Switch What do we want in new Pokemon Game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
With the announcement of Pokemon Snap coming to Switch, it got me thinking... as gamers, what do we want in the next traditional pokemon game (not like Snap or Go)?

For me I would love for them to take the idea of Pokemon Yea/Nah (for those who don't know look for it on Twitter) and make an Aussie version. However being such a small market, cant see it happening to be honest.

I would love a multiplayer online world where we can not only vs gym leaders but each other. This could be done with a look over the shoulder type system and see everyones level and badge rating.

Or alternatively just another multi region. Gold/Silver/Crystal and HG/SS has been rated as the best pokemon games by many online game sites. It would be good to have another one rather than have these remade for switch.

A rival who isn’t overly nice, doesn’t have to be blue or silver levels of dickhead but someone who’s atleast somewhat arrogant and cocky.

An antagonistic force that isn’t too childish and poses a threat.

Gym leaders, Elite 4 and Champion who don’t sit on their arse all day and do nothing.

Post gmae as big as Gold/Silver.

Agree with a lot of what's already been said but the two main ones for me would be the difficulty going up for the portion of their player base who have grown up with the games and don't need the hand holding, I'm sure they could find a way to make difficulty settings work.

I would also like the world to be more open and feel more alive like BOTW. Being able to take on gyms in any order you choose sort of like in the originals would be great as well.

My dream is a pokémon mmorpg, but I don't see that ever happening.

I want a game more focused on adults, cut the kids crap. Change the graphics style to a full 3d open world style. All pokémon avaliable. Voice acted. An evolution of the combat system. I hate the 4 move limit (I understand why it is, but I hate it). The hand holding has to stop. I've been playing for 20 years, I know what I'm doing. Just set me free in a pokémon world please.

That's my jumble of words.

Hard mode is all really. I basically deliberately handicap myself when playing Pokémon to keep things interesting.

All this really needs to be is random trainers with teams of 3-4 all Gym leaders with teams of 6 and improved AI.

Another way could be improving difficulty is by making all battles equalised by capping the number of Pokémon you are allowed to use in battle to match your opponent like the anime generally does.

Also more double even triple battles to allow for more strategic play.

Less mother******* cutscenes. A rival you can hate. A sense that the competitive element of the games - the reason that you're battling these adorable pocket monsters in the first place - isn't just there because it was in the first game. A complete removal of the Animal Crossing nonsense concerning customisation and cosmetics. A set of gym leaders and battles you can actually sink your teeth into. A foe organisation you can hate. Music that isn't all multilayered busy bullshit. Access to megaevolution prior to the national dex; placing Z moves and gigamaxing in the bin. A narrative that doesn't force characterisation on your actions beyond what you can do yourself.

I'm not going to get the same thrill I got hearing the first few seconds of Lance's theme in Pokemon R/B/Y, seeing that Gyarados come out and knowing s**t just got real, but surely writing music for soundtracks isn't that hard. Sword and Shield's gym leader battle music sucked arse, badly.

Ostensibly, they lost me with Sun/Moon due to the lengthy tutorial and the never. *******. ceasing. cutscenes. If I wanted to watch a 12 year old write and craft a bad anime, I'd do that. Sword and Shield were not hard, and the open world sections felt like Ubisoft-esque padding; go do this, collect this, grind for levels/EV things/candy.

And this isn't really a nostalgia based criticism, either. Cynthia is the best champion, and that Garchomp is among the most terrifying things in Pokemon. Gen 4 was a terrific mix of an immersive world, the plot being unobtrusive, the pokemon added being good additions, and what new mechanics being introduced were fine. Megaevolution and the addition of the fairy type allowed for new pokemon to shine. They clearly have some great ideas sometimes. But the fact that the games are ostensibly still near entirely for children is a bit of an issue for them, considering the massive adult fanbase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shiggy should be in the game

Cynthia is the best champion, and that Garchomp is among the most terrifying things in Pokemon. Gen 4 was a terrific mix of an immersive world, the plot being unobtrusive, the pokemon added being good additions, and what new mechanics being introduced were fine.
And so much this

I doubt we will ever get the games that we as adults and long term players really want when Gamefreak mostly catering to new and younger audiences continues to make them so much money and continues Pokemon's rise in popularity.

As much as it may disappoint some of us, from a business point of view why would they ever change?

I’ve just started Pokémon Sword, visually it looks great but it desperately needs voice acting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

taking the survival elements from BOTW would be good, make it feel like you're starting from nothing like BOTW. make it so you have to survive your first day and night, gather food, make a fire, get through your first scraps, find somewhere to sleep. giving your character similar controls so you can adventure via swimming, climbing mountains etc. to find different pokemon would be good and is well overdue.

i am sure they know full well they could take queues from Dragon Quest and Three Houses and Yokai Watch and so many others, but they choose to keep Pokemon simpler because it is THE "kids first RPG" franchise, the biggest in the world. i know it would be tough to mess with that, especially considering their formula is technically doing well, with Sword and Shield selling 20 million.

i've sort of become content getting a more technical deeper experience with other RPGs and coming to Pokemon to have fun and switch off a bit whilst still playing an RPG. but i wouldn't say no to improvements cos yeah I found Sword/Shield INCREDIBLY boring and stopped 2/3 cities in.

Being able to take on gyms in any order you choose sort of like in the originals would be great as well.
I like this idea. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for each gym to scale up with every badge you earn.

Pokémon shouldn’t have the crutch of needing to include every single Pokémon in every game, it will get to a point where it’s not sustainable anyway so capping the dex at 250 max every game but making the games areas great quality and incredible to explore would be the best. Finding a rare Pokémon in some awesome location without it being given to you as part of the story would be great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back