Opinion What do you think Ross will change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Part 2

I have made a commitment to report back to you on the review process and will share the high-level outcomes after we have finalised the internal processes.

Importantly, securing our new Senior Coach has completed the major changes that we need going forward into season 2023.

As we embark on our 150th year, we will not shy away from our ambitious goals for this club both on and off the field.

The last few weeks have been incredibly difficult. As hard as it has been, the Board’s commitment is to drive sustainable success for our deserving and loyal supporters. We are confident that we have made the right decisions in pursuit of this goal.

Over the last five years we have returned to our spiritual home, built state-of the-art facilities for our athletes and people, welcomed an AFLW team, ensured we are on the path to being debt-free and are building the foundations of long-term football success.

There is still more to be done and the Board is absolutely committed to the work ahead.

Our club is now creating a culture we can all be proud of, and the fact that we are able to attract some of our industry’s best football administrators and coaches is testament to that.

We are so thrilled to have Ross back at St Kilda, and I know that our members will be feeling hope and excitement for what is to come.

Take care and go Saints,

Andrew Bassat.

I continue to hear there are pictures of current players up in change rooms, gym etc. if that is true, he will have them taken down.
They have achieved nothing.

Pictures should only be of club champions, Lockett, Winmar, Harvey, Hayes, Riewoldt, Frawley etc.

He may try to change things, but may find the playing list isn't necessarily going to respond to his plans in the first season, or maybe never- it's not the list of 2009 or 10. He would just about need to re-educate most of the players on how they play, then re-educate them to play as a winning team. It could go either way.

with our list we will struggle to find 6 under 21's good enough for senior footy. Nas, Windy and Owens as much as possible in the 1's. Who else is there?
Our top 3 picks this coming Draft
I continue to hear there are pictures of current players up in change rooms, gym etc. if that is true, he will have them taken down.
They have achieved nothing.

Pictures should only be of club champions, Lockett, Winmar, Harvey, Hayes, Riewoldt, Frawley etc.
Their putting up all the Disneyland characters when RTB commences next week

Pretty cliche but I think that the main thing will be structure. I'm expecting to see much more organisation behind the ball and in front of the ball.

On the training track there will be a new standard. Really looking forward to seeing what Ross can get out of some of the players in the side. Who will the new McQualter, Blake etc.

Wilkie looks like the guy who actually has the leadership in him. I think Ross will be good for giving responsibility to a few deputies. If King becomes captain it will be because Ross has turned him from an uncertain shy kid into a a terminator type raging bull. I think Ross is good on the psych stuff, he gets player's self belief up. Rooey was really a baby faced third tall when Ross arrived, when he left he was a Wayne Carey main man.

The whole place need to believe that they are good enough. We look the most mentally fragile side in the league. When we are on we look great, but the moment we have a speed-hump come up unexpectedly we have to pull over and have a lie down.

I think that will be the number one thing that he'll bring to the club, a real sense entitlement and drive.
Roo was 04 MVP he was a Superstar before Ross got there..

No need to guess what this cum rag thought if it

Dipshits missed Lethlean's point that it was unfair to be talking about future candidates at a press conference announcing the sacking of a coach. He and Bassat wanted the conference to purely be about Brett and the decision, and tried to separate the respectful acknowledgement of Brett's efforts with the anticipation of his replacement.

Overly optimisitic? Maybe. They were trying to make the best of a bad situation, not to save face but out of genuine respect. But we weren't allowed that.

I honestly think he just has to do Ross. Don't reinvent the wheel. Have his assistants and club staff pushing the kids and have an honest and fair selection process in place. If they want a certain amount of kids being developed make that part of the selection process that is communicated to the seconds players. Tell them a kid will get a run before the older player with similar form or close form. If they know the lay of the land, they won't get upset by the process.
How annoying would it be if he's altered his style to be more with the times and he just ends up being a Lyon Lite half way between what we actually hired him to be and a more Ratts-style cuddly toy.

That's me always thinking of the worst case scenario.

It's probably going to take a while for the players to adjust from Ratten's "go with your instincts and get it deep to a contest" game plan to Lyon's meticulous, detailed team strategy. We saw a year of adjustment in 2007 when Lyon first took over and that was with a much stronger list.

I'm hoping that he can get the best version of our underperforming players to come through. Hill, Clark and Billings have higher levels of talent than their output suggests. If we got those three players firing then all of a sudden we have three very damaging runners with silky skills drastically improving our ball movement.

I also hope that he's ditched the idea of a four year apprenticeship being necessary before you can be a regular senior player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roo was 04 MVP he was a Superstar before Ross got there..

He seemed like a kid before Ross got there and had GTrain and Hamill types to surround him. His real taking the game on to win definitely seemed to improve under Ross. His mental attitude changed. perhaps my memory is going though.

It's probably going to take a while for the players to adjust from Ratten's "go with your instincts and get it deep to a contest" game plan to Lyon's meticulous, detailed team strategy. We saw a year of adjustment in 2007 when Lyon first took over and that was with a much stronger list.

I'm hoping that he can get the best version of our underperforming players to come through. Hill, Clark and Billings have higher levels of talent than their output suggests. If we got those three players firing then all of a sudden we have three very damaging runners with silky skills drastically improving our ball movement.

I also hope that he's ditched the idea of a four year apprenticeship being necessary before you can be a regular senior player.

Ratts wasn't an initiative coach IMO. I thought our players looked confused under Ratts. He obviously had a lot of non negotiables and players looked like they were trying to not look bad in the review to me.

I think we have so much more scope for internal improvement than the media are suggesting.

Last time he took a club with a number of strong shining lights and forged them into an almost unbeatable TEAM - Roo as a strong central piece and more a general. This time I am hoping he can do similar - there is no "I" in Team!

Ratts wasn't an initiative coach IMO. I thought our players looked confused under Ratts. He obviously had a lot of non negotiables and players looked like they were trying to not look bad in the review to me.

I think we have so much more scope for internal improvement than the media are suggesting.
It feel like Ratts was cruising, like a lot of people holding influential positions at the club. Average standards & minimal accountability. Bassett clearly has a passion for success & has brought people to the club that share his passion. You know RTB will strive for excellence & won’t allow the club to continue to cruise.

I don't necessarily agree entirely with the 2007 list comparison. At the top end yes, but the list is deeper now.
In 2007 we also had quite a few key players coming to the end of their careers.

The older blokes in 2006-

Screenshot (30).png

Screenshot (31).png

Screenshot (33).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (33).png
    Screenshot (33).png
    3.8 KB · Views: 62
What I love about the Ross replacement is he will provide a genuine clean slate for every player. In the past it has always felt like we have played those who were expected to be playing, whether the deserved the spot or not. Ross will be strong enough to pick the team he thinks can win the game or makes us better in the future.

I can’t wait for pre season training reports and Rd 1 team selection. Should be very interesting. It almost like every player bar a few are a change if the roll up the sleeves, work hard and play their role for the team. It’s as motivating as it can get for every player.

Wonder if we'd get a ruck coach in. Love to have Paddy doing this, but I'm guessing he's gone back to SA. Steven King to keep the theme going?

Sorted in order of games played by the 2007 squad.
Bold means that at the time they were far better than their opponent was in 2022.

Fiora : Billings
Dal Santo
: Ross
Blake : Wilkie
Milne : Higgins
L Fisher : Hill
Montagna : Sinclair
Gram : Webster
Gehrig : Membrey
Riewoldt : King
S Fisher : Battle
Attarrd : Highmore
Hayes : Steele
Koschitski : Marshall
Harvey : Clark
X Clarke : Gresham
Baker : Paton
Ball : Crouch
Gilbert : Coffield
Rix : Hayes
Birss : Jones
Voss : Butler
Thompson : Windhager
Hudghton : Howard
M Clark : Campbell
Maguire : Sharman
R Clarke : Wanganeen-Milera
Gwilt : Wood
Goddard : Owens
McQualter : Byrnes
Jones : Mackenzie
Armitage : Bytel
Fergason : Cordy
Brooks : Allison
Howard : Peris
Sweeney : Connelly
Hamil : Hannebery
Watts : Heath
Gardiner : Adams
Raymond : 2nd rounder 2022.
Allen : 3rd rounder 2022.
Van Rheenan: Cat B?
Eddy: 1st rounder 2022.
Wall: Rookie 2022.
Geary: 2nd rounder 2022

We had more rucks in 2007, but 1 injured, 1 past the used by , and 2 no good.
We have more key defender depth.
It seems like we have better depth now, but the list is a couple of places smaller.

What I love about the Ross replacement is he will provide a genuine clean slate for every player. In the past it has always felt like we have played those who were expected to be playing, whether the deserved the spot or not. Ross will be strong enough to pick the team he thinks can win the game or makes us better in the future.

I can’t wait for pre season training reports and Rd 1 team selection. Should be very interesting. It almost like every player bar a few are a change if the roll up the sleeves, work hard and play their role for the team. It’s as motivating as it can get for every player.

First time in years that I'm impatient for the footy to start again. Apparently they are starting the season a week earlier and they were talking about a labour day block buster. Maybe the Ross battle- Freo v Saints. We could pack out Marvel after this reappointment ourselves I reckon.

Sorted in order of games played by the 2007 squad.
Bold means that at the time they were far better than their opponent was in 2022.

Fiora : Billings
Dal Santo
: Ross
Blake : Wilkie
Milne : Higgins
L Fisher : Hill
Montagna : Sinclair
Gram : Webster
Gehrig : Membrey
Riewoldt : King
S Fisher : Battle
Attarrd : Highmore
Hayes : Steele
Koschitski : Marshall
Harvey : Clark
X Clarke : Gresham
Baker : Paton
Ball : Crouch
Gilbert : Coffield
Rix : Hayes
Birss : Jones
Voss : Butler
Thompson : Windhager
Hudghton : Howard
M Clark : Campbell
Maguire : Sharman
R Clarke : Wanganeen-Milera
Gwilt : Wood
Goddard : Owens
McQualter : Byrnes
Jones : Mackenzie
Armitage : Bytel
Fergason : Cordy
Brooks : Allison
Howard : Peris
Sweeney : Connelly
Hamil : Hannebery
Watts : Heath
Gardiner : Adams
Raymond : 2nd rounder 2022.
Allen : 3rd rounder 2022.
Van Rheenan: Cat B?
Eddy: 1st rounder 2022.
Wall: Rookie 2022.
Geary: 2nd rounder 2022

We had more rucks in 2007, but 1 injured, 1 past the used by , and 2 no good.
We have more key defender depth.
It seems like we have better depth now, but the list is a couple of places smaller.

Jeepers, even half Hill is better than Leigh Fisher and substantially.

Am I the only one that still has faith that Brad Hill can be a star for us?

He’d spent his whole career under exceptional coaches in Clarko and Ross.

He then came to us and looked poor in a dysfunctional system that didn’t allow him to do what he does best: that is literally run up and down a wing all day and deliver balls into 50.

We are still crying out for “run and carry” in our team. The fact our coaches were the only ones unable to develop a system to get the quintessential and proven “run and carry” player on the league to do just that shows how poor our coaching really was.

Expecting big things from Hill moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back