Mod. Notice What do you want to see on the Geelong Board in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I like this myself but I can’t say I understand it.

Most of the people who are personally abusing users are abusing users they believe to be ‘trolls’ and these trolls are only being labelled trolls because they simply disagree with the opinion of others time and time again. Not everyone agrees with each other every time & nobody has to like each other but we all need to get along. and guys like Biggy who may be more critical of the club than most others has been cyberbullied and labeled a troll simply because he comments about wanting the betterment of our club in his own opinion/way going forward.

That doesn’t make you a troll. That makes you just as passionate about the club as say GC26 or Gero however showing it in a different manner. Can’t someone be disillusioned with the way the club has been run? Yes just look at half of North supporters and the way they dislike their Scott twin as coach.

Do the people on here actually know what a troll is? Honestly? A troll is someone who sits online baiting people for personal enjoyment. Whether that’s full on abuse to others or laughing at misfortunes of others because they’re sick minded and get a kick out of it. Technically if anybody on this board is actually a troll it is the users who insult forumers such as Biggy_Boy for having different ideas.

As always, I appreciate the support. I believe we're all here because we want to see the club do well, and I always post from that position. I don't believe that entails blind support of and optimism in regard to everything it does. I think that the forum could do without a lot of the petty name-calling and baiting on either side of the chasm that has been established here in recent years.

And I do think a harder line could be taken against opposition trolls. I think they are often treated with more leniency than regular Geelong board posters.

I also don't think people should get away with petty attacks via PM when they follow me onto the main board and find a post I've expressed there because I know it would tread too close to the line on here...

As always, I appreciate the support. I believe we're all here because we want to see the club do well, and I always post from that position. I don't believe that entails blind support of and optimism in regard to everything it does. I think that the forum could do without a lot of the petty name-calling and baiting on either side of the chasm that has been established here in recent years.

And I do think a harder line could be taken against opposition trolls. I think they are often treated with more leniency than regular Geelong board posters.

I also don't think people should get away with petty attacks via PM when they follow me onto the main board and find a post I've expressed there because I know it would tread too close to the line on here...

Thanks for the input.
Once again however, an examination of the report list for the year indicates a virtual non appearance of anything from yourself on this issue.
Perhaps we can hope your post and hopes for the board inspires more report participation on this issue from you for the coming season.

As for PM's sent to any poster of an abusive nature - there is zero tolerance for this and Mods should be contacted if this occurs.

Go Catters

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Thanks for the input.
Once again however, an examination of the report list for the year indicates a virtual non appearance of anything from yourself on this issue.
Perhaps we can hope your post and hopes for the board inspires more report participation on this issue from you for the coming season.

As for PM's sent to any poster of an abusive nature - there is zero tolerance for this and Mods should be contacted if this occurs.

Go Catters
I reported it. Don't know what happened on your end. Maybe a global/admin dealt with it.

And I report posts all the time. What are you talking about?

I reported it. Don't know what happened on your end. Maybe a global/admin dealt with it.

And I report posts all the time. What are you talking about?
I didnt see reports for opposition troll posts as you referred to but will look again.

Will investigate RE the PM reports as they should have been resolved.

Go Catters

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Most of the people who are personally abusing users are abusing users they believe to be ‘trolls’ and these trolls are only being labelled trolls because they simply disagree with the opinion of others time and time again. Not everyone agrees with each other every time & nobody has to like each other but we all need to get along. and guys like Biggy who may be more critical of the club than most others has been cyberbullied and labeled a troll simply because he comments about wanting the betterment of our club in his own opinion/way going forward.

That doesn’t make you a troll. That makes you just as passionate about the club as say GC26 or Gero however showing it in a different manner. Can’t someone be disillusioned with the way the club has been run? Yes just look at half of North supporters and the way they dislike their Scott twin as coach.

Do the people on here actually know what a troll is? Honestly? A troll is someone who sits online baiting people for personal enjoyment. Whether that’s full on abuse to others or laughing at misfortunes of others because they’re sick minded and get a kick out of it. Technically if anybody on this board is actually a troll it is the users who insult forumers such as Biggy_Boy for having different ideas.

Great post. Can't sum it up any better than that.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Probably timely to remind people too that action can be taken against a troll - a minor (one point) or three point infraction - which will not be at all visible to other posters on the board. It’s only when it trips the poster over to 5, 10, 15 or 20 infraction points that it will be obvious they have been sanctioned - they get a suspension and their name appears in red.
So my suggestion would be to put in a system where we can watch them slowly boil,either with shades of red or better still a thermometer from 1 to INFRACTION.:D

Last edited:

Posters might label other posters "troll" for having "different" opinions but I can assure you in moderating we don't give a stuff about the content of an opinion. All that matters is whether a rule was broken. That said, assessing trolling is an inherently subjective task. So the way to approach it is to provide very broad tolerance of diversity of opinion as a general rule. However there's very little tolerance of deliberately provoking and eroding the enjoyment of other board members. It's not often that this occurs but when it does it's generally pretty obvious which is quite helpful as a moderator. And when it's not obvious it generally gets the benefit of the doubt.

You'd be surprised at how many reports claiming "troll" are rejected because there's no basis for the claim.

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
Posters might label other posters "troll" for having "different" opinions but I can assure you in moderating we don't give a stuff about the content of an opinion. All that matters is whether a rule was broken. That said, assessing trolling is an inherently subjective task. So the way to approach it is to provide very broad tolerance of diversity of opinion as a general rule. However there's very little tolerance of deliberately provoking and eroding the enjoyment of other board members. It's not often that this occurs but when it does it's generally pretty obvious which is quite helpful as a moderator. And when it's not obvious it generally gets the benefit of the doubt.

You'd be surprised at how many reports claiming "troll" are rejected because there's no basis for the claim.
Cheers for explaining this. An unexpected response imo.

I'd like to see more tolerance to the posting of images.

I'm not saying memes
(Although I miss JubJub's efforts dreadfully)

Some posters dislike images + complain. I'd like those posters to understand that some people are Visual, some Auditory + some Kinaesthetic. We all express ourselves in different ways. Every one of us uses a sense or two more than another to interact with our environment + to get information from it.

I'd like to see more respect shown to one another, because everyone is different + that difference doesn't mean someone is either right or wrong. This forum is about expressing opinions, discussing issues + includes a bit of banter, which can be fun.

It would be productive if those with grudges would let them go, because holding a grudge says more about you + your limitations as a person. Your point of view + how you understand reality, is YOUR reality. Not another person's reality. Imposing your limitations upon another is petty, is ignorant + is wrong.

Some respect, good manners + patience would go along way to improving every BF board.

I'd like to see more tolerance to the posting of images.

I'm not saying memes
(Although I miss JubJub's efforts dreadfully)

Some posters dislike images + complain. I'd like those posters to understand that some people are Visual, some Auditory + some Kinaesthetic. We all express ourselves in different ways. Every one of us uses a sense or two more than another to interact with our environment + to get information from it.

I'd like to see more respect shown to one another, because everyone is different + that difference doesn't mean someone is either right or wrong. This forum is about expressing opinions, discussing issues + includes a bit of banter, which can be fun.

It would be productive if those with grudges would let them go, because holding a grudge says more about you + your limitations as a person. Your point of view + how you understand reality, is YOUR reality. Not another person's reality. Imposing your limitations upon another is petty, is ignorant + is wrong.

Some respect, good manners + patience would go along way to improving every BF board.
I would like to post via music, and try it occasionally. Imagine if every post was related aptly to music. What a happy place.

I would like to post via music, and try it occasionally. Imagine if every post was related aptly to music. What a happy place.
Cue: Happy Place song from Happy Gilmore

:musicnotes::

movieposter.jpg

I love that idea Vdubs - right out of the box thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUSTER29

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2008
Perth/ Pilbara
AFL Club
Geelong
I like it. Adds some variety and a different slant on an opinion that maybe written text cannot get across.
Be nice too see these type of replies not moved too another thread too, so long as they relate too the thread at hand.

Those were the days
you can just do the Pods Cats stuff now with Kingy et al when you take over the social media manager gig at the club.

Go Catters

you can just do the Pods Cats stuff now with Kingy et al when you take over the social media manager gig at the club.

Go Catters
They wouldn't pay me enough

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think the moderators over the entire BF board should just delete obvious irrelevant ( to the thread topic)
A good example - on the main board - a topic - Richmonds greatest 10 players in their history - theres probably about 200 posts all up - and about 100 contain Richmonds worst 10 players - well the moderators should just delete those posts - their not relevat to the thread topic - i dont want to waste time reading them - so DELETE THEM

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think the moderators over the entire BF board should just delete obvious irrelevant ( to the thread topic)
A good example - on the main board - a topic - Richmonds greatest 10 players in their history - theres probably about 200 posts all up - and about 100 contain Richmonds worst 10 players - well the moderators should just delete those posts - their not relevat to the thread topic - i dont want to waste time reading them - so DELETE THEM
If you became a mod your tenure wouldn't last 24 hours.

Ever thought about all the stuff we save you from reading because we delete it? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back