List Mgmt. What Do We Need to Make Finals in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

We were ranked 18th for both goal kicking and pressure this season. I think if we were ranked top 8 for one and top 12 for the other we make finals in 2021 and easily.

Losing Cerra, assuming it happens, will hurt but the above is what can should be able to be changed by the current group of players have.

IMO we’re not too far off skill wise generally. The whole AFL isn’t great for skills at times. A few upgrades here and there sure but a bit behind other areas. What I must say though is Cerra will leave a hole, as will both Mundy and Walters.

We need to make sure our S&C team is in the best condition it has ever been in for next year, they've had a year now to get settled, there's zero excuses to have so many injuries again next year.

how many were soft tissue? Switta, Cerra had a calf Young (but his was in a hard tackle) Walters? Chapman, Freddy, Fyfe we’re all impact?

It's actually not that hard. At least 90% of our problems and failure is in the forward 50. We have no problem getting i50 often matching or winning the entries in losing games. Capitalise on this and we win most if not all games.

Tell me it's not that simple?

League average injuries and goal kicking and we make finals. It’s as simple as that really IMO. None of our players except for maybe Mundy will age further and be worse, almost all our players will age further and be better. Hell, 15% extra from Fyfe and Walters (and Walters has a lot more in him then what we got this year) and we make finals IMO.

Long long way from competing properly though

Last edited:
how many were soft tissue? Switta, Cerra had a calf Young (but his was in a hard tackle) Walters? Chapman, Freddy, Fyfe we’re all impact?
Reckon we had a significant amount of soft tissue injuries still. Just on the weekend we had like 4 players out with hamstring alone

League average injuries or goal kicking and we make finals
EFA - we cost ourselves 2 games (and a s**t ton of %) directly through horrendous goal kicking which would have been enough for us to come 7th even with the injuries.

If we lose Cerra and Lobb for instance next year will be tough and I’d personally invest heavily in the draft over the next 3 years while simultaneously blooding the youngsters to filter out the spuds.. I could see a trajectory similar to this albeit slightly optimistic that should be attempted to be met

2022 - 7 wins 91% (14th) Losses of Cerra and Lobb limit quality in the side (We can’t put on good scores without Lobb apart from one amazing quarter)
2023 - 13 wins 104% (6th - Semi Final Loss) Younger players take a huge leap, hopefully get a look at a quality young forward-line that would likely be very inconsistent and Fyfe and Walters etc. find close to their best form once again ala. Mundy
2024 - 15 wins 120% (4th- Prelim Loss) Players recruited at start of rebuild are in prime age. 2021, 2022 draft picks start to really hit their straps providing forward quality. Last year of Fyfe, Walters
2025 - 16 wins 138% (3rd- Prelim Loss) genuine premiership contender, Best young players at this stage all have years of experience behind them
2026 - 17-18 wins 140% (1st - Premiership)

That is the most optimistic of outcomes for where I think we are and around about 5 years away from having a really good sniff at winning a flag IF the club makes some smart list management/coaching/board decisions that can complement the existing core of younger players like Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy etc.

Dude you're new here but I like this type of posting. Keep it on standby because I think you've got the right of it.

Henry and Freddy are best on the wing
Perhaps.

Frederick could in best case scenario still get to a goal each game in a HFF/Wing role.

Henry can still be anything. Can imagine him in a wing role, but also as a small forward. Depends which way he improves. Kicking goals himself or offering run and carry combined with good disposal into 50. Or even both.

Btw. Midfield goals can still improve as well. Generally. Mundy the only mid with more then 0,5/game. And he most likely is no realistic long term solution.

We need match winners in the forward line. Players who are a genuine threat to the opposition, who scare them. They can be got in the draft. Port Adelaide got butters and Rozee in the top 12 and they immediately impacted the following season.
They are examples of genuine match winners.
Sturt is a possibility but he can’t get on the park. Currently I only rate Walters in that category. I think Schultz, switta, Colyer Henry, Crowden, Frederick are all just honest triers at the minute but won’t be giving too many opposition coaches sleepless nights. I’d love to see a risk taken on someone like Josh Rachele with Toby Greene like qualities.
that kind of X factor is sorely missing at the moment.

What do we need to make finals in 2021 2022? For every player to have a hyperalloy combat chassis — micro processor-controlled, fully armored. Very tough. But outside ... living human tissue — flesh, skin, hair, blood.

Flag by 2025. I welcome the guts behind it. Hopefully won't get brushed under the carpet by all and sundry like "flag by 2020" was if it fails. Either deliver Alcock/board or GTFO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually not that hard. At least 90% of our problems and failure is in the forward 50. We have no problem getting i50 often matching or winning the entries in losing games. Capitalise on this and we win most if not all games.

Tell me it's not that simple?
It's not even that - I think we worked out this season that if we even went at average AFL accuracy we'd have been top 4.

Flag by 2025. I welcome the guts behind it. Hopefully won't get brushed under the carpet by all and sundry like "flag by 2020" was if it fails. Either deliver Alcock/board or GTFO

A plan to win a flag in 5 years? Dislike announcements like that. What was our strategic plan over the last 25 years?

A plan to win a flag in 5 years? Dislike announcements like that. What was our strategic plan over the last 25 years?
Why do you dislike it? I remember people laughing at Richmond when they announced they wanted multiple flags within the next few years, but then it happened.

I'd rather we make a statement and have a chance to end up looking a bit silly, than not, and not achieving anything like we have in the past.

Why do you dislike it? I remember people laughing at Richmond when they announced they wanted multiple flags within the next few years, but then it happened.

I'd rather we make a statement and have a chance to end up looking a bit silly, than not, and not achieving anything like we have in the past.
I am more into only saying things I can stick to 100%.

It's not even that - I think we worked out this season that if we even went at average AFL accuracy we'd have been top 4.
Every year is different, and we don’t have Cerra here anymore.
If our midfield numbers stay the same, yes the forward line is
not a strength.
If the Dees can turn things around, break the drought then why not us in five years?
I’d say we have 3 years to take the comp by storm, age demographic wise with Fyfe and Tabs.
Have to get this draft right, and fix our soft underbelly, clubs don’t win flags unless they stand up physically.
If we are not top 6 or higher by 2023 then the rebuild was a fail.

I'm a little torn over the strategic plan announcement. I like having a vision and purpose, but as others have said, winning premierships should be a constant aim! Additionally there is also something to be said for under-promising and over-delivering. Likewise, it can be good to be aspirational. Torn.

If the Dees can turn things around, break the drought then why not us in five years?
We've got to be willing to be aggressive in the off season like Melbourne have been in the past 4 years or so if we want to follow in their foot steps though.

Since 2017 they have created a premiership worthy forward line (it works because it is balanced, not because it is full of super-star forwards) whilst also spending currency to recruit 2 AA KPDs. Lack of injuries obviously helps as well.

2017 - Lever (AA defender), Fritsch (best medium fwd in AFL), Spargo (sml fwd)
2018 - May (AA defender), Sparrow (fwd)
2019 - Tomlinson (winger), Langdon (winger), Jackson (fwd/ruck), Pickett (sml fwd), Rivers
2020 - Brown (kpf)

They nailed their last 4 off-seasons imo. And if you look at what they did in detail it is pretty impressive - they took plenty of calculated risks and they paid off.

I challenge anyone to convince me that a well balanced list isn't the most important thing in winning premierships. I'll leave it up to Freo's recruiters to identify the best talent but if we come out of this draft with no genuine forwards I'll be very confused.

minimal injuries to our best 25. We were one game off with pretty much the worst injury list in the league. The kids are older and more experienced. Consistency with who they are playing alongside will do wonders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back