Mod. Notice What do you want to see on the Geelong Board in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
from posters with footy-playing experience about how the team is structuring up, especially from those that went to games and could see much more than what the tv screen shows.

for example: one the best bits of information I got from a footy show was how one team at stoppages was positioning its mids behind their opponents. in effect they made a ring around the ball up with their direct opponents on the inside. I think it was to negate a break out or spread or something. fascinating.

any insights or observations from experienced eyes would be greatly appreciated. too bad 'expert' commentators can't do this during the dam game.

from posters with footy-playing experience about how the team is structuring up, especially from those that went to games and could see much more than what the tv screen shows.

for example: one the best bits of information I got from a footy show was how one team at stoppages was positioning its mids behind their opponents. in effect they made a ring around the ball up with their direct opponents on the inside. I think it was to negate a break out or spread or something. fascinating.

any insights or observations from experienced eyes would be greatly appreciated. too bad 'expert' commentators can't do this during the dam game.
David the Cat is one that has that experience, but does rely on TV in Switzerland.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Ideas for new ongoing threads, competitions, ways of doing things, etc.?
CE the board improved out of sight in 2017 mainly through the harder line taken by the Mods on serial offenders in all areas, if this approach is carried into 2018 we'll be on solid footings again where everyone can have their say without being attacked personalty.Make it happen.

Well i suggested going harder at opposition who gleefully come to our board after a loss? Not sure what the problem is
They dont last very long if their input is less than savoury.
And as always, feel free to report what you feel is in appropriate.
Having perused the report list for the year, I dont see much in the way of that from you.
Feel free to get involved in the process anytime you want.

Go Catters

I'd like to see less tolerance to clear trolls and personal abuse. We've gone a long way to stamping it out.

Keep up the good work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well i suggested going harder at opposition who gleefully come to our board after a loss? Not sure what the problem is
Would public hangings at Eastern Beach do the trick??

im more for the old stock and rotting lettuce, tomatoes and a sun dial.

Go Catters

Seriously before the jocularity. My suggestion is the other thread.
So I'd like that.
To be clear, the thread isn’t an opportunity to whinge and moan about moderating/moderators.

Constructive suggestions welcome.
yes/no is mocking about moderators embarrassing moments allowed...
Would public hangings at Eastern Beach do the trick??
Yes. Happy to pull the lever. (Ha. Lever. #feederclub)

I make a suggestion and you take the piss. Classy
I notice that you had no reply to my suggestion that you actually do something about yourself and get involved rather than simply complain about it.

Then again, you should stick to what you do best.

GO Catters

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair to say that Warhorse, Nakia, YPO, myself and others all believe a harder line against blatant trolling and personal abuse wouldn’t go astray.

Been some solid progress in this area, but like everything, always room for improvement.

That said, we have to play our part and report offending posts. Not reasonable to expect the mods to catch it all.

Fair to say that Warhorse, Nakia, YPO, myself and others all believe a harder line against blatant trolling and personal abuse wouldn’t go astray.

Been some solid progress in this area, but like everything, always room for improvement.

That said, we have to play our part and report offending posts. Not reasonable to expect the mods to catch it all.
Probably timely to remind people too that action can be taken against a troll - a minor (one point) or three point infraction - which will not be at all visible to other posters on the board. It’s only when it trips the poster over to 5, 10, 15 or 20 infraction points that it will be obvious they have been sanctioned - they get a suspension and their name appears in red.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably timely to remind people too that action can be taken against a troll - a minor (one point) or three point infraction - which will not be at all visible to other posters on the board. It’s only when it trips the poster over to 5, 10, 15 or 20 infraction points that it will be obvious they have been sanctioned - they get a suspension and their name appears in red.

Yeah, something for us to remember.

Easy to forget there can be / is action behind the scenes that we don’t see.

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
I like this myself but I can’t say I understand it.

Most of the people who are personally abusing users are abusing users they believe to be ‘trolls’ and these trolls are only being labelled trolls because they simply disagree with the opinion of others time and time again. Not everyone agrees with each other every time & nobody has to like each other but we all need to get along. and guys like Biggy who may be more critical of the club than most others has been cyberbullied and labeled a troll simply because he comments about wanting the betterment of our club in his own opinion/way going forward.

That doesn’t make you a troll. That makes you just as passionate about the club as say GC26 or Gero however showing it in a different manner. Can’t someone be disillusioned with the way the club has been run? Yes just look at half of North supporters and the way they dislike their Scott twin as coach.

Do the people on here actually know what a troll is? Honestly? A troll is someone who sits online baiting people for personal enjoyment. Whether that’s full on abuse to others or laughing at misfortunes of others because they’re sick minded and get a kick out of it. Technically if anybody on this board is actually a troll it is the users who insult forumers such as Biggy_Boy for having different ideas.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I like this myself but I can’t say I understand it.

Most of the people who are personally abusing users are abusing users they believe to be ‘trolls’ and these trolls are only being labelled trolls because they simply disagree with the opinion of others time and time again. Not everyone agrees with each other every time & nobody has to like each other but we all need to get along. and guys like Biggy who may be more critical of the club than most others has been cyberbullied and labeled a troll simply because he comments about wanting the betterment of our club in his own opinion/way going forward.

That doesn’t make you a troll. That makes you just as passionate about the club as say GC26 or Gero however showing it in a different manner. Can’t someone be disillusioned with the way the club has been run? Yes just look at half of North supporters and the way they dislike their Scott twin as coach.

Do the people on here actually know what a troll is? Honestly? A troll is someone who sits online baiting people for personal enjoyment. Whether that’s full on abuse to others or laughing at misfortunes of others because they’re sick minded and get a kick out of it. Technically if anybody on this board is actually a troll it is the users who insult forumers such as Biggy_Boy for having different ideas.

Yes, agree with you. It comes down to the interpretation of trolling.......and I did say ‘blatant’ trolling.

I referred, in the main, to posters from outside. But sad to say, there are some here who pose as GFC supporters just to bait others.

For the record, I’m on record as saying - on a number of occasions - that Biggy is a knowledgeable poster who can contribute much to the discussions here. We’ve had disagreements, yes, but thats often been the consequence of my exasperation with his bias towards the negative.

In fairness I’ve never found him to be personally abusive. Better than can be said for some others who are deliberately snide, sarcastic, and provocative for the sake of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back