Mod. Notice What do you want to see on the Geelong Board in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a little more respect.

I like it here, but an attack / pack dog mentality seems to have insinuated itself over the last few years.

Too often posters are attacked simply for expressing an opinion, and mocked without fair and reasonable discussion and debate of the opinion put forward.

I have pondered leaving this site a couple of times in recent years because of the personal crap here, but have persisted in the hope it’d improve, but it seems to be a forlorn hope.
I thought that was common knowledge around here?

I thought that was common knowledge around here?

Well, I’ve tried to deny it, believe in the good, but I can’t deny it any longer.

I’m told we’re all following the same club here, but the way people are often mocked for putting forward thoughts and opinions for debate, without the merits of the hypothesis even being considered or engaged, makes me wonder.

There is little tolerance at times for alternative thoughts and opinions, and posters are ridiculed for just having the temerity to express them.

There’s an argumentative, antagonistic air here at times, and one would be forgiven for thinking it was Bay 13. I understand it’s a forum, I’m not precious and I have a thick skin, but surely it’s not that hard to give some respect and consideration to a differing perspective, and engage it with sensible discussion to analyse its merits?

And I’m not condoning blatant trolling.

Well, I’ve tried to deny it, believe in the good, but I can’t deny it any longer.

I’m told we’re all following the same club here, but the way people are often mocked for putting forward thoughts and opinions for debate, without the merits of the hypothesis even being considered or engaged, makes me wonder.

There is little tolerance at times for alternative thoughts and opinions, and posters are ridiculed for just having the temerity to express them.

There’s an argumentative, antagonistic air here at times, and one would be forgiven for thinking it was Bay 13. I understand it’s a forum, I’m not precious and I have a thick skin, but surely it’s not that hard to give some respect and consideration to a differing perspective, and engage it with sensible discussion to analyse its merits?

There are several options available to you if someone engages you in a manner you don’t like:

1. Don’t respond. See fuel/fire principle.
2. Tell them so. Maybe they don’t realise it and need to be told.
3. If the post is in breach of BigFooty rules, report it. Way too many people would rather complain than do this.
4. Fight back. That’s your right. But be aware you risk overstepping the mark yourself and contributing to the “culture” you describe.
5. Sorry to say it, but leave. It’s voluntary. It’s at times adversarial. There are disagreements. It can get mean. It is anyone’s right here to question, mock and even ridicule any other opinion, within reason. That’s a fundamental tenant of public debate. They in turn will be open to being judged and questioned/mocked/ridiculed themselves. And so on.

But more broadly, the moderator group has put enormous work into limiting the culture you describe and, based on our own views and our survey results from last year, we have been pretty successful at doing so. The current climate is light years ahead of where it was a few years back and even where it was twelve months ago. We will continue to do what we can to improve it but I fundamentally disagree with the suggestion there’s some sort of scourge here to deal with. Moreover, posters need to take more ownership themselves of changing the culture in the direction they would like to see it move. The first four of the five steps above are the tools available to you.

There are several options available to you if someone engages you in a manner you don’t like:

1. Don’t respond. See fuel/fire principle.
2. Tell them so. Maybe they don’t realise it and need to be told.
3. If the post is in breach of BigFooty rules, report it. Way too many people would rather complain than do this.
4. Fight back. That’s your right. But be aware you risk overstepping the mark yourself and contributing to the “culture” you describe.
5. Sorry to say it, but leave. It’s voluntary. It’s at times adversarial. There are disagreements. It can get mean. It is anyone’s right here to question, mock and even ridicule any other opinion, within reason. That’s a fundamental tenant of public debate. They in turn will be open to being judged and questioned/mocked/ridiculed themselves. And so on.

But more broadly, the moderator group has put enormous work into limiting the culture you describe and, based on our own views and our survey results from last year, we have been pretty successful at doing so. The current climate is light years ahead of where it was a few years back and even where it was twelve months ago. We will continue to do what we can to improve it but I fundamentally disagree with the suggestion there’s some sort of scourge here to deal with. Moreover, posters need to take more ownership themselves of changing the culture in the direction they would like to see it move. The first four of the five steps above are the tools available to you.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m aware of the tools available, but appreciate the reminder nonetheless.

I’ve never felt particularly aggrieved personally as A) I try not to get involved in the s**t fights, and B) I extricate myself quietly if I see a discussion becoming overly volatile or personal.

My comments are largely made with an eye to the interactions / arguments of others here. I’m no crusader, but I don’t understand why it’s necessary. Yes, it’s a public forum, but surely an improved level of respect and tolerance from all of us isn’t that hard, nor detrimental?

And yes, I concur that the Mods have done a pretty good job cleaning this place up somewhat.

Can it be better? Yes. Always room for improvement. See above.

Is it a scourge? No, I wouldn’t go that far, but at times it’s exasperating sorting through the personal stuff to follow the discussion.

Have I / do I use the ignore function? You bet. But the trade-off there is that holes appear in the thread which can make it hard to follow at times.

Anyhow, I’ve put it out there for discussion, which is what this place is about right?

Carry on.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m aware of the tools available, but appreciate the reminder nonetheless.

I’ve never felt particularly aggrieved personally as A) I try not to get involved in the s**t fights, and B) I extricate myself quietly if I see a discussion becoming overly volatile or personal.

My comments are largely made with an eye to the interactions / arguments of others here. I’m no crusader, but I don’t understand why it’s necessary. Yes, it’s a public forum, but surely an improved level of respect and tolerance from all of us isn’t that hard, nor detrimental?

And yes, I concur that the Mods have done a pretty good job cleaning this place up somewhat.

Can it be better? Yes. Always room for improvement. See above.

Is it a scourge? No, I wouldn’t go that far, but at times it’s exasperating sorting through the personal stuff to follow the discussion.

Have I / do I use the ignore function? You bet. But the trade-off there is that holes appear in the thread which can make it hard to follow at times.

Anyhow, I’ve put it out there for discussion, which is what this place is about right?

Carry on.
It’d be great if everyone was just nice. But it’s a bit unrealistic in a place like this where people are passionate and hold a range of different views.

Anyway, this thread is about constructive suggestions. Welcome any that you might have.

I like it here, but an attack / pack dog mentality seems to have insinuated itself over the last few years.

Too often posters are attacked simply for expressing an opinion, and mocked without fair and reasonable discussion and debate of the opinion put forward.

I have pondered leaving this site a couple of times in recent years because of the personal crap here, but have persisted in the hope it’d improve, but it seems to be a forlorn hope.
You and I normally see things in the same light,but not today I thought the board took a step in the right direction early last year and by years end had improved to be the best it's been for 3 years or so,there are still one or two who can't help them selves and over step the mark from time to time but they are being dealt with more quickly today than in times gone bye too.When the footy starts I think we will be in good shape here,hope so anyway.Hang in there.

You and I normally see things in the same light,but not today I thought the board took a step in the right direction early last year and by years end had improved to be the best it's been for 3 years or so,there are still one or two who can't help them selves and over step the mark from time to time but they are being dealt with more quickly today than in times gone bye too.When the footy starts I think we will be in good shape here,hope so anyway.Hang in there.

Yes, there is less tolerance for the personal stuff, and respect to the Mods for that.

Hopefully it continues, and they react even swifter to the rubbish that appears here from time to time. Can’t be an easy job though.

I’ve signed the pledge, so I’ll do my bit.

Yes, there is less tolerance for the personal stuff, and respect to the Mods for that.

Hopefully it continues, and they react even swifter to the rubbish that appears here from time to time. Can’t be an easy job though.

I’ve signed the pledge, so I’ll do my bit.
More Matt Dillon and less Chester,I agree with that.

Frankly, I think it comes down to bad manners! There is a lot of ego involved when people express disdain for another's opinion. Both manifest as intolerance, but it stems also from ignorance.

When people ridicule another's thoughts/opinions I think it says more about them. I'm not meaning light-hearted banter, which is great fun. When people mock someone, or stoop to personal insults, it usually means they have no rational or intelligent contribution with which to refute an argument.

In all parts of our lives there are people who cause friction, it just seems that it is more prevalent online. So keyboard warriors appear, who would never have the bravado to speak so brazenly to someone's face.

Words have different meanings + nuances for people, + some words can be charged for someone, who has experienced hurt from that word, while another person has no emotion attached to it. Consequently, they bite. I also find that some are irascible, which is extremely difficult to handle online. When people react negatively + behave poorly, I think it's imperative to realise: that is THEIR reality, it's not your reality. Most of the discussion here is just opinion, so there is no right or wrong. Even when discussing facts, having different opinions does not make one right + the other wrong. The disappointing reality is that some people have to be right all the time +/or always have to have the last word.

So to address you personally Cataholic, because the above is a general comment. I do hope you know that you are a most valued poster on BF? I'd be very disappointed if you decided to leave, especially due to the ill mannered behaviour of a few ****silly people! I think there are many more posters who value + respect you than the few are intolerant + rude.

Frankly, I think it comes down to bad manners! There is a lot of ego involved when people express disdain for another's opinion. Both manifest as intolerance, but it stems also from ignorance.

When people ridicule another's thoughts/opinions I think it says more about them. I'm not meaning light-hearted banter, which is great fun. When people mock someone, or stoop to personal insults, it usually means they have no rational or intelligent contribution with which to refute an argument.

In all parts of our lives there are people who cause friction, it just seems that it is more prevalent online. So keyboard warriors appear, who would never have the bravado to speak so brazenly to someone's face.

Words have different meanings + nuances for people, + some words can be charged for someone, who has experienced hurt from that word, while another person has no emotion attached to it. Consequently, they bite. I also find that some are irascible, which is extremely difficult to handle online. When people react negatively + behave poorly, I think it's imperative to realise: that is THEIR reality, it's not your reality. Most of the discussion here is just opinion, so there is no right or wrong. Even when discussing facts, having different opinions does not make one right + the other wrong. The disappointing reality is that some people have to be right all the time +/or always have to have the last word.

So to address you personally Cataholic, because the above is a general comment. I do hope you know that you are a most valued poster on BF? I'd be very disappointed if you decided to leave, especially due to the ill mannered behaviour of a few ****silly people! I think there are many more posters who value + respect you than the few are intolerant + rude.

Thanks HK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure people have been saying this since Moses was in a reed basket, stick to the frkn title of the thread!

There are multiple options, always. I'm sure with a little effort you can post in the appropriate thread, so that people clicking to view comments about a particular topic, don't have to scroll thru pages b4 finding anything relevant.

The Total Footy gone from 'Geelong - Total Footy'
FYI - that has been brought up with site bosses - no resolution as of yet.

GO Catters

Last season I liked the goal kicking competition.

On top of that, the tipping competition where we tipped one winner each week prior to the start of the season.

Could be interesting to extend that to having to tip each game prior to the start of the season and seeing the cumulative total at seasons end versus weekly tipping - but that would be a bit of work for someone/s to look after

After a loss criticism will come and is fully warranted.

However, the pervasion of that thru every post on every topic is not warranted and will be dealt with.
Go Catters
I'm hearing you, daz, not oblivious to our team's flaws here but there's always going to be room for improvement even after wins :)

Unlike in the broader external world, in the football world there is a clear objective right and wrong which is defined by the scoreboard and flags. Thus in most football arguments there is someone that is more right then others even if most of us cant tell due to limited data. Just because the data is often incoherrent and limited does not mean there are just subjective opinions of which none are right or wrong because in football that is clearly not the case.

i could see how this is an issue debated for hours yet no resoution found. The complexity is mind boggling.
Well said smart arse.

Feel free to get involved any time you want.

Oh wait.. you'd rather just sit there and s**t stir the efforts of those that give up their time to be involved.

Flog.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back