Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I think he’s fine.

moving Elliot and De Goey into the middle when needed is good.

but we’re a team - like all - that relies on structure and method, and that means the days of decisive changes are mostly gone.

I have more issues with team selection And drafting.

We’ve needed a key forward for years and then he‘s too forgiving on players who underperform: Brown, Whe, etc.

Lucky win on thursday night. Probably due to the Chris Scott being a worse coach. He's just inflexible and doesnt know when to make a change. Probably when you think about it, he's just like Voss and Hird. His coaching wasn't helped by that brownlow medal. We need to transition to some like Clarko. Clarko is going stale at the Hawks and will be looking to come to the Pies next year. We need to keep the pressure on.

This reminds me of your Buckley posts from three or four years ago. I think you were keen on Clarko then too. I admire your persistence, and it may yet pay off, especially if Jeff Kennett has his way. Good to see you haven’t lost your touch.:thumbsu:

Lucky win on thursday night. Probably due to the Chris Scott being a worse coach. He's just inflexible and doesnt know when to make a change. Probably when you think about it, he's just like Voss and Hird. His coaching wasn't helped by that brownlow medal. We need to transition to some like Clarko. Clarko is going stale at the Hawks and will be looking to come to the Pies next year. We need to keep the pressure on.

Great points there Mark. The win was surely a fluke that actually harmed our chances of landing Clarko (or at the very least getting Mick back). I too can see strong similarities with Voss and Hird and not just the Brownlow. He might not have the crazy gleam in his eye that Vossy did, and he might not have the antiageing peptides running through his veins like Hirdy but that's only because he is a polished media performer.

Can't pull the wool over our eyes!

Great points there Mark. The win was surely a fluke that actually harmed our chances of landing Clarko (or at the very least getting Mick back). I too can see strong similarities with Voss and Hird and not just the Brownlow. He might not have the crazy gleam in his eye that Vossy did, and he might not have the antiageing peptides running through his veins like Hirdy but that's only because he is a polished media performer.

Can't pull the wool over our eyes!

i'm glad you see the similarities with Voss and Hird. I noticed that some years back but I've kept it to myself, but I thought now was the time to reveal my theories. As for Mick, I still have hopes that he will come back as director of coaching. Its not surprising to me that Heritier Lumumba has no problems with Mick's coaching up to 2011. It was only after Buckley took over that the disciplines were broken down. Dayne Beams would never have had the mental issues if Mick had stayed around. Dayne would never have left. As for De Goey, Mick would have got him in line quick smart*.

But it's time to move on and Clarko is the man. As we speak he is overseeing the hawks dip on the ladder to get new draft picks and we need to get in quick before they rise like a phoenix.

As anyone knows, I've always been an unconditional supporter of Bucks. So I think it's time that we unconditionally move him on.

* By the way, some of you might see an issue with Dayne not leaving and De Goey playing with us. All I say is that Mick gets it done.

This reminds me of your Buckley posts from three or four years ago. I think you were keen on Clarko then too. I admire your persistence, and it may yet pay off, especially if Jeff Kennett has his way. Good to see you haven’t lost your touch.:thumbsu:

i'm relentless and consistent. It's that the club doesn't employ me.

i'm glad you see the similarities with Voss and Hird. I noticed that some years back but I've kept it to myself, but I thought now was the time to reveal my theories. As for Mick, I still have hopes that he will come back as director of coaching. Its not surprising to me that Heritier Lumumba has no problems with Mick's coaching up to 2011. It was only after Buckley took over that the disciplines were broken down. Dayne Beams would never have had the mental issues if Mick had stayed around. Dayne would never have left. As for De Goey, Mick would have got him in line quick smart*.

But it's time to move on and Clarko is the man. As we speak he is overseeing the hawks dip on the ladder to get new draft picks and we need to get in quick before they rise like a phoenix

As anyone knows, I've always been an unconditional supporter of Bucks. So I think it's time that we unconditionally move him on.

* By the way, some of you might see an issue with Dayne not leaving and De Goey playing with us. All I say is that Mick gets it done.

I couldn't agree more.

In Clarko we would finally have the kind of man at the helm that won't hesitate to beat up an umpire at a kid's game. A human that will bring success to the club through his hard-nosed win at all costs mentality.

I don't know if you've observed this but Buckley is a SNAG (Sensitive New Age Guy). All this affection he puts on display makes me very uncomfortable.

For what its worth, IF Clarko's on the market, we'd be mad not to do our due diligence.
We DO have a cache of young talent thats just about ready to explode (like he had at Hawthorn in 2007....)
And Nicky Daicos would be like getting another Cyril....

I couldn't agree more.

In Clarko we would finally have the kind of man at the helm that won't hesitate to beat up an umpire at a kid's game. A human that will bring success to the club through his hard-nosed win at all costs mentality.

I don't know if you've observed this but Buckley is a SNAG (Sensitive New Age Guy). All this affection he puts on display makes me very uncomfortable.

No doubt. Snag with too much runny cheese. He uses 10K of words to say "we need to win". I've heard that he has meetings to organise meetings and then has pre-meeting meetings and post-meeting meetings....

Mick hardly talked to the younger guys. He would just let them scramble to get into the senior player group.

Buckley has done a fair job and we could move him into administration. Clarko would be the answer. I just cant understand why there arent dozens of BFs posting on this.

But it's time to move on and Clarko is the man. As we speak he is overseeing the hawks dip on the ladder to get new draft picks and we need to get in quick before they rise like a phoenix.

Mick got it done once in a 12 year stint and only by the skin of his teeth on that one occasion (draw before a win). There were just as many off field shenanigan's under Malthouse-he simply didn't care as much as Bucks and others so long as they were playing good footy.

Bucks was in a whisker of matching Malthouse's feat in a shorter period of time and with far more crippling injuries to key players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I am glad you are concerned. Dejavu. I have been concerned since the start of 2012 when he was given the below team (numbers in brackets are my rating out of 10 for the player at the time) and we know what he did with this team...

B: C.Tarrant (9) N.Brown (8) N.Maxwell (8)
HB: H.Shaw(9) B.Reid (9) H.O'Brien (8)
C: S.Sidebottom (8) S.Pendlebury (10) D.Beams (8)
HF: A.Didak (9) T.Cloke (8) D.Thomas (8)
F: L.Davis (8) C.Dawes (8) A.Krakouer (8)
R: D.Jolly (8) D.Swan (9) L.Ball (8)
INT: S.Wellingham (7) B.Johnson (7) T.Goldsack (7) L.Brown (7)
Emerg: J.Blair (7) A.Toovey (7) B.Macaffer (7)
really, ah never mind it’s not worth it

The coaches who are good tactically will come to the fore now that the number of assistants etc have been cut. Sadly, that ain't Bucks.

He will never lead the club to a flag. He simply does not have what it takes, he is not overly intelligent and lacks the killer instinct that flag sides need. We killed the 2010 era side with the succession plan and are watching a very talented side be held back by a coach who simply is not up to the challenge.

But that's Collingwood, its easier to blame outside forces than to look within.
This is such a myth yet it is trotted out every time a bash Bucks thread comes up. We were never going to win another flag with that list. Do you seriously believe we would have been challenging Hawthorn in their golden run of flags with the remnants of our 2010 side? We would have played finals for a few more years without getting near the GF. Then we would have dropped off the edge of a big cliff. Malthouse just wrote about this exact approach in his article in yesterday's paper. He said the yearafter we lost the second gf in 2004 he went to the board and said we would have to start again if we wanted to be contenders, so he shredded the list.
Unthinkable! The list that just saw us play in two consecutive grand finals and almost beat the unbeatable Lions not good enough to take us forward? Correct.

No doubt. Snag with too much runny cheese. He uses 10K of words to say "we need to win". I've heard that he has meetings to organise meetings and then has pre-meeting meetings and post-meeting meetings....
Mick hardly talked to the younger guys. He would just let them scramble to get into the senior player group.
Buckley has done a fair job and we could move him into administration. Clarko would be the answer. I just cant understand why there arent dozens of BFs posting on this.
This

Mick got it done once in a 12 year stint and only by the skin of his teeth on that one occasion (draw before a win). There were just as many off field shenanigan's under Malthouse-he simply didn't care as much as Bucks and others so long as they were playing good footy.

Bucks was in a whisker of matching Malthouse's feat in a shorter period of time and with far more crippling injuries to key players.

the problem with you domie is your conservative thinking.... we need to reach for the stars

This is such a myth yet it is trotted out every time a bash Bucks thread comes up. We were never going to win another flag with that list. Do you seriously believe we would have been challenging Hawthorn in their golden run of flags with the remnants of our 2010 side? We would have played finals for a few more years without getting near the GF. Then we would have dropped off the edge of a big cliff. Malthouse just wrote about this exact approach in his article in yesterday's paper. He said the yearafter we lost the second gf in 2004 he went to the board and said we would have to start again if we wanted to be contenders, so he shredded the list.
Unthinkable! The list that just saw us play in two consecutive grand finals and almost beat the unbeatable Lions not good enough to take us forward? Correct.
We could of easily contended for next 3-5 years with a competent head coach. Look at the ages of our best players:

Sidebottom was 20
Beams was 21
Reid was 22
Brown was 22
Pendlebury was 23
Thomas was 24
Cloke was 24
O'Brien was 24
Shaw was 25
Swan was 27
Ball was 27
Maxwell was 28
Didak was 28
Jolly was 29
Davis was 30

All we had to do is find a replacement ruckman for Jolly.

Even Luke Ball retiring early due to injuries wasnt an issue because we largely had already replaced him internally with Beams and Sidebottom moving from forward flanks into midfield.

Markfs and I are both carrying on in a tongue-in-cheek manner mate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back