Opinion What do you think Ross will change?

Remove this Banner Ad

“Returned”?
When was he with us previously? I don’t remember.

And more importantly, did he improve our goal kicking last time?
He was with us in 2011 after being Skill Acquisition/Game Development Coach at Geelong from 2007-2010.

Has more than 40 years of experience in the AFL. After the half arsed attempts at improving our goal kicking under Ben Dixon I think it's a good get, there's a succession plan in place for him to pass the role onto Brendon Goddard and I think he can bring something new and beneficial to the club.

He was with us in 2011 after being Skill Acquisition/Game Development Coach at Geelong from 2007-2010.

Has more than 40 years of experience in the AFL. After the half arsed attempts at improving our goal kicking under Ben Dixon I think it's a good get, there's a succession plan in place for him to pass the role onto Brendon Goddard and I think he can bring something new and beneficial to the club.

giphy.gif

So it’s back to the future.

It's probably going to take a while for the players to adjust from Ratten's "go with your instincts and get it deep to a contest" game plan to Lyon's meticulous, detailed team strategy. We saw a year of adjustment in 2007 when Lyon first took over and that was with a much stronger list.

I'm hoping that he can get the best version of our underperforming players to come through. Hill, Clark and Billings have higher levels of talent than their output suggests. If we got those three players firing then all of a sudden we have three very damaging runners with silky skills drastically improving our ball movement.

I also hope that he's ditched the idea of a four year apprenticeship being necessary before you can be a regular senior player.
An early appraisal of my own prediction:

Wrong about players taking time to pick up on and buy into Lyon's game plan. They did it immediately but after a month or so they have regressed to the Ratten style of play.

He has absolutely gotten Hill and Clark to play their best footy to date for the club. Billings has been injured and then building so we'll see where that goes, but I still have hope that he will also be able to reach a higher level of performance.

As shown by his faith in Pou and Hammer, he has clearly ditched his 4 year apprenticeship model.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@George jobs for mates continues shocking nepotism

Yes our current philosophy of hiring proven coaches, and other football staff, who know what they are doing, and are good at their roles, is simply appalling.

I mean what ever happened to the good ole days of for example of allowing Admin Staff like Bains and Lethlean to have a go at being in Football List Management just because they felt like giving it a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back