TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
2022 is basically fitness/injuries.

A long term injury to any one of Tabs, Lobb or Treacy basically cooks us. Darcy too. Sturt not being able to develop probably makes the above worse.

Longer term if the club continues not to value forwards of every size who can kick goals then we will not make finals.

go_the_dockers

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
We have finished, effectively, equal 9th and improved on last year. Still work to do but we are on the right track.
When do you think we will make the top 4?

I can't see it with our current list, at best we will just scrape into finals for a few years until Fyfe, Walters and Mundy retire and then drop back down again.
We have no class in our forward half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’m not fussed about finals next year if we stay strong and address our weaknesses through the draft

We’ll be stronger for longer next year

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Ok, who's nicked Tony's iPad?

Agreed though. Drafting forward talent this year is critical.

BigAlpha3

Senior List
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we lose Cerra and Lobb for instance next year will be tough and I’d personally invest heavily in the draft over the next 3 years while simultaneously blooding the youngsters to filter out the spuds.. I could see a trajectory similar to this albeit slightly optimistic that should be attempted to be met

2022 - 7 wins 91% (14th) Losses of Cerra and Lobb limit quality in the side (We can’t put on good scores without Lobb apart from one amazing quarter)
2023 - 13 wins 104% (6th - Semi Final Loss) Younger players take a huge leap, hopefully get a look at a quality young forward-line that would likely be very inconsistent and Fyfe and Walters etc. find close to their best form once again ala. Mundy
2024 - 15 wins 120% (4th- Prelim Loss) Players recruited at start of rebuild are in prime age. 2021, 2022 draft picks start to really hit their straps providing forward quality. Last year of Fyfe, Walters
2025 - 16 wins 138% (3rd- Prelim Loss) genuine premiership contender, Best young players at this stage all have years of experience behind them
2026 - 17-18 wins 140% (1st - Premiership)

That is the most optimistic of outcomes for where I think we are and around about 5 years away from having a really good sniff at winning a flag IF the club makes some smart list management/coaching/board decisions that can complement the existing core of younger players like Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy etc.

muckypup

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2009
on the grassy banks with a coldie
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The WACA's
When do you think we will make the top 4?

I can't see it with our current list, at best we will just scrape into finals for a few years until Fyfe, Walters and Mundy retire and then drop back down again.
We have no class in our forward half.
No one can answer that. Tick every box on your wishlist and tell me, in that scenario, when we would make top 4.

eastfreo75

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Big indicator is percentage and we sit 14th.

If Cerra is out the door, I will think we end around the same amount wins with a slightly better percentage.

If West Coast is on the decline that may help.

Injury management is still an issue and certain players kept getting injured.

If Cerra moves, then we have lost B Hill, Langdon, and Neale. You can’t go up the ladder when you lose quality players every two years or less.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keyforwards (and a medium/smalls, who kicks goals would help as well, but perhaps Henry, Sturt, Frederick and a fit Walters can fill that void) and more midfield class. Midfield drops away too quickly after started 18 while it is likely we will always miss a player or two even when we do ok with injuries.

Apart from that we need better goalkicking and more 4 quarter efforts. From memory we had way too much goalless or near goalless quarters. Even the recent derby: 4.5 in 3 quarters is close in inaceptable and will win few games of footy.

wakojako

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keyforwards (and a medium/smalls, who kicks goals would help as well, but perhaps Henry, Sturt, Frederick and a fit Walters can fill that void) and more midfield class. Midfield drops away too quickly after started 18 while it is likely we will always miss a player or two even when we do ok with injuries.

Apart from that we need better goalkicking and more 4 quarter efforts. From memory we had way too much goalless or near goalless quarters. Even the recent derby: 4.5 in 3 quarters is close in inaceptable and will win few games of footy.
Henry and Freddy are best on the wing, Sturt can't get on the park, Walters cliff is approaching. Only genuine small forwards are Schultz and Switta who is also always injured. We need one KPF and one genuine small forward.

Pommie Docker

Senior List
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we lose Cerra and Lobb for instance next year will be tough and I’d personally invest heavily in the draft over the next 3 years while simultaneously blooding the youngsters to filter out the spuds.. I could see a trajectory similar to this albeit slightly optimistic that should be attempted to be met

2022 - 7 wins 91% (14th) Losses of Cerra and Lobb limit quality in the side (We can’t put on good scores without Lobb apart from one amazing quarter)
2023 - 13 wins 104% (6th - Semi Final Loss) Younger players take a huge leap, hopefully get a look at a quality young forward-line that would likely be very inconsistent and Fyfe and Walters etc. find close to their best form once again ala. Mundy
2024 - 15 wins 120% (4th- Prelim Loss) Players recruited at start of rebuild are in prime age. 2021, 2022 draft picks start to really hit their straps providing forward quality. Last year of Fyfe, Walters
2025 - 16 wins 138% (3rd- Prelim Loss) genuine premiership contender, Best young players at this stage all have years of experience behind them
2026 - 17-18 wins 140% (1st - Premiership)

That is the most optimistic of outcomes for where I think we are and around about 5 years away from having a really good sniff at winning a flag IF the club makes some smart list management/coaching/board decisions that can complement the existing core of younger players like Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy etc.
I think this a very realistic summary based on today. Probably two years away from finals and then give from a legit flag tilt.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok, who's nicked Tony's iPad?

Agreed though. Drafting forward talent this year is critical.
Haha , we’ll for all my negativity I’ve been pretty consistent that we need to balance up the list through the draft

Couple of ready made players would be OK if we have extra picks through losing players though

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Keep drafting half backs…
Seriously we need forwards. Go after Schache, Weideman, Jackson. Anyone. Don’t care. Missed out on Peter Wright, who kicked 11 goals vs Bulldogs and Collingwood. We lose Lobb and we’re a bag of mess

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad