will be back. Walker looks all but ready to debut as well.

If you are managing our list it is way out of whack taking 4 players out of a well performed backline and playing them in the wafl because you think they should only play in the position they played as juniors.

Nothing wrong with Young or Logue in defence. The problem is that neither of them played significant roles this season, and Pearce and Hamling will be back. Walker looks all but ready to debut as well.

If you are managing our list it is way out of whack taking 4 players out of a well performed backline and playing them in the wafl because you think they should only play in the position they played as juniors.

Logue and Young didn't play significant roles this season because of injury.

There's nothing wrong with having players who can play well when others are injured, but play WAFL the rest of the time. Good teams have those players.

I genuinely can't see how a coaching panel can justify moving Young away from his best position if he's better than the guy already playing it. For me he's one of our best HBFs and plays there unless he can't be selected at all, and Duman (or someone else) plays WAFL until he's needed or finds another position he can move to.

imo young should be starting his career at the very least down back before him moving onto a wing or in the mids is considered. for 2021 there’s a half back flank with his name written on it for me.

imo young should be starting his career at the very least down back before him moving onto a wing or in the mids is considered. for 2021 there’s a half back flank with his name written on it for me.
Yeah, at least 2-3 seasons at the back before exploring having him around the ball. Has superb agility, awareness and that boot forward of centre will make even spud forwards look amazing. If it doesn't work, put him back to half back.

Last edited:
Logue and Young didn't play significant roles this season because of injury.

There's nothing wrong with having players who can play well when others are injured, but play WAFL the rest of the time. Good teams have those players.

I genuinely can't see how a coaching panel can justify moving Young away from his best position if he's better than the guy already playing it. For me he's one of our best HBFs and plays there unless he can't be selected at all, and Duman (or someone else) plays WAFL until he's needed or finds another position he can move to.
Thanks for the information that it was because of injury. The point is we have depth in that area of our list.

And how do you know what Young's best position is? His best position may be hbf but he has much more influence in the middle. Mundy moved in to the midfield and we became much better as a result. Young's pre-draft coach speculated that he could play midfield. That was partly due to a well stocked backline with talented players to spare.

Many talented half back flankers are more than capable of transition to the midfield though. The skill sets are similar.

Before we start playing around with the positions of our young players I firstly want to see:
(a) whether our ball movement from the backline improves when both Ryan is freed up more with KPDs returning and Young is injected into it?
(b) whether our mid-fwd connection improves when Sturt slots in to our forward line, Henry gets a pre-season under his belt and Hogan continues to settle in?

I'd predict if we sort out those two connections points (being able to coach across lines should help a lot) we'll score more freely and therefore our current midfield (including the wingers) will look a lot better quickly. It's what happened with WC's mids once they got the transition working well. One minute everyone is saying they are arguably the worst midfield in the comp and then suddenly they are all superstars. Their elite backline and well structured forward line makes their midfield look better than it is imo. It's probably also why they can be missing pieces and their system still gets them wins. We could add some speed to ours but it's not like they have a midfield chock full of speedsters, especially on the outside.

Before we start playing around with the positions of our young players I firstly want to see:
(a) whether our ball movement from the backline improves when both Ryan is freed up more with KPDs returning and Young is injected into it?
(b) whether our mid-fwd connection improves when Sturt slots in to our forward line, Henry gets a pre-season under his belt and Hogan continues to settle in?

I'd predict if we sort out those two connections points (being able to coach across lines should help a lot) we'll score more freely and therefore our current midfield (including the wingers) will look a lot better quickly. It's what happened with WC's mids once they got the transition working well. One minute everyone is saying they are arguably the worst midfield in the comp and then suddenly they are all superstars. Their elite backline and well structured forward line makes their midfield look better than it is imo. It's probably also why they can be missing pieces and their system still gets them wins. We could add some speed to ours but it's not like they have a midfield chock full of speedsters, especially on the outside.
Modern footy is intercept, turnover, rebound turning defence into attack, the days of winning GF's with midfield clearances was over after
2012, 2016 an exception.
Ball retention, run and carry, and good key positions, spine, defensively Freo look to be top8 easily.
Forward line is our Achilles, sure Sturt looks exciting, Tabs a positive, Walters has a good track record.
But big doubts on Lobb, Hogan, and developing talls to cover injury.
WC have KP depth, losing NN in 2018 and they were still flying, midfielders can be plug and play straight
away. KP's take some time.

Add a quality small forward to our side with pace and we are a top 8 side. Only other glaring weakness is the wing position.

Adding a great two way runner with good skills would make a big difference. Hopefully walker or western can fill the wing role.

Modern footy is intercept, turnover, rebound turning defence into attack, the days of winning GF's with midfield clearances was over after
2012, 2016 an exception.
Ball retention, run and carry, and good key positions, spine, defensively Freo look to be top8 easily.
Forward line is our Achilles, sure Sturt looks exciting, Tabs a positive, Walters has a good track record.
But big doubts on Lobb, Hogan, and developing talls to cover injury.
WC have KP depth, losing NN in 2018 and they were still flying, midfielders can be plug and play straight
away. KP's take some time.

I dont think the forwardline is as bad as most people think.

We finally got a full season of Taberner. 26 goals and 12 behinds from 16 games looks solid.

If its somehow a 22 game season next year. Imagine getting 20 games each from Tabs, Hogan and Lobb.

Hell, even if Hogan plays half a season, Tabs, Lobb and Cox looks like a good tall combo up forward.

Welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen. My name’s Captain Obvious, and I’d like to welcome you board Flight FD2021 to September. If all goes well, we should arrive in approximately 9-10 months. We are expecting some turbulence along the way, just how much we can’t be certain at this stage. We are hopeful this won’t set the journey back a further 12 months. In case of any injuries to key players or the glaring issue of not having enough KPFs, an oxygen mask will drop down to help with any hyperventilation caused from stress and frustration.
Thanks for choosing to fly with Freo. We wish you a pleasant and comfortable journey, although we do understand from past journeys that this is more based on hope than expectation.

Welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen. My name’s Captain Obvious, and I’d like to welcome you board Flight FD2021 to September. If all goes well, we should arrive in approximately 9-10 months. We are expecting some turbulence along the way, just how much we can’t be certain at this stage. We are hopeful this won’t set the journey back a further 12 months. In case of any injuries to key players or the glaring issue of not having enough KPFs, an oxygen mask will drop down to help with any hyperventilation caused from stress and frustration.
Thanks for choosing to fly with Freo. We wish you a pleasant and comfortable journey, although we do understand from past journeys that this is more based on hope than expectation.

I heard your frequent flyer program is underwhelming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like I'm in the aisle seat on one of those scenic flights where you know there's something exciting happening down there but all you eperience is a glimpse out of the window if you crane your neck.

I heard your frequent flyer program is underwhelming.
Well we certainly rack up the air miles at Freo, but unfortunately the rewards program is based on what you order rather than what you receive.

Our number one KPI is that our clients continue to bleat that it is unacceptable to accept mediocrity.

I feel like I'm in the aisle seat on one of those scenic flights where you know there's something exciting happening down there but all you eperience is a glimpse out of the window if you crane your neck.
I've definitely been stuck in an economy middle seat. The long haul flight has been mostly uncomfortable sitting between the guy who 'thinks' they're smart and doesn't shut up (the WC media) and the guy who really needs 1.5 seats to themselves and farts constantly (WC fans). But with a gun new pilot (JLo) and some fresh co-pilots (Carr/Boyd/Corey) I still hold out hope it will be worth the severe lack of blood circulating through my legs once we finally get to the destination. Pity the ******* map in the inflight entertainment is broken and won't tell me how long is left until we touch down. It felt like we almost landed a while back but the old pilots misjudged the runway and had to pull up so we could try again. The descent was exciting though.

What they serve onboard these days has improved (not just the same old and crusty meal plan) but the dessert (ability to score) has been fairly consistently disappointing for most of the trip. But like an idiot I just keep forking out (membership) and live off the snacks (good wins).

The biggest frustration throughout has been being seated too close to the toilets and having to listen to way too much diarrhea (off field indiscretions) mostly because they've gone too hard with the alcohol (expensive trade ins) thinking it will fix things and not considering the potential consequences when it doesn't. In fairness the airline management has vowed to make better choices in future and seem to have us heading in the right direction. I've sweet talked the hostess to shift me into a more relaxed premium economy seat ahead of an expected upcoming finals descent but understanding there'll still be more turbulence ahead. The former pilot warned us by putting on the seatbelt sign (via Twitter).

Not hearing that non-stop crying baby any more is a relief (tuned out to crumpets/6PR). I've also learnt to block out those handful of whiny fellow passengers in the cabin who complain about absolutely every detail without stopping to look out the window to get some perspective. If they wanted an easy journey they should have joined those a-holes up in first class (a bunch of other clubs) that get everything served up to them on a silver platter. Our seats are cheaper and not nearly as comfortable but the celebrations will be immense when we arrive. Or else we'll die onboard and nobody will notice.

This explains why I have 35 overpriced airport beers every time I fly with you.

Back in the day, a mate who worked for Ansett took great pleasure in telling me about the time Gerard Neesham went off-tap on a flight because the same movies were on the flight back as were on the flight to a game. He also went bananas because there were meat-only dishes available on a flight on Good Friday once - "Half the team are Catholics, * it!"

We will never know that innocence again.

I am very confident that we will nudge the finals in 2021. You always have to think about who is coming out to make way for those coming in and Collingwood, St Kilda and the Dogs are most vulnerable. So Pies out and one of us, Carlton or Melbourne in.

I am very happy with the young fellas we have. We really do need more goals though and especially from the midfield.

Add a quality small forward to our side with pace and we are a top 8 side. Only other glaring weakness is the wing position.

Adding a great two way runner with good skills would make a big difference. Hopefully walker or western can fill the wing role.
I don't the wing position isn't too bad at the moment.

Sure we lost Ed Langdon and Brad hill in trades in recent years. But having guys like Walters, Aish, Young, Henry, an ageing Stephen Hill even someone that can play both inside and outside like Adam Cerra isn't too bad choices on the wings

I don't the wing position isn't too bad at the moment.

Sure we lost Ed Langdon and Brad hill in trades in recent years. But having guys like Walters, Aish, Young, Henry, an ageing Stephen Hill even someone that can play both inside and outside like Adam Cerra isn't too bad choices on the wings
Not one of those players is a natural winger. Not one could replace Bewley as the fat side winger.

Last edited:
Freomaniac posted on the Richmond board, so I'll post one here.

I started a Richmond thread about what opposition scenarios would people like to see in 2021?

Mine was Freo to finish 8th and knock out Fifth Coast.

Really would love to see that.

What's more, it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

I started a Richmond thread about what opposition scenarios would people like to see in 2021?

I reckon that's almost perfect except that we will be 5th and they will be 8th!

When people mention terrible Richmond supporters on BigFooty I'll always remember this post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back