What does Hampton need to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have him ahead of Seedsman.

If we get 100 games out of him, it's a success. That's much more than what is typical for a second round pick.

The skill is apparent. I would like see Hampton build repeat effort strength during training ..say by flipping a big Tractor tyre from end of the oval to the other.

The skill is apparent. I would like see Hampton build repeat effort strength during training ..say by flipping a big Tractor tyre from end of the oval to the other.
Does he need more strength or is running capacity more an issue?

He needs to be played to his strengths, wingman, or even onballer, rotating through the half forward line. So say Douglas and Hampton in the midfield then rotate with (a far fitter) Menzel and Charlie.

I'm hoping Hamptons experience in the back line can develop into a hard "defensive running" ability which he can use to push back hard and cover/cut off offensive rebound by the opposition. God knows we need this with Thomo's currently dismal defensive pressure.

If Hampton can do this for 15+ games he well and truley deserves a pass.

Run and carry and make good decisions with clean disposal. Brodie Smith has been our biggest metres gained player. Having Hampton and Seedsman we can be a lot more damaging in our ability to transition the ball deep.

Because all his junior football where he was an absolute standout was played as a forward, a very damaging forward....he is an "offensive" weapon and we should be utilising this to the fullest. No doubt someone will raise the ONE game where he absolutely blanketed Eddie playing in defence but that was the exception not the rule, we will be wasting his core talent if we insist on playing him down back.
Think you were on the money, Bicks. Looked very exciting in his forward/mid role on last Friday.

I've been skeptical of Hampton for a little while, but I've finally jumped on the bandwagon. Looked full of confidence, and was involved in a lot of play. Reckon he can really provide something dangerous as a big-bodied wingman/HF.

Reading this thread again, it appears it could have been the most accurate thread in the boards history. Plenty had his role almost spot on, particularly considering he had come straight out of defense at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back