Opinion What do you think Ross will change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one that still has faith that Brad Hill can be a star for us?

He’d spent his whole career under exceptional coaches in Clarko and Ross.

He then came to us and looked poor in a dysfunctional system that didn’t allow him to do what he does best: that is literally run up and down a wing all day and deliver balls into 50.

We are still crying out for “run and carry” in our team. The fact our coaches were the only ones unable to develop a system to get the quintessential and proven “run and carry” player on the league to do just that shows how poor our coaching really was.

Expecting big things from Hill moving forward.

No definitely not. I think Ross knew how to use him. We might be extremely glad we didn't unload him for a token pick after next year. I feel like there are half a dozen guys who will all make miraculous jumps next year though.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Knowing the list has been positioned for improvement we should improve , hopefully Ross can take the team to the next step.
Just improvement from King , Battle , Higgins should win us a couple more games and that is not even adding Hunter Clark , Coffield and Jack Hayes coming back from injury.

On top of all of this we are hoping Ross will get the most out of the under performing players.

Unpopular but fact: Watters got the best out of Dempster by encouraging him to back himself skill wise.

It will be interesting to see how the "Ratten success stories" go under RL (Wood, McKenzie, Butler).

He probably was individually a better player under Watters but that Lyon defensive set up was so tight that it strangled sides. Ross was able to win an excess of games because he played team and system over individuals. Geelong was like that this year. The individual parts weren't as good as the whole.

Sydney and Richmond both have it too. The individual parts don't look that exciting on paper but they both have a team game that crushes opposition. Brisbane is probably the most obviously attacking and opening up side of the top 4 sides. Carlton and Collingwood are free runners but Collingwood's back 6 are so good that it makes up for a less team defence type set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably was individually a better player under Watters but that Lyon defensive set up was so tight that it strangled sides. Ross was able to win an excess of games because he played team and system over individuals. Geelong was like that this year. The individual parts weren't as good as the whole.

Sydney and Richmond both have it too. The individual parts don't look that exciting on paper but they both have a team game that crushes opposition. Brisbane is probably the most obviously attacking and opening up side of the top 4 sides. Carlton and Collingwood are free runners but Collingwood's back 6 are so good that it makes up for a less team defence type set up.

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather the team was winning than an individual was playing well. But Dempster got that AA jumper in a decent 2012 side that won more games than it lost and scored heavily. Also lost an inordinate number of close games.

I know I've ranted about this in the past, but seriously, I really hope we retire the #10 jumper. The last player to play more than 20 games in their entire Saints career in it was Steven Baker.

I do not want to see any more of our players ruined by it.

Forget the list, we need our transitions into the forward line to become functional.
If that happens the list will look great.
Exactly this..

We have shown in patches over the last 2 years how good we are when we get a roll on and when it clicks.

Our “lack of talent” is completely overstated by those outside the club.

Our issue is more gameplan/mental than lack of talent. We’re not a deep list. But our best 25 is certainly good enough to beat anyone with the right gameplan and mindset. Not saying that we will win a flag but we should still be a top 8 team.

Unpopular but fact: Watters got the best out of Dempster by encouraging him to back himself skill wise.

It will be interesting to see how the "Ratten success stories" go under RL (Wood, McKenzie, Butler).
They should all be favourites of Ross because they work hard and give 100% effort all the time.
It’s lack of a gameplan and quality forward entries that hurt Butler but he’s top 5 in the league for forward half pressure.

I can't see how Dmac won't thrive under Ross. He's exactly the sort of player Ross loves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back