Switch What do we want in new Pokemon Game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Super training and mob Pokemon like ORAS (for EV training)
Tougher trainers (including gym leaders and elite 4 who are worth a damn)
Skippable tutorial
Sun/Moon post-champion league challengers were fun
The "critical health" music from B&W (so damn catchy)

Might be bad wording but what we would want is too much in the minority, as evidence by the 20 million sold on growing. Kids (and casual adult audience) today are fine with the game as a cash in, with the same hand holding, basic dialogue, basic combat, reused animations etc etc. While the older games had more too it and some difficulty, we have out grown the growing target audience.

Were as say Mario can still be fun for everyone regardless with it's game play and changing core mechanics.

Might be bad wording but what we would want is too much in the minority, as evidence by the 20 million sold on growing. Kids (and casual adult audience) today are fine with the game as a cash in, with the same hand holding, basic dialogue, basic combat, reused animations etc etc. While the older games had more too it and some difficulty, we have out grown the growing target audience.

Were as say Mario can still be fun for everyone regardless with it's game play and changing core mechanics.

A big assumption being made here. Sword/Shield received lukewarm reviews and not universally well received by the fans, either. Pokémon has, and has always had, massive potential. I don’t think there’s any evidence that the younger demographic is properly satisfied and the sales can be explained easily by the strength of the fan base and appeal of the brand, rather than quality of the recent games. Put a Pokémon game on the Switch and it’s going to sell well whether it’s just okay or fantastic - this does not mean that the games can’t be improved for all potential buyers.

There is so so much that can be improved with mainline Pokemon games. GameFreak are just lazy IMO
I think they just need to make a hard mode. If the were hard mode that would likely satisfy the older demographic while an easy mode would satisfy the kiddies.

taking the survival elements from BOTW would be good, make it feel like you're starting from nothing like BOTW. make it so you have to survive your first day and night, gather food, make a fire, get through your first scraps, find somewhere to sleep. giving your character similar controls so you can adventure via swimming, climbing mountains etc. to find different pokemon would be good and is well overdue.

i am sure they know full well they could take queues from Dragon Quest and Three Houses and Yokai Watch and so many others, but they choose to keep Pokemon simpler because it is THE "kids first RPG" franchise, the biggest in the world. i know it would be tough to mess with that, especially considering their formula is technically doing well, with Sword and Shield selling 20 million.

i've sort of become content getting a more technical deeper experience with other RPGs and coming to Pokemon to have fun and switch off a bit whilst still playing an RPG. but i wouldn't say no to improvements cos yeah I found Sword/Shield INCREDIBLY boring and stopped 2/3 cities in.
*. No.

If I wanted to play a survival game, I'd be playing one of those. The problem with Pokemon is in the accumulated debris from other games and genres getting in the way of the core experience. If I wanted to play a JRPG, I'd be playing Dynasty Warriors/FF:VII; if I wanted to play a survival game, I'd be playing Ark or Conan Exiles. But I'm not playing those, I'm playing a Pokemon game, because I want to play a pokemon game.

If I wanted to play a JRPG, I'd be playing Dynasty Warriors/FF:VII; if I wanted to play a survival game, I'd be playing Ark or Conan Exiles. But I'm not playing those, I'm playing a Pokemon game, because I want to play a pokemon game.

wait what genre do you think Pokemon games are

wait what genre do you think Pokemon games are
Pokemon games are in the battling, the gyms and the badges, the adventuring through different terrain and the catching of different and interesting pokemon.

Even the contests in Gen 3 were but an extension of the Pokemon experience, albeit in a s**t direction. Adding further survival elements and nonsensical Animal Crossing-esque customization and base building alongside exceedingly shithouse RPG elements is the problem facing the series to date: that the series itself has lost its identity under the weight of all those contrasting and conflicting elements from other genres and games.

I couldn't disagree more with your post, I'm afraid. I'm more than willing to try anything that can add to the Pokemon experience, provided it has to do with the pokemon experience. Getting to pet your pokemon, treating them as a pet; sure, it's not for me, but I can buy that. It's about building a bond with them. But survival elements? Nope. Doesn't belong here.

Pokemon games are in the battling, the gyms and the badges, the adventuring through different terrain and the catching of different and interesting pokemon.

that is a long name for a genre! :p

that is a long name for a genre! :p
It is. ;)

Still, you know what I mean. If they could find a way to have the pokemon in your party be involved in the survival elements - akin to the HM's, but not as restrictive or essential, perhaps - then I could be swayed. Just, I'd like the central conceit of the games - which is the battling - to return to the forefront, instead of being an afterthought behind the light RPG elements and other stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone here knows what Etrian Odyssey is about, I just thought of something evil.

Free-roaming Pokemon like in ShSw, but wild Pokemon can join battles that you are currently fighting. Then you let a bunch of high levelled Mons run around the overworld.

Watch the kids freak and throw their consoles when a level 40 Machamp joins an early game battle after the player has just gotten their starter...

F.O.E. F.O.E. F.O.E. F.O.E. F.O.E.

Completely switch the starter types from water grass fire. Give me a rock or fighting type starter

• Fighting > Rock > Flying
  • Fire > Steel > Rock
  • Ground > Poison > Grass
Theyre the only other 3 options.

The later of which would probably be great in my envisioned Australasia mode (8 gyms, elite 4 in Australia, then another 6 'post game gyms' in New Zealand)

• Fighting > Rock > Flying
  • Fire > Steel > Rock
  • Ground > Poison > Grass
Theyre the only other 3 options.

The later of which would probably be great in my envisioned Australasia mode (8 gyms, elite 4 in Australia, then another 6 'post game gyms' in New Zealand)
Fighting >>> Dark >>> Psychic

Like the dual typing nonsense they've been doing for a while.

Fighting >>> Dark >>> Psychic

Like the dual typing nonsense they've been doing for a while.
But that's not a perfect triangle

Yes, they're strong against the next one in the chain, but not resistant against the previous. (Breaks as Dark is immune to Psychic - not resistant)

All they have to do to make the best Pokémon game is graphically remaster Platinum to make me happy.

It had everything. Good main game, music, post game, underground, battle frontier, legendaries, online and local play, national dex. There are some legendarys that were online event exclusive so just make them work in the main game for the remake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back