What do you do and how much do you make?

Remove this Banner Ad

Secondary teacher (primary qualified but teaching secondary special ed) in Queensland. 90k pa.

Teachers making 90,000 these days? Regional?
I'm a senior teacher. Starting salaries are much lower. I'm regional but teachers all over the state get paid the same. There are some perks to regional/remote teaching though like free/subsidised rent and tax offsets.

I work in finance at an engineering firm...$65,000+ super at the moment but will be going up to $75,000 in the next few weeks.

I've been treading water for a year or 2. My partner and I have plans to move to the US and start a business over there. We'll both sell our houses over the next 3 - 6 months and head off to the US with about $250k. My thoughts are that while i'm still young enough I should take some risks and try turn that $250k in to a whole lot more.

The renos were supposed to have been finished 6 or so months ago but for one reason or another have been delayed. With the US trip having been planned for about a year, its been hard to keep motivated at my current job.

I've been working the 9-5 job for the last 6 years, time for something different

Well a lot has changed.

I broke up with the gf about 12- 18 months ago depending on if you count the still "sort of" seeing each other as still going out.

I was getting very bored of being an accountant so decided I wanted to combine the things I liked about being an accountant, modelling & analysis with my passion for property. Was successful in applying for a job as a Property Analyst in Sydney paying around the $100k mark and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I sold my property in Perth and purchased 2 apartment buildings in the US. I have since sold one of my properties in the US and kept one. Unfortunately I sold one when the $AUD was $1.05 however I still made an exceptional profit, close to 180% in less than 2 years. The decline in the $AUD is certainly helping with the rental income coming in on the property I still do have as well.

With the profit from the sale of the property in the US I have done a fair bit of travelling and have started setting up my own business which should be online in the next couple of months.

In the meantime I'm studying a Property Post Grad combined with an MBA which is keeping me busy. Lucky I have the funds from my property sale to have someone else getting my business ready for opening. With working and studying full time, I have no time to give at the moment.

The plan is still to live in the US at some point. Probably sometime during the 1st half of 2017 after I have finished my studies. The business will hopefully be running reasonably smoothly by then and will be ready for International expansion as well.

Probably over ambitious but meh, have to have dreams ey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did my post grad studies working full time as well which was hard, I can only imagine what the MBA would be like.

I have been strongly considering it.

I did my post grad studies working full time as well which was hard, I can only imagine what the MBA would be like.

I have been strongly considering it.
I need it if I want to head over to New York or London. If the plan was to stay in Australia, I probably wouldn't bother.

I was more thinking about doing it for personal gain I guess. Not to get into a job.

Did you gain much practical knowledge?
It's a lot of work and money for a personal gain...depends on how old you are I guess. If I was in my 30's or 40's then perhaps an MBA for personal gain and to keep the brain ticking over may be of use.

I've only just started and the units i'm doing this semester are all fairly straight froward due to having experienced a lot of the work in my day job. Next semester will be a lot harder I imagine

Controversial opinion but if you adjust that for the extra 8 weeks of leave they get:

104/40 * 48 = $124.8k per year

That's a pretty bloody good salary.

You forgot to factor in the 3pm finishes 5 days a week

You forgot to factor in the 3pm finishes 5 days a week

The people who are in the position highlighted - "top teacher salary" are actually in top Leading Teacher salary.

In most cases, they'd be running teams of 15-20 staff members. To do so requires attending leadership meetings, and leading team meetings, as well as being held far more accountable for student results, often 200+ students.

They might get away at 3PM on a Friday, but would rarely be able to do Monday-Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back