What do you think of this idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our out and out superstars are essential to us winning a premiership, and we need them on the park.

However, did it benefit us by having these guys injured in the first half of the year? They were fresh for finals, won 12 in a row, steamrolled the competition. Whilst I’m 2018 we went hard from the start and by the end of the season the wheels were falling off.

Is it a possibility that our match selection committee could manage their game time, so we’re giving younger talent the opportunity to play games, and give our top players a reduced home and away season?

This year? The injuries crippled us, but assisted us in development gems that will help us in the future.

Quite possibly, could we give Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin, Nankveris, Grimes, Lynch, Houli and Prestia 15-16 game seasons, rather than 22 games, and allow players such as Naish, Balta, RCD, Ross, Menedue, CCJ, Markov to have 5-6 continuous games to see whether they can break through into our core group too?

It would be nice to have enough wins to make top four, but also have a fresh and full strength list to tackle the second season of the year in September to give us the best chance at a premiership.

What are you thoughts? I’m not sold on the idea myself yet, but I like the idea of giving VFL kids AFL experience whilst resting our champions, but not at the expense of giving up top four.
Yes.
I believe we need to cap our superstars to 17 games in the regular season.
1. Prolongs their careers
2. Helps us be fresh for finals
3. Accelerates the development of our younger players.

I think after our long stretch of mcg games at the end of this season and every other support base cracking the sooks, we can look forward to a torrid run of travel to end out the 2020 season. Managing the list through this will be critical. Would like to see 10+ game seasons from Ross, Stack, Balta, and game time invested in CCJ. We will need to be strategic in how we enable it however.
Book mark this post for when the fixture rolls out

What formula? 1 tall and a mosquito fleet or 2 rucks, a big lunch and heaps of injuries?
pressure, pressure, pressure. numbers at the fall of the ball. run in waves keeping the ball in forward motion. two tall forwards who are mobile and can open up packs and/or take a grab. a team that is a moveable feast in terms of positioning. two flags says it's working well.

pressure, pressure, pressure. numbers at the fall of the ball. run in waves keeping the ball in forward motion. two tall forwards who are mobile and can open up packs and/or take a grab. a team that is a moveable feast in terms of positioning. two flags says it's working well.
2017 was 1 tall fwd and 1 ruck
2019 had 2 of each
Pretty different.
All those things you mention can still be achieved when managing the playing roster.

It was a joke joyce.
BUT.....No reason to say that by managing our stars workloads that we can't maintain the 'system'

Been saying managing players and getting games into kids at the same time is the way to go for ages. Problem is you have to have a lot of faith and confidence else face huge supporter backlash if it backfires. Our hand was forced so it’s different obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s a good idea in theory. I wouldn’t have them missing that many games though. Keep it to 20 games or so. That’s two rests plus the two byes.

It’s also called flirting with form though and is very easy to get wrong. But I think the general idea of managing players a bit more to extend their careers is a good one. But it also runs the risk of seeing us drop games, so getting a good start to the year would be key so that we’ve got some flexibility in how we approach things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back