What do you want our team to be like by 2022.

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Posted this in another thread but this is my dream of what our team would look like in 2022.

FB: D.Byrne-Jones | T.Clurey | R.Grundy
HB: R.Burton | D.Howard | D.Houston
C: X.Duursma | S.Coniglio | R.Bonner
R: S.Hayes | S.Powell-Pepper | Wines
HF: C.Rozee | J.Lukosious | Z.Butters
FF: S.Lycett | T.Marshall | K.Farrell

I: W.Drew | T.Schofield | J.Atley | J.Mead
Coach: Jarrod Schofield.

In think we have a great young core coming through but there is obviously a few type of players that we need to target in the next few season.

1. A dominant midfielder. I’ve got Coniglio as the one we could get, but it could be anyone else such as Kelly. We need to target a player like this in the next couple of years that can be a major factor while a young stars are developing.

2. A Tall Forward that can lead us into the future. I’ve got Lukosious in this position who can hopefully turn into the player he’s hyped up to be and we can get him in a couple of years for a reasonable price and can lead our forward line into the future.

3. Probably would like a defender to replace Grundy or Howard because they are both unknowns in the future.

Apart from this maybe target an elite wingman and then after that we should just go through the draft and develop the young core we already have who look very promising at the moment.

Could also add players such as Patmore, Cox, Woodcock in this team who also look promising but unknown.

LukeSA

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I want us to be a reliable team, one who punishes s**t teams, runs with the top tier and puts in the same effort week in week out and not flipping a coin as to what team comes out.

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
IMO no point including Coniglio or Lukosius. Otherwise we may as well put in Fyfe and Dangerfield too.

FF Lycett, Marshall, Farrell
HF Rozee, Frampton, Butters
C Duursma, Wines, Burton
HB Garner, Howard, Byrne-Jones
FB Houston, Clurey, Lienert

RUCK
Hayes
Drew
Powell-Pepper

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FF Lycett NEW KPF Farrell
HF Rozee Marshall Butters
C Duursma Drew Burton
R Hayes Wines Powell-Pepper
HB Garner Howard Lienert
FB Houston Clurey Byrne-Jones

INT
Taj Schofeild Tex Wanganeen Atley XXX

Few Blanks that need filling through the draft/trade/FA. Bit surprised no one has mentioned the first two i have named on the bench as coming up F/S selections.

Should Grundy develop and/or we find another good KPD through the draft maybe Howard swings forward.

A Westhoff like Mr.fix it that can play anywhere would be nice.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didn't someone on this board say that Schofield doesn't want to coach his kid (which is fair). So I doubt he will still be at the club once his kid starts playing unfortunately.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I'd like to actually have some hope that we'll be something other than just a mid table team.

I remember walking out in Rnd 23 a broken supporter. We had absolutely zero hope on the horizon, had a failing coach locked in for 3 more years, and once again finished mid table with a lack of mental fortitude glaring across so many of our games.

Fast forward 8 months, and a few of our fans have forgotten the years of failure and are all up and about but I'm still struggling to adapt to the acceptance of mediocrity that those RCG supporters have embraced.

Thats not to say that a little bit of hope hasnt returned, because it has come back through the great kids weve grabbed, which basically offset the really good young players we lost. However its a long term hope which is balanced out with the concerns around the impending loss of our current best players in Boak, Rocky, Gray, Ryder, Dixon, Etc. So while there is that hint of hope, we still have so much recruiting and drafting to do to hold ground let alone improve. Outside of all of that, we still have the same failing coach leading a program that's looking like it is desperate for a change, a coach that has failed to develop many players and/or get the best out of many and has basically voiced his acceptance of mediocrity, which really struggles to invite hope.

So for me we are still in a weird state of flux. I don't know where we are going, what we stand for and I really have no idea how many years we are expecting it will take to become a contender again. It's been so many years since we performed beyond expectations, and until that happens again it's hard to embrace the path we're on.

I hope that by 2022 the hope is not only back, but we are again expecting greatness and not just accepting mediocrity, i hope we have drafted some more elite talent, and the talent we've got has been developed to a new level. I hope we have a coach that is extracting the best form out of our group with a game plan that gets results, and that we're a top 4 side challenging for a flag again.

Last edited:

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree and I hope you’re right. Unfortunately for Sam, he is tall. Therefore he is unlikely to develop at our footy club.
Gee. You are cynical and funny at the same time. Glad people don’t take what’s posted in this forum too seriously.

Like this...

a_250904sptfinal6_19hq4ft-19hq4g5.jpg

Back