What do you think will be possible in 10 year's time

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to gauge the pace of change. On one hand, things don't seem that different from 10 years ago, on the other, smartphones are 10 years old and they are completely ubiquitous.

Self driving cars will probably be common, and virtual reality headsets will be advanced enough that you will be able to 'see' famous landmarks and countries from your lounge room.

It's hard to gauge the pace of change. On one hand, things don't seem that different from 10 years ago, on the other, smartphones are 10 years old and they are completely ubiquitous.

Smartphones are a big change. Everybody has a computer and the internet in their pocket.

Looking back 20 years a go and breaking it down into 10 year blocks each decade tends to bring about 1 or 2 major changes rather than a heap. As in robots rule, we all live forever, we have fast driverless cars rather there tends to be 1 or 2 issues and the rest are developed slower or later.

Looking at my life the major changes I've seen:

a) The rise of the Internet and Social Media to a huge extent. Growing up without and reflecting on how we live with it now is massive.

b) Natural = Global Warming going from some airy fairy concept to seeing real tangible evidence. Now it may be bullshit, the sceptics maybe spot on but the climate has changed.

c) Economically - The rise and rise of China. Growing up China was a third world poverty ridden country. While there is still much poverty the wealth they have accumulated in even 20 years is astronomical.

Future = I think medicine. How we treat disease and DNA/Gene therapy will emerge. Cloning which has been on the back burner will be a huge thing.

Life: I honestly think the days of job for life is gone. People will be like Actors and just have to get used to long periods of unemployment.

Robots will become mainstream and dominate = Not convinced

tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Self driving cars will probably be common, and virtual reality headsets will be advanced enough that you will be able to 'see' famous landmarks and countries from your lounge room.

I'm not sold on driverless cars yet. The tech already exists, but I'm not sure the time frame is long enough. Tesla have been selling electric cars for 5 years and they are a still a bit of a novelty and you get to drive them.

Smart phones as a concept have been around a while. Phones that could access the internet, play music, send photos etc. have been a thing since the early 2000s but the tech was s**t. I remember when the Nokia 6110 Navigator came out and thinking a phone which did Sat Nav was brilliant. Now a phone that still has buttons looks like a relic. As the touch screen tech and microprocessing power and data transfer/storage has increased the possibilities have come to bear. I can type (or speak) an address into Google maps and it will locate it on the map, plot a route, show me PT options etc. in half a second then give me turn by turn navigation if I want it. Brilliant.

What I really notice these days is how reliant people are on their phones and how they have overtaken other devices. In the years I was at uni (2002 to 2006) I bought a mobile phone (possibly more but Nokia 3210s outlast cockroaches), UBD (street directory, people under 25 have probably never seen one), digital camera, iPod and a GPS. These days I usually get a new phone when my 2 year plan is up and I don't even consider buying any of those other things. People will go to Bunnings then look up something in Bunnings on their phone before walking around looking for it or asking someone. It's near impossible to have a conversation with someone these days without 'I'll show you on my phone' or 'I'll look it up on my phone' etc. It's actually a bit sad to just go to a cafe or something and people watch and try to find a table with no one using their phone. It's also sad that people instinctively pull our their phone for any event. Weddings, concerts, kids parties... something's going to happen, need to record it in a shaky portrait-oriented video. I've been to weddings where they have requested no phone photos, because you see a professional photo the bride and groom walking down the aisle and all you see in the background is phones held up.

IMO current phones are really about as powerful as they need to be. I can do pretty much anything on my Galaxy S7 as I can on my laptop if I want to. They'll get faster processors and more RAM and more memory but I won't ever decide I don't need a computer because they keyboard interface and large screen are important to me for doing work.

I'm not sold on driverless cars yet. The tech already exists, but I'm not sure the time frame is long enough. Tesla have been selling electric cars for 5 years and they are a still a bit of a novelty and you get to drive them.

Smart phones as a concept have been around a while. Phones that could access the internet, play music, send photos etc. have been a thing since the early 2000s but the tech was s**t. I remember when the Nokia 6110 Navigator came out and thinking a phone which did Sat Nav was brilliant. Now a phone that still has buttons looks like a relic. As the touch screen tech and microprocessing power and data transfer/storage has increased the possibilities have come to bear. I can type (or speak) an address into Google maps and it will locate it on the map, plot a route, show me PT options etc. in half a second then give me turn by turn navigation if I want it. Brilliant.

What I really notice these days is how reliant people are on their phones and how they have overtaken other devices. In the years I was at uni (2002 to 2006) I bought a mobile phone (possibly more but Nokia 3210s outlast cockroaches), UBD (street directory, people under 25 have probably never seen one), digital camera, iPod and a GPS. These days I usually get a new phone when my 2 year plan is up and I don't even consider buying any of those other things. People will go to Bunnings then look up something in Bunnings on their phone before walking around looking for it or asking someone. It's near impossible to have a conversation with someone these days without 'I'll show you on my phone' or 'I'll look it up on my phone' etc. It's actually a bit sad to just go to a cafe or something and people watch and try to find a table with no one using their phone. It's also sad that people instinctively pull our their phone for any event. Weddings, concerts, kids parties... something's going to happen, need to record it in a shaky portrait-oriented video. I've been to weddings where they have requested no phone photos, because you see a professional photo the bride and groom walking down the aisle and all you see in the background is phones held up.

IMO current phones are really about as powerful as they need to be. I can do pretty much anything on my Galaxy S7 as I can on my laptop if I want to. They'll get faster processors and more RAM and more memory but I won't ever decide I don't need a computer because they keyboard interface and large screen are important to me for doing work.

I agree about driverless cars. I'll believe it when I see it. There is such a huge range of situations that need to be dealt with. Just off the top of my head : a flash flood on one side of the road, a set of traffic lights not working, a road incident controlled by police. When you are talking about 2 ton vehicles travelling at speeds of up to 110 km/h then the safety requirements might mean fully driverless cars are many years away.

I think with phones there are a few different enhancements happening in the near future. Handsets will be built from materials that allow them to bend, or for you to wear the device eg as a bracelet or headset. 5G will offer much greater connectivity that allows more interaction with other people/computers and also the real world (location-based augmented reality). The camera and display devices will be better interfaced with people. There will be discrete/fashionable wearable devices that receive images/video, and also allow easy viewing of large screens of information. From your example at a wedding, you might be able to switch between what you see with your eyes - and real time of the professional photographer's images.

I agree. I like the idea of driverless cars for safety reasons as there are far too many unskilled drivers who are granted licenses far too easily, but for such a system to work, every car on the road needs to be 'plugged in' otherwise it falls down. So that takes time and not everyone can afford a new car. There are also security concerns, such as a terrorist/cyber attack or any number of possibilities where the system may crash.

I think it will happen, but could be 30 years or more away.

The tech needs to be smart and it also needs to be secure.

I drive on Perth's N/S freeway a couple of times a week and people are complete retreads. You can get a car to autonomously travel at 80 km/h, maintain distances in each direction etc. but is the tech smart enough to react when some nimrod crosses an unbroken line into your lane without checking their blind spot?

Security is huge, too. What's to say some neckbeard in a dark room somewhere can't hack into the system like Seth Green in The Italian Job? It's a bit like nuclear power. One little scare somewhere and the public lose confidence in a hurry and want what they know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back